• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First dopey question

Bogart

Said it would not take long for me to start posting. So here goes.

2022 1oz Gold Bullion Britannia coin at  £1501

1oz Metalor Wafer bar £1518

Now I know not a lot of difference in the price. If anything I was expecting the coin to be the dearer of the two am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Now I know not a lot of difference in the price. If anything I was expecting the coin to be the dearer of the two am I missing something?

Other than you're paying for the packaging of bar,then not much.

Has to be a coin everyday of the week, even if price was reversed. Capital gains free.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

In general i would say steer clear of gold bars. There are too many fakes. Knocking out a look alike plated bar with packing that matches up is not so hard for those who do that sort of thing and the profits are very good. Even if you buy from a reputable dealer and you know it is 100% when you come to sell the bar, there will always be that doubt in buyers' minds. i know i am not the only person who thinks like this.

Get the Britannia - but having said that get some sovereigns. A smaller coin - smaller price per coin - easy to sell - the sovereign is the coin of choice in the UK and there is no CGT to worry about.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

As they say, coins are a better bet. Much much easier to sell. If for any reason you needed to quickly liquify some gold, a sensibly priced coin on here would pretty much sell right away.

Plus they're more interesting too. And if you start on Sovereigns (as i do) theres so much more to discover.

@Midasfrog has some going, Young Victorias. I've had 3 this morning and definitely worth a look........

@Bogart i would privately message @Midasfrog if you are interested in these sovereigns - you won't be able to access that page yet. Young head Victorian sovs are something of a VIP sovereign these days - so defo a better buy than a run of the mill.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

1 hour ago, sixgun said:

@Bogart i would privately message @Midasfrog if you are interested in these sovereigns - you won't be able to access that page yet. Young head Victorian sovs are something of a VIP sovereign these days - so defo a better buy than a run of the mill.

Good point. I forgot that we get early access.

Hope that ok with @Midasfrog and the admin team

I just though Britannias as opposed to Sovereigns as less space taken up. Not that I am ever going to have that many that lack of space will be a factor. And is there any preference to proof versus bullion aside from the price mark up.

Just now, Bogart said:

I just though Britannias as opposed to Sovereigns as less space taken up. Not that I am ever going to have that many that lack of space will be a factor. And is there any preference to proof versus bullion aside from the price mark up.

Yes bullion for investment, proofs for speculation. 

5 hours ago, Bogart said:

If the prices had been the other way round, there might have been a decision to make.

My usual advice* is to pay the lowest premium, within reason, so the Britania would win.

It is also CGT free, as other have already stated.

Coins are generally easier and better to sell than bars.

Do you need ay other reason?

I hope you "bought the dip", because spot gold recovered about £20 of its £30 dip, instead of waiting for answers.

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

😎

Chards

38 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

If the prices had been the other way round, there might have been a decision to make.

My usual advice* is to pay the lowest premium, within reason, so the Britania would win.

It is also CGT free, as other have already stated.

Coins are generally easier and better to sell than bars.

Do you need ay other reason?

I hope you "bought the dip", because spot gold recovered about £20 of its £30 dip, instead of waiting for answers.

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

😎

Ah I always miss out on a bargain, but there is always tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Bogart said:

Straight easy answer there thank you.

It really is that simple, 

Bullion ( spot price pending and a belief in gold doing well long-term) will return a profit 📈 👍 remember you only loose if you sell at the wrong time.

Proof coins are for collectors who love the design and don't care what the value is down the road, or speculative "flippers " who bank on a coin doing well to make profit, this is a minefield and some do well, but many more fail miserably ( and that's before the poor quality control comes into play)

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

It really is that simple, 

Bullion ( spot price pending and a belief in gold doing well long-term) will return a profit 📈 👍 remember you only loose if you sell at the wrong time.

Proof coins are for collectors who love the design and don't care what the value is down the road, or speculative "flippers " who bank on a coin doing well to make profit, this is a minefield and some do well, but many more fail miserably ( and that's before the poor quality control comes into play)

I’d be surprised if people hold for 10 years or so that they don’t come out better off 🫤🤞

the tough part of this is if you are already in the later years of life 😳😂😂🪦

Just now, Chandler365 said:

I’d be surprised if people hold for 10 years or so that they don’t come out better off 🫤🤞

the tough part of this is if you are already in the later years of life 😳😂😂🪦

Very true, but even so..its a great way to pass on savings to loved one's without inheritance tax? Just hope they don't sell it at half the value to dodgy Bob down the local🤣🤣 

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Very true, but even so..its a great way to pass on savings to loved one's without inheritance tax? Just hope they don't sell it at half the value to dodgy Bob down the local🤣🤣 

Fingers crossed 🙏 similar to my road bikes 😳 I hope when I die the wife doesn’t sell them for what I told her I paid for them 😳😂😂

57 minutes ago, James32 said:

I've left my wife a letter with the location of my stash and my TSF login, so i'm relying on you guys............no pressure!