• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My first purchase from the royal mint…

Trench

Sorry to hear that.  I’ve made a few purchases now but haven’t had any problems fortunately.

My guess is that they will just re ship returned products in the hope that someone doesn’t notice it can’t be bothered to return.

1 hour ago, Trench said:

I know people have been complaining about QC at the royal mint but I didn’t think I’d be having to return my first purchase because of a chip 😬

Returning bullion products is possible only for quality inspection

https://www.royalmint.com/help/delivery-and-returns/product-returns/

Edited by daca

On 24/08/2022 at 12:50, Trench said:

I know people have been complaining about QC at the royal mint but I didn’t think I’d be having to return my first purchase because of a chip 😬

808CAB01-AADB-4399-864F-354FC981E1EB.jpeg

EFC15C4D-8107-4B3D-AD03-37EF020ACE48.jpeg

62374D34-3741-45E9-9FF3-3387C18F4CCF.jpeg

I can't see a chip from your photos.

If you come to Blackpool, you get get one without chips, which are available separately across the road, with very nice haddock.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

21 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I can't see a chip from your photos.

If you come to Blackpool, you get get one without chips, which are aqvailable separately across the road, with very nice haddock.

😎

Hahaha i thought Blackpool was known for its £1 burgers

ding.png

This is a bit like the other threat with the guy with a scratched small gol bullion bar.    It is reasonable for bullion products to have handling marks, contact marks, and scratches due to the way the investment product in manufactured I will not effect the intrinsic price of the metal for what it's intended for.

Bit of a tip, if you are buying bullion silver and you want a good example you might be better ordering a few of them keep the best one for the collection if you are collecting them and then sell the others as bullion people will still buy them , the only problem doing this you may lose some money with buying and selling silver in a short period of time.

It will be good to see how you get on will you up date the post once you have posted it back, are you paying for the postage?  if so mate it might be cheaper and less stress just to buy a few more of them. 

14 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Some of its bughers may be available at that price.

In Blackpool, even a "99" costs £1.99, but perhaps that's inflation for you!

😎

The 99 was apparently named after a squad of 99 soldiers that protect Italian royalty. 

Remember that for your next game of trivial pursuit. 

It would be nice for pure investment purposes if simple metal rounds with basic branding/anti-counterfeiting were available. As a lot of bullion has collectible artwork struck into it seeing it as something other than a pure investment/savings mechanism is understandable. It would allow for lower cost premiums on that type of product as you don't have to account for r&d, IP rights, tooling etc. 

Yes, you could argue that bars fulfill this role but then why are pretty coins referred to as purely an investment product as well...?

7 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

This is a bit like the other threat with the guy with a scratched small gol bullion bar.    It is reasonable for bullion products to have handling marks, contact marks, and scratches due to the way the investment product in manufactured I will not effect the intrinsic price of the metal for what it's intended for.

Bit of a tip, if you are buying bullion silver and you want a good example you might be better ordering a few of them keep the best one for the collection if you are collecting them and then sell the others as bullion people will still buy them , the only problem doing this you may lose some money with buying and selling silver in a short period of time.

It will be good to see how you get on will you up date the post once you have posted it back, are you paying for the postage?  if so mate it might be cheaper and less stress just to buy a few more of them. 

I’m not sending it back, it’s not worth the time. I’m just more inclined to purchase here on the forum where you know exactly what you are getting. I think I just expected more from the royal mint even with bullion products.

Totally understand the point on ordering more to then take the best of the bunch for collection, big thanks for the advice man

This particular coin is notorious for problems like this. Silver Trader puts a warning on collectable coins like this that all seem to have issues, and he did on this one (that's how I know). So, if you order from him (and I highly recommend him) you will know what you're getting and can even ask in advance. If you want a decent one of these it'd be worth emailing him and ask him if he has any that aren't too bad :)

30 minutes ago, kimchi said:

This particular coin is notorious for problems like this. Silver Trader puts a warning on collectable coins like this that all seem to have issues, and he did on this one (that's how I know). So, if you order from him (and I highly recommend him) you will know what you're getting and can even ask in advance. If you want a decent one of these it'd be worth emailing him and ask him if he has any that aren't too bad :)

Ahh i didn't know this! Are you talking about Martin from silver trader? If so i buy from him quite often :)

Just now, Trench said:

Ahh i didn't know this! Are you talking about Martin from silver trader? If so i buy from him quite often :)

Yes, he put a warning on this coin, always worth keeping an eye on his site and/or asking him what a certain release is like, if in doubt :)

6 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Yes, he put a warning on this coin, always worth keeping an eye on his site and/or asking him what a certain release is like, if in doubt :)

So he did! Wow thanks for letting me know and I'm glad its not just me having issues

7 minutes ago, Trench said:

So he did! Wow thanks for letting me know and I'm glad its not just me having issues

I have seen one from him that wasn't too bad - not perfect, but better than most. So always worth emailing him to see if he has a fairly good example.

At least now you know it's a problem with the issue generally and not just your coin :)

3 minutes ago, StackemHigh said:

Royal mint proofs ain't any better! Buy from a third party like silver trader that is honest and reliable not rm with a dishonest and unreliable qc  dept.

The trouble is people keep buying their poor quality over priced tat.

I got a silver proof coin recently for a fellow member 1st was scratched so retuned 2nd had frosting issue so sent that back and the 3rd was good and graded a PF70UC.   I would be embarrassed to send the first two coins onto a fellow collector yet the mint thinks it okay to send it out.  It’s simple to resolve they only need to take hi def automatically produced images at the point of minting and check the photos, hell I could to this for them anywhere on the planet, problem would be I’d reject too many, so they just bang them out and deal with the returns as it’s cheaper to do.