• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Arms 1oz Gold Coins are the premiums exaggerated ?

So I have two 2020 Royal Arms 1oz Gold Coins I see the montage was 5000 and haven’t seen any websites that have them in stock atm. Havent gone deep into my research having said that. I’m seeing the price £1750 upwards. 

Anyway my question to you experts is , shall I keep hold of them ? Will the premiums stay there ? Are they are sort after coin especially with a limited mintage. Does the year bare 2020 bare any significance to the price ? Thanks in advance, your loveable rogue, Ukbullionfan ❤️ 

10 minutes ago, Orpster said:

If you want 3 I will sell you another one for £1580 + post :) 

Actually, mine is a 2021 not a 2020

Also, they are £1655 at Chards https://www.chards.co.uk/2020-royal-arms-one-ounce-gold-bullion-coin/13137

You not keeping hold of yours then ? Don’t see any value in it for the long term ?

20 minutes ago, Ukbullionfan said:

You not keeping hold of yours then ? Don’t see any value in it for the long term ?

Yes I expect it will do very well, limited mintage coins tend to and the Royal Arms is an ever popular classic,

At £1580 though I will have taken out a decent profit and can move the money into something else.  I don't tend to be big on 1oz coins and have been slowly selling them off to concentrate on sovereigns and 1/4oz coins, just have the 2021 RA and a 1oz QB Completer left (and a 1.10 Maple I bought on a whim :)).  In no rush though, not enough to be bothered to do a sales post anyway.

Edited by Orpster

15 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Yes I expect it will do very well, limited mintage coins tend to and the Royal Arms is an ever popular classic,

At £1580 though I will have taken out a decent profit and can move the money into something else.  I don't tend to be big on 1oz coins and have been slowly selling them off to concentrate on sovereigns and 1/4oz coins, just have the 2021 RM and a 1oz QB Completer left (and a 1.10 Maple I bought on a whim :)).  In no rush though, not enough to be bothered to do a sales post anyway.

Yeh I’ve been getting rid of my lathers bars to go into sovereigns but I’m still collecting my smaller ones of a particular brand. Getting into proof sovereigns abit now as well, not sure if it’s worth it in the long run but we will see. 

It’s taken over my life looking into gold researching and collecting , but and selling. I used to gamble heavily (sober since 311221) and this is a sexy substitute. 

8 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

@LawrenceChard any insight for me ? 

It is sensible to take a profit on something while / if it is at a high premium.

I notice someone tagged in our relevant page. It is more relevent to look at % premium than actual price when trying to compare value, but actual price fluctuate with spot market prices.

Our page makes this transparent:

PRODUCT ID
STOCK STATUS
IN STOCK
INTRINSIC VALUE
£1,479.98
PREMIUM
12%
ESTIMATED UK DELIVERY
£7.00

Your tipic title was:

Royal Arms 1oz Gold Coins are the premiums exaggerated ?

Which seems to follow Betteridge's law (of headlines), which I touched on in a recent post:

Will Silver Prices Go Down to $0.29?

Thee is always some effort and cost involved in selling or buying anything, so whether swiching out of a Royal Arms, and into something else will be worthwile, only you can answer.

I note you say "I don't tend to be big on 1oz coins and have been slowly selling them off to concentrate on sovereigns and 1/4oz coins,", and while sovereigns are available at low premiums (also double sovereigns at the moment), most quarter ounce coins cost higher premiums.

You will see this is mentioned here: https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

You will see that I advise one ounce gold coins because they usually have low premiums.

I hope some of this helps.

😎

Chards

7 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I don't tend to be big on 1oz coins and have been slowly selling them off to concentrate on sovereigns and 1/4oz coins

It was actually me that said this @LawrenceChard not the poster - the poster is asking if he should keep hold of his because of the high price they seem to be going for or try to cash in (how I read it anyway).  Personally I do not think the poster would get anything near the quoted price (£1750) hence me offering mine for a much lower price and pointing out that Blackpool's finest dealer has then considerably cheaper than he/she had found them online :) 

Edited by Orpster

6 minutes ago, Orpster said:

It was actually me that said this @LawrenceChard not the poster - the poster is asking if he should keep hold of his because of the high price they seem to be going for or try to cash in (how I read it anyway).  Personally I do not think the poster would get anything near the quoted price (£1750) hence me offering mine for a much lower price and pointing out that Blackpool's finest dealer has then considerably cheaper than he/she had found them online :) 

Thanks.

I had noticed your contribution, so I was more responding to the whole thread rather than the OP, or the latest from him.

😎

Chards

12 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Thanks.

I had noticed your contribution, so I was more responding to the whole thread rather than the OP, or the latest from him.

😎

Thanks for the link, some interesting stuff.  Not enough for me to change my buying habits but food for thought.

Ok so maybe I’ve not asked what I wanted to correctly. Is this coin worth holding on to for the long haul ? Does the mintage of it being limited to 5000 matter ? Is it or will it be worth more than other 1oz coins ? Or does it not bare any significance at all ? 

I have two of the should I sell one and get some sovs instead ? I just wanted to know if this particular coin is more special or more meaningful than others down the line.

1 hour ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Ok so maybe I’ve not asked what I wanted to correctly. Is this coin worth holding on to for the long haul ? Does the mintage of it being limited to 5000 matter ? Is it or will it be worth more than other 1oz coins ? Or does it not bare any significance at all ? 

I have two of the should I sell one and get some sovs instead ? I just wanted to know if this particular coin is more special or more meaningful than others down the line.

No, it's just another nice bullion coin.

I think it was last year that someone sold 5.. they sat and sat and sat until seller basically sold them similar to a normal brit at the time.

Absolute best case scenario, they hold an extra £50 premium over generic bullion.. similar to eagles and buffaloes.. but cannot see them ever becoming anything special like the Queens beasts unfortunately. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

3 hours ago, James32 said:

No, it's just another nice bullion coin.

I think it was last year that someone sold 5.. they sat and sat and sat until seller basically sold them similar to a normal brit at the time.

Absolute best case scenario, they hold an extra £50 premium over generic bullion.. similar to eagles and buffaloes.. but cannot see them ever becoming anything special like the Queens beasts unfortunately. 

Can always count on good old trusty James to drop some knowledge. Cheers dude.

I would keep one, or more, if I liked the design and/or the year.  Otherwise in your position (OP) I would sell and convert into bullion sovereigns, ideally 2022 examples.

I have 3 of the 1 oz Royal Arms coins and I choose to hold them as part of my collection rather than part of my stack.  I am not looking to acquire more of them.

1 minute ago, Ukbullionfan said:

What’s a reasonable price to sell them at ? £

£1350 delivered by yacht?

Failing that £1550 and they may linger a while tbh.

Think someone sold 5 a year ago and they lingered for a while, ended up going for £20 more than a brit each.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip