• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Three coin 2022 sovereign set - what do you think?

Tortoise

I am still a relatively newbie stacker.

My plan has been to buy one new bullion sovereign per year (I have thee now - woohoo!) from reputable bullion dealers, at low premiums.

Generally I am little disappointed on the modern sovs, because they don't have a nice colour, a bit too pink for my liking, but the 2022 design looked nicer than the St George design.  So I have been very slowly buying Britannias instead,  when I can.

Anyway, I must be going a bit soft, because I decided to buy a 2022 Double Sovereign after the passing of the Queen.  It didn't seem like a mistake, because the premium was a little bit lower than on the regular sov.

What I want to get a few opinions on is, would it be a mistake to get a 2022 bullion half sovereign, to have a little set of them?

I feel I may be underwhelmed at the size of a half sov and the premiums are higher, but would have a 3 coin bullion set add any extra value if I came to sell them?

If I did, does anyone know where could I get a little presentation box for them?

Or should I save my money and put it towards a Britannia?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Tortoise said:

I am still a relatively newbie stacker.

My plan has been to buy one new bullion sovereign per year (I have thee now - woohoo!) from reputable bullion dealers, at low premiums.

Generally I am little disappointed on the modern sovs, because they don't have a nice colour, a bit too pink for my liking, but the 2022 design looked nicer than the St George design.  So I have been very slowly buying Britannias instead,  when I can.

Anyway, I must be going a bit soft, because I decided to buy a 2022 Double Sovereign after the passing of the Queen.  It didn't seem like a mistake, because the premium was a little bit lower than on the regular sov.

What I want to get a few opinions on is, would it be a mistake to get a 2022 bullion half sovereign, to have a little set of them?

I feel I may be underwhelmed at the size of a half sov and the premiums are higher, but would have a 3 coin bullion set add any extra value if I came to sell them?

If I did, does anyone know where could I get a little presentation box for them?

Thanks

You have a full and double so grab a half too. Nice trio and many have done the same, will it add any extra premium over the normal? If you hold for long enough the yes a small premium to the right buyer who appreciates all three sizes together at once.

Bear in mind these are bullion coins and plentiful right now, but will hold a small premium over normal reverse sovereigns in years to come. They won't make you rich but will stand out in a cluttered sale's page.

As for the box, you could check ebay for a empty three coin proof box and use that? 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

27 minutes ago, James32 said:

You have a full and double so grab a half too. Nice trio and many have done the same, will it add any extra premium over the normal? If you hold for long enough the yes a small premium to the right buyer who appreciates all three sizes together at once.

Bear in mind these are bullion coins and plentiful right now, but will hold a small premium over normal reverse sovereigns in years to come. They won't make you rich but will stand out in a cluttered sale's page.

As for the box, you could check ebay for a empty three coin proof box and use that? 

Thanks, I am very tempted, because even if the premium is high in percentage terms it is not a large amount in pure cash terms.

I hate fleabay though.  Or more accurately the scammers on there.  I also ditched my Paypay account after they introduced an inactivity charge, since I never used it.

33 minutes ago, Tortoise said:

Three coin 2022 sovereign set - what do you think?I am still a relatively newbie stacker.

Thanks

"from reputable bullion dealers"

Is there more than one of us?

"2022 bullion half sovereign"

We were just about to do a price promotion on them, before the queen died at a very unfortunate time.

With any luck, it is merely postponed, not cancelled, but we may not know for some time.

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, Tortoise said:

Thanks, I am very tempted, because even if the premium is high in percentage terms it is not a large amount in pure cash terms.

I hate fleabay though.  Or more accurately the scammers on there.  I also ditched my Paypay account after they introduced an inactivity charge, since I never used it.

Honestly what's £10ish extra premium in today's mad world for ownership joy? It will eventually go up in value past whatever you pay now tbh. And right now just look at it as a treat that will scratch an itch?

Ps.. they're not as small as you think,still bigger that a 1/10th gold coin,just a bit thinner. 

It's a nice idea to have a 2022 bullion half, full and double sovereign as a trio.

But personally I would rather have more 2022 bullion sovereigns than spend money on a 2022 bullion half sovereign.

I have the bullion full and double sovereigns for my collection, plus two spare double sovereigns for the stack.

If I add to the stack, I will buy more 2022 bullion full and doubles.

Personally I don't think there's much, if any, premium to be had in selling the trio to a buyer as a nice little set, but you'll probably have plenty of pleasure of ownership of such a trio until you decide to sell them or pass them on.

You can't go far wrong either way!

4 hours ago, Stuntman said:

in 2022 the UK had 'double sovereigns'.

I see what you did there 😄

In regards to OP's conundrum I say go for it! I've picked up all three sizes, I'm not sure there will be any premium in the future when/if I come to sell, but it is a pleasure to be able to line them up next to each other. Side by side, there's not that much difference between the half and the full, sure the half is smaller and thinner but only slightly so. No where near the difference between the double and the full.

Be warned though, if you do pick up a half then you may find yourself having to buy two just so that you don't have a stack of X.5 sovs...that's what happened to me. Needed to round it up to a nice whole number by buying a second half so that I could sleep at night!

1 hour ago, YorkshireStacker said:

I see what you did there 😄

In regards to OP's conundrum I say go for it! I've picked up all three sizes, I'm not sure there will be any premium in the future when/if I come to sell, but it is a pleasure to be able to line them up next to each other. Side by side, there's not that much difference between the half and the full, sure the half is smaller and thinner but only slightly so. No where near the difference between the double and the full.

