• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Lunar Tiger 1oz 2022, different dimensions, fake?

CoinK

Can someone help me with a Lunar Tiger 1oz 2022. Have checked it at a coin dealer who checked it in a gold analyzer machine as shown 24 carat.

But the dimensions of the coin are diameter of 31.9mm, and thickness 2.6mm, weight is 1oz exactly.

I find other measurements online. it says diameter of 32.6mm, and thickness 2.95mm.

Could the coin be fake? I've looked at it with a magnifying glass and can't find a single place where everything isn't perfect

• Founder & Administrator

Post moved to a new topic 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

2 hours ago, CoinK said:

Can someone help me with a Lunar Tiger 1oz 2022. Have checked it at a coin dealer who checked it in a gold analyzer machine as shown 24 carat.

But the dimensions of the coin are diameter of 31.9mm, and thickness 2.6mm, weight is 1oz exactly.

I find other measurements online. it says diameter of 32.6mm, and thickness 2.95mm.

Could the coin be fake? I've looked at it with a magnifying glass and can't find a single place where everything isn't perfect

Here's the thing, the specs on the online source are only approx. 

Your coin weighs correctly and you say its slightly undersized and thinner??

That tells me it's geniune, it would need to be oversized in either diameter or thickness to be the right weight ( gold density )

Now add in a dealer checked and said its 24ct... safe to say i think you are safe.

There's nothing wrong with being cautious and checking dimensions, but invest a little time to understand what your actually checking for.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Here are some pictures. I got it for spot due to some scratch. I'm new to the coin world so much to learn.

The reason why I'm asking is that I thought the mint had an precise cast that made it impossible for coins not to be exactly the same. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by CoinK

14 minutes ago, CoinK said:

Here are some pictures. I got it for spot due to some scratch. I'm new to the coin world so much to learn.

The reason why I'm asking is that I thought the mint had an precise cast that made it impossible for coins not to be exactly the same. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks pretty good to me.

They have to get the weight to within a certain point ( you can get more gold but not less) 

The size and thickness is seriously within range and like I say..under sized good...oversized bad

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 hour ago, Anteater said:

At the risk of asking a silly question - do you mean a normal ounce or one Troy ounce? (Not that I imagine fakes would target the wrong weight like that.)

That's not a silly question, and how would the OP weigh to an ounce precisely? How many decimal places? 

Also most scales now weigh in grams, not many use troy ounces.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, CoinK said:

If the Perth Mint have started casting these, then something is wrong!

😎

Chards

17 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

I agree that your coin looks fine, it's a very nice ounce of gold.

If you don't mind me saying though, you don't appear to have done much research/due diligence prior to laying out £1500, you might want to be more cautious in future.

Thanks. 

I know it's just my ADHD brain that is to impulsive when I get a hang up. I am trying to get a collection of silver and gold bullions and learned that buying used online with zero to none experience isn't the smartest idea. Looks like I'm in the clear this time. 

Are there some recommendations on smart coins to buy? I'm thinking of 2023 gold Britannia 1oz with the Queen before they start with the king. 

10 minutes ago, Happypanda88 said:

Your coin looks fine to me.

Here are pictures of mine together with the silver version.

20211127_101010.thumb.jpg.725e73aa13d41c1daf47a08bf086786f.jpg

20211127_100834.thumb.jpg.d6ff4e830d33dfd9a53f4dcb4e73e952.jpg

20211127_100928.thumb.jpg.f21300673a708f8531339f50726d8800.jpg

Thanks. Nice collection. I see I need to get the silver one😅