• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - The Rolling Stones range

13 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

Anyone brave enough/ persevering with this series? 

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/limited-editions/music-legends/the-rolling-stones/

I bought the Elton John and ordered the 2 oz. silver Rolling Stones.  I did not get the Who, but I would for sure get the Beatles coin.  I buy the ones I like, not the whole series.  I like the Rolling Stones but was never the biggest fan.  But, I have a great deal of respect and admiration for them for their perseverance and longevity.

21 minutes ago, Petra said:

How many years ago was this story?

that's stated even in the link itself - it happened in 2003 ;)

btw, no one mentioned that looks like contrary to previous releases there is no 1/2 oz with nice packaging ;(

14 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

Awful design on this Rolling Stones coin. Remove the name and it could be any band, awful design imho.

The Who coin looked class in the 2oz Gold.

Exactly this

I agree, it looks like a generic knock-off. The design should have been that more familiar tongue, probably. But maybe it's too copyrighted....

I am dedicating my purchase of this coin to my favorite Rolling Stones song, "She's a Rainbow".  A classic of the psychedelic 1960's that was never played enough here in the U.S.  Many people love the song, and I will think of it every time I look at the coin.

On 04/12/2022 at 12:38, StackemHigh said:

Boring, bland and just too generic. The finest design the modern rm has.

Agreed.

The only one of this series I have in my collection is the Bowie one. Not just cause I'm a big Bowie fan but I like what the designers did with the selective colouring, fits the artist as it's a clear callback to the Aladdin Sane era of his catalogue. This Rolling Stone one though is just so lazy.

20221205_202246.thumb.jpg.141d57899ca7fca1167dc60c0bfb7475.jpg

My personal opinion, Bowie is the worse of all the music legends in terms of design. Queen, Elton, The Who all well designed, Rolling Stones not so great rather the tongue would'av been on the coin, but to portrait Bowie stands out ruins the look of the rest of the set in my opinion. Should'av just had the lightning bolt, plain and simple mic or something, it's a horrific looking coin, had to be bought for the set though. 

Hope the Royal Mint put some effort into the next coin design and hopefully drop the MINTAGE too otherwise what purpose is there to collecting nowadays if every Tom **** and Harry all have the same sets, same coins.  Nothing unique nomore, ruining the whole experience of collecting

Edited by NumismaticNI

It does seem a bit odd that the Bowie coin features a portrait whereas all the other coins are more emblematic. The trouble with the likes of the Stones (and perhaps the Beatles when their time comes) is one of finding an iconic image that is instantly recognisable - in the case of the Rolling Stones the lips and tongue where probably not available to use. So far, in my opinion, only the Elton John and the Who coins have achieved this.

Nevertheless, i'll be buying one. Can't wait for the Cliff Richard release  😁

On 06/12/2022 at 01:44, TeaTime said:

It does seem a bit odd that the Bowie coin features a portrait whereas all the other coins are more emblematic. The trouble with the likes of the Stones (and perhaps the Beatles when their time comes) is one of finding an iconic image that is instantly recognisable - in the case of the Rolling Stones the lips and tongue where probably not available to use. So far, in my opinion, only the Elton John and the Who coins have achieved this.

Nevertheless, i'll be buying one. Can't wait for the Cliff Richard release  😁

I agree.  This is a tough one.  It would be difficult to do realistic portraits of each band member (and at what stage of their career to do it).  It's a lot easier with just one person.  Other images, such as the lips and tongue, may be copyrighted.  I think the coin is fine and am glad I ordered the 2 oz. silver.