• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

BBP Prices on Gold

Sharron

24 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Do you suspect there is any ulterior motive for "their webhosting service actively blocks (your) script"?

If so, what do you think it might be?

It's likely just additional security built in to their hosting pack - my scan IP would've been detected as potentially malicious. I could ask for it to be whitelisted, or there are "other ways" around it :) 

2 minutes ago, SidS said:

Te cognoscere non possum. 😉

i dont speak welsh!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

27 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

It's likely just additional security built in to their hosting pack - my scan IP would've been detected as potentially malicious. I could ask for it to be whitelisted, or there are "other ways" around it :) 

I notice you avoided direct answers to my two questions!😎

You're not thinking of becoming a politician are you?

Chards

26 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I notice you avoided direct answers to my two questions!😎

You're not thinking of becoming a politician are you?

Q1: Do you suspect there is any ulterior motive for "their webhosting service actively blocks (your) script"?

Yes, to stop bad actors from the Internet poking their website for flaws (preventing web scraping is just an additional bonus)

Q2: If so, what do you think it might be?

See my previous response :) 

Q3: You're not thinking of becoming a politician are you?

Definitely maybe

5 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I just looked, and found:

1463639758_Sovereign2022PricesonTSFCompare.thumb.jpg.fec172abf341a3f030a7eab0ad3c087e.jpg

It does not surprise me to see that @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer were the cheapest, and had the lowest premiums.

I "selected" the relevant section to ensure are the results were easily readable, otherwise you would see this:

213430257_Sovereign2022PricesonTSFComparegreyed.thumb.jpg.a2a218110f7259ea90eb1a1a00681bf9.jpg

At normal viewing size 

or

Chards    £361.04    (+5.20%)

is greyed out, and difficult to read.

This is because we are showing as Out Of Stock, although we will happily accept orders at the price, for delivery as soon as we receive new supplies.

Currently there is a delay in Royal Mint deliveries. This is due to the Queen's death, which undoubtedly creates a number of problems for the Royal Mint.

It would have been good if you could have taken a screenshot at the time.

For some reason BbP and Gold do not appear at all on today. Perhaps they have jacked their prices (premiums) up as the OP has commented.

😎

I have just had time to look at some of the other Comparison prices.

Probably the most relevant and important gold bullion coin for UK investors is the 2022 Gold Britannia:

301093958_1ozBritannia2022CompareTSF.thumb.jpg.2a44c359a1b43907a9a80e8088b16bba.jpg

As with the 2022 gold bullion sovereigns, ours is the lowest price, but hard to read without my blue highlighting. Viewed normally, the OOS prices are greyed out.

The Queen's death last week has understandably caused disruption at the Royal Mint, which is adversely affecting deliveries, and the RM are not currently able to give information about the resumption or normal service. Even if they told me anything, I would almost certainly not be permitted to publish or pass on such information until the RM cleared it.

My guess is that deliveries could be about a month.

For serious investors, it would be stupid not to be patient.

If anyone desperately wants a single coin without waiting, then I guess they will be happy to pay over the odds, regardless or any investment advice, or ig they have more money than sense.

😎

Chards

1 minute ago, Darr3nG said:

^Always with the excuses @LawrenceChard;)

That's why I left OOS items in the charts though, so those with a bit more patience could benefit from some better prices :) 

Yes, that was good judgement, IMO.

It would be nice if there was slightly more contrast between the grey and the background.

No excuses.

It's not my fault the queen died, that the RM needs time to sort itself out, or that at our prices, our 2022 gold Britannias sell out almost as soon as we get them.

😎

Chards

Thanyou for your comments,all noted.

I was curious as when the spot price of gold was higher a few months back I did notice while Internet surfing bullion dealers the prices of 1oz-1/2 oz and quarter and 1/10th coins were cheaper than their advertised prices on their website today....just doesn't make sense to me.

🤔

• 6 months later...
On 16/09/2022 at 12:41, LawrenceChard said:

This strategy is well known, and is called sometimes called "Predatory Pricing*", which exists in various "flavours".

* "The practice of selling a product at a price below the cost of producing it to drive competitors out of the market or otherwise punish rivals in a way that reduces competition.", according to Practical Law - Thomson Reuters. "Predatory pricing may violate US antitrust laws when, after reducing competition in the market, the company will likely recoup its lost profits by raising prices above a competitive level."

Having purchased shiny from BBP in the past, perhaps this newbie can chip in a bit.

Immediately after realising that this trader's bullion prices are regarded as a forum joke (in a way), cold sweat and nightmares followed.

I had to go back on each order and calculate how much I had 'lost'. Well, overpaid. Well, potentially overpaid lol.

A big chunk for me was early 2015. BBP were charging 5-7% premium over spot (Bullion Vault spot)

Can't go back to find the prices of various other sellers back then, but I thought it is a fair assumption that forum prices at the time would be at least competitive with the lowest prices charged by dealers, using like-for-like as much as possible.  1 ounce Brits and Sovs were of interest here.

What I found is that TSF prices might have been £20-30 per ounce lower than BBP were charging, sometimes even less. Data is scarce on the forum 'sales' pages for these products during those months, and extrapolating sovs to a price per ounce is not exactly like-for-like.

Another chunk for me was April-Aug 2018. Since I was calculating premiums over spot from day1, I wasn't happy with the prevailing premiums so this time round I was going for 'best value' coins, with premiums 2%-5% over spot at the time.

Forum prices were £0-50 per ounce cheaper at the time

But it was from june 2020 that I can see their premiums were hovering between 6-11% over spot, and from 2021 onwards premiums per ounce £50-100 higher.

Silver (Brits mainly from june 2021 onwards) I find it was £3.5-£6 higher than spot, compared to the forum😰. Often higher than RM for crying out loud..

I cannot reliably establish 'predatory pricing' because I have no equivalent figures from the other main dealers, but for BBP there seems to have been a gradual price 'inflation' over spot from 2020 onwards.

In silver the difference is nowadays close to comical, with their prices 'without VAT' often being higher than the most competitive of other dealers with VAT😆

This excercise took me hours to execute delving in older pages of the forum. But it gave me a more accurate picture over time of the price differential between the advertised forum prices and those of main dealers - and boy do those vary a lot..

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

BBP had occasionally listed coins that I could not find elsewhere (in their early days). I haven’t looked at their site for years!  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

56 minutes ago, dicker said:

BBP had occasionally listed coins that I could not find elsewhere (in their early days). I haven’t looked at their site for years!  

Recent pricing aside, I've found them to be efficient, reliable and generous.

Hell, they let me keep three kilo bars that went missing from the carriers and they eventually got refunded via their insurance. That's after I had received the replacements!

But do I regret not doing more homework once I started buying silver? You betcha..

Edited by JohnA1

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

Despite BBP being at the higher end of the pricing scale they have been very very busy for some time - which shows price isn't putting punters off or punters don't perform an abundance of research. 

My last big purchase from them was a stack of Queens Beast gold completers, for which I was very happy at paying only £25 per coin more than a Brit. Some pricing is very fair.