• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Your best result from a 'lucky dip' buy...

Just posted a 1oz JM silver bar on Today I Received, lucky dip from Atkinsons. 

Got me wondering what everyone's best result from such a purchase has been - I presume most of us have done it.

Keep it silver since this is the silver section. 

My personal favourite was a 1998 Kookaburra in absolutely mint condition for the princely sum of £16, and an honourable mention for my lovely 250g Bairds minted bar for around £115, both around 3 or so years ago.

So, what did you get..?

• 2 weeks later...

My best lucky dip buy happened in 2003.

I found a lot on eBay of 'USA holiday change' dated from the 1930s onward, about $20-$30 from memory.

I saw from the picture that it was mostly quarters and dimes with the odd half dollar, nickel and cent.

The presence of the half dollars made me think that there could be something interesting, as they've not been common in circulation in the US for many years.

So out of curiosity I emailed the seller and asked if any of the quarters or dimes were dated from the 1940s or 50s. The reply was yes, several.

So I looked up the exchange rate and added about another 1/4 on and threw in a bid. I won the lot, it being a little over the exchange rate.

The coins arrived, I unboxed them and went searching through, I must have pulled out nearly two dozen silver coins, their face value being about 1/5 of the overall total.

All in all a terrific haul. No other purchase has been as lucrative nor exciting as that. I love a good treasure hunt. 

I purchased a reasonably expensive gold coin from a US dealer, and asked if he could add a Morgan Dollar to the order - just the best condition he had for USD50 - irrespective of year - I like the lucky dip element and we had done business before.

Opening the package when it eventually arrived was a real belter of a Morgan - not slabbed, but as perfect as the day it was minted to my eye.  The dealer knew what he was doing because I have bought from him subsequently.

I don’t buy too much silver these days, but I strongly believe there are still lucky dip silver and gold coins that are very much worth while.   I won’t pollute this silver thread with gold discussion but PM me if you want to share thoughts on gold!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

13 minutes ago, dicker said:

I purchased a reasonably expensive gold coin from a US dealer, and asked if he could add a Morgan Dollar to the order - just the best condition he had for USD50 - irrespective of year - I like the lucky dip element and we had done business before.

Opening the package when it eventually arrived was a real belter of a Morgan - not slabbed, but as perfect as the day it was minted to my eye.  The dealer knew what he was doing because I have bought from him subsequently.

I don’t buy too much silver these days, but I strongly believe there are still lucky dip silver and gold coins that are very much worth while.   I won’t pollute this silver thread with gold discussion but PM me if you want to share thoughts on gold!

Feel free to go gold on this thread, it was more a question of the result than the metal. Interested to hear of anyone that has done well when taking a chance.

Just remembered about another stroke of luck I had a couple of years ago. I'm sure I posted on here at the time. 

I bought a 2014 year of the horse (RM version) for £20 when spot was £22 ish from an antique store. I was happy enough at that but was advised to look for denticles on the obverse by a helpful TSF member. Turned out to be the mule version I had picked up - I was well chuffed, if it wasn't for this forum I would likely have never known...