Be warned though, if you do pick up a half then you may find yourself having to buy two just so that you don't have a stack of X.5 sovs...that's what happened to me. Needed to round it up to a nice whole number by buying a second half so that I could sleep at night!

I know, having 0.5 will mess with my head too.  Although sovereigns already do that since my OCD likes multiples on troy oz's.  🤣

6 hours ago, Stuntman said:

It's a nice idea to have a 2022 bullion half, full and double sovereign as a trio.

But personally I would rather have more 2022 bullion sovereigns than spend money on a 2022 bullion half sovereign.

I have the bullion full and double sovereigns for my collection, plus two spare double sovereigns for the stack.

If I add to the stack, I will buy more 2022 bullion full and doubles.

Personally I don't think there's much, if any, premium to be had in selling the trio to a buyer as a nice little set, but you'll probably have plenty of pleasure of ownership of such a trio until you decide to sell them or pass them on.

You can't go far wrong either way!

I already veered a little off course with my plan to stack only full sovs and Brits, so understand why you are sticking to your plans.

I am worried I might be coming down with a nasty attack of collector-itis🤡

21 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

"from reputable bullion dealers"

Is there more than one of us?

"2022 bullion half sovereign"

We were just about to do a price promotion on them, before the queen died at a very unfortunate time.

With any luck, it is merely postponed, not cancelled, but we may not know for some time.

😎

@LawrenceChard

I left my purchase of a 2021 Britannia very late last year and ened up buying it from Sharps Pixley in London at a much higher premium than you would have charged.  Excellent service and a beautiful coin, without a visible scrtach on despite being only bullion, which was the main thing.  I won't be leaving it so late this year, another newbie lesson leant.

14 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Just quote your gold stack in grams or kilograms and you'll stop worrying about troy ounces or multiples of sovereigns 😉

If I keep stacking at my current rate I'll only have to wait....11 and a bit years until I can quote in kilos. It's good to have a target to aim for though right :D And after that I'll stick with kilos until I have to move up to square metres!

7 minutes ago, YorkshireStacker said:

If I keep stacking at my current rate I'll only have to wait....11 and a bit years until I can quote in kilos. It's good to have a target to aim for though right :D And after that I'll stick with kilos until I have to move up to square metres!

Square metres are easy with fine gold. You only need about one gram!

😎

Chards

22 minutes ago, Tortoise said:

@LawrenceChard

I left my purchase of a 2021 Britannia very late last year and ened up buying it from Sharps Pixley in London at a much higher premium than you would have charged.  Excellent service and a beautiful coin, without a visible scrtach on despite being only bullion, which was the main thing.  I won't be leaving it so late this year, another newbie lesson leant.

Never panic yourself into paying too much, or worry too much about missing out, especially if buying for investment.

More 2021 gold Britannias will keep turning up, after all, 1987 ones still do.

😎

Chards

12 hours ago, Stuntman said:

Me too nowadays - although when I'm calculating it I start with how many of each coin or bar I have and then convert it into grams of pure gold.

Being ‘Old school’ doing all these conversions does my head in!  Let me see - one sovereign has .2354 tozs of pure gold or 7.3224 grams. That means you need 5 Sovereigns to equal 1 toz (1.177 actually) Perhaps the Chinese were on to something when they changed their 1oz Pandas to 30 grams, which means they are the same value, but with 1.1035 grams less gold!
I give up….

On 20/09/2022 at 23:01, Tortoise said:

<snip>...

Personally, I think it would appeal to the 'completionists' to have a set of coins - I must fall in to that bracket, as I have a full, half & quarter 2022 Sov , but in the Blister packaging - now I want a Double Sov in the same packaging too! 😏

Don't have a pic of them all together yet, but here's the Full sov & Quarter Sov in general pictures, when I took them to my box...

DSC00520.thumb.JPG.2f4dc1f5bab756f5d802a7464b702927.JPGDSC00523.thumb.JPG.a2cf7da5a2ffb4254ac067cc18557870.JPG

Edited by Scootermuppet
forgot images! D'oh!

12 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

Personally, I think it would appeal to the 'completionists' to have a set of coins - I must fall in to that bracket, as I have a full, half & quarter 2022 Sov , but in the Blister packaging - now I want a Double Sov in the same packaging too! 😏

Don't have a pic of them all together yet, but here's the Full sov & Quarter Sov in general pictures, when I took them to my box...

That's the thing that would drive me nuts: thinking about next needing a quarter sovereign, never mind a £5 Quintuple Sovereign, which I know I wouldnever be able to get without paying a small fortune for.

Fortunately, I don't have to make a quick decsion, so have more time to mull all of this over.

I have the cheap set now. Swapped a sov to get a bullion 2022 full sovereign to go with my half and quarter bought the other day from the mint. Anyone up for swapping anything other than cash for a 2022 double? 🤔😁

10 hours ago, Petra said:

I have the cheap set now. Swapped a sov to get a bullion 2022 full sovereign to go with my half and quarter bought the other day from the mint. Anyone up for swapping anything other than cash for a 2022 double? 🤔😁

Your car ?

11 hours ago, Tortoise said:

That's the thing that would drive me nuts: thinking about next needing a quarter sovereign, never mind a £5 Quintuple Sovereign, which I know I wouldnever be able to get without paying a small fortune for.

Fortunately, I don't have to make a quick decsion, so have more time to mull all of this over.

I’m not counting the Quintuple - as far as I’m aware, RM didn’t do those in the blister packs…

Quite handy as it goes - because if they had, I’d need one of those as well! 😅