• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hello All :)

Very happy I managed to find this forum, I am an absolute newbie which decided to hide a bit of savings in precious metals. If there would be a possibility to suggest where I could start gaining knowledge on the subject. I did consider buying bars but after hearing it might cause loosing 25% of value while selling iw will have a go with coins first, so any tips what to look at and how to verify them would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, MackWhite said:

Very happy I managed to find this forum, I am an absolute newbie which decided to hide a bit of savings in precious metals. If there would be a possibility to suggest where I could start gaining knowledge on the subject. I did consider buying bars but after hearing it might cause loosing 25% of value while selling iw will have a go with coins first, so any tips what to look at and how to verify them would be appreciated.

When you mention loosing 25% on bars, it sounds like you are thinking about silver rather than gold.

All new silver attracts VAT at current rate of 20%, whereas "Investment Gold" is exempt.

It would be worth you reading:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

Which explains a lot!

😎

Chards

6 hours ago, MackWhite said:

Welcome aboard firstly. 

Loosing 25% on bar's? Assume you mean silver, but even so if you buy right and sell right ( spot price depending of course) then that's total codswallop. There's premium getting into silver, but also premium getting out if you sell at correct time.

Coins are more liquid and will sell quickest and if choosing britannias or a few other British coins,then they are CTG free.

But bar's especially kilos etc are the cheapest way of keeping cost average down, but then on the selling side you will also receive less profit. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

• Founder & Administrator

Hello and welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

On 05/11/2022 at 20:21, LawrenceChard said:

When you mention loosing 25% on bars, it sounds like you are thinking about silver rather than gold.

All new silver attracts VAT at current rate of 20%, whereas "Investment Gold" is exempt.

It would be worth you reading:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

Which explains a lot!

😎

Thank You for interest and attempt to fill the gaps in my knowledge but unfortunately the link doesnt seem to work :(

Just now, MackWhite said:

Thank You for interest and attempt to fill the gaps in my knowledge but unfortunately the link doesnt seem to work :(

Chards site is currently down, but will be back up and running soon. 

On 05/11/2022 at 21:44, James32 said:

Welcome aboard firstly. 

Loosing 25% on bar's? Assume you mean silver, but even so if you buy right and sell right ( spot price depending of course) then that's total codswallop. There's premium getting into silver, but also premium getting out if you sell at correct time.

Coins are more liquid and will sell quickest and if choosing britannias or a few other British coins,then they are CTG free.

But bar's especially kilos etc are the cheapest way of keeping cost average down, but then on the selling side you will also receive less profit. 

Im wondering how easy is to sell 1000g silver SEMPSA bar without certification, and how much it may cost me in percentace aspect off the spot price (assuming it will require testing)

Edited by MackWhite

15 minutes ago, MackWhite said:

Im wondering how easy is to sell 1000g silver SEMPSA bar without certification, and how much it may cost me in percentace aspect off the spot price (assuming it will require testing)

A sempsa bar sold recently, not sure on price ( can't remember) but any kilo right now should achieve £680-£700 ish on here.

Hope this helps 

Ps, as for certification, not to much of an issue tbh, those buying kilo's will be able to test authenticity.

Just now, James32 said:

A sempsa bar sold recently, not sure on price ( can't remember) but any kilo right now should achieve £680-£700 ish on here.

Hope this helps 

Thank You for the reply. It would seem that the offer is fair basing on price You have just quoted. My worry is would a new potential buyer require a cert or is the lack of it become a reason to get lower price? Or Silver isnt as valuable for people to be overly suspicious. Is there any way to check and get a certificate while owning bars. Thank You for patience its all new for me and im trying to get a grip on it.

2 minutes ago, MackWhite said:

Thank You for the reply. It would seem that the offer is fair basing on price You have just quoted. My worry is would a new potential buyer require a cert or is the lack of it become a reason to get lower price? Or Silver isnt as valuable for people to be overly suspicious. Is there any way to check and get a certificate while owning bars. Thank You for patience its all new for me and im trying to get a grip on it.

Newish members will prefer certificate, but me personally..I don't view them worth the paper they are printed on ( someone decent with computers could print their own lol)

Are you looking to buy a kilo or sell a kilo?

As for testing..

Magnet test ( check YouTube)

Pull manufacturers specs from website if possible then..

Weigh, check dimensions,then if still unsure do a specific gravity test ( check backyard bullions YouTube video explaining)

Im buying two and wondering how liquid are they without any papers as i will try to sell them at the right price. Actually all my doubts come from backyard bullions clip regarding need to test thicker bars.

2 hours ago, MackWhite said:

2 hours ago, James32 said:

Chards site is currently down, but will be back up and running soon. 

I hope the link works for you now, I just checked and it does for me.

I am aware we had an internal server error at about 4.30 this afternoon, and don't know how long it lasted. When I became aware of it, I checked with our tech support guy, and he was already aware, and working on it.

😎

Chards

2 hours ago, MackWhite said:

Strangely enough, I had never heard of Sempsa before, although they were mentioned in Lisbon recently at the https://www.lbma.org.uk/articles/lbma-lppm-launches-precious-metals-conference-2022-in-lisbon, and I believe they are now on the LBMA Good Delivery list.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, MackWhite said:

Im buying two and wondering how liquid are they without any papers as i will try to sell them at the right price. Actually all my doubts come from backyard bullions clip regarding need to test thicker bars.

That @BackyardBullion! Always putting doubts in people's minds!

I am only joking, and he is a great guy.

😎

Chards

13 hours ago, Petra said:

If you are worried, why bother buying them. There are large silver bars for sale on here on a pretty regular basis, no doubt with coa etc. 🤔

As offer compared with spot price was more than fair. 

• 2 weeks later...