• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 UK Tudor Beasts Lion Of England 1oz Gold Coin

Brucey

Hey guys, hope you're all well! 

I've got some money I want to tie up in a 1oz coin. I really like the look of the 2022 UK Tudor Beasts Lion Of England 1oz Gold Coin. Can anyone please give me a few positives and negatives before I decide whether to purchase? 

I've noticed Atkinsons are selling it for £1540 ish which I thought was quite reasonable. 

Many thanks in advance 

Brucey 😎

Edited by Brucey

26 minutes ago, Brucey said:

I've got some money I want to tie up in a 1oz coin. I really like the look of the 2022 UK Tudor Beasts Lion Of England 1oz Gold Coin. Can anyone please give me a few positives and negatives before I decide whether to purchase? 

I've noticed Atkinsons are selling it for £1540 ish which I thought was quite reasonable. 

Many thanks in advance 

Brucey 😎

Positives..

1) Nice coin

2) first in the series and will be sought after in years to come, going by the success of the lion of England in the queen's beast series. 

3) not an insane premium based on current spot price, no more than an eagle or buffalo 

Negatives.

1) will the series take off?

2) you now need to collect the set in 1oz, that's a substantial undertaking.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Was there not a Gold Seymour Panther...? 🤔

That was definitely the first Silver Proof - but I didn't have Gold 1oz money when that came out...

Unless we're talking bullion of course...

Edited by Scootermuppet
extra info added

4 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Was there not a Gold Seymour Panther...? 🤔

That was definitely the first Silver Proof - but I didn't have Gold 1oz money when that came out...

Unless we're talking bullion of course...

No in bullion the always disorganised RM decided to shake things up and start with the lion.

Probably as they we're already tooled up for the proof lions.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

7 hours ago, Brucey said:

Can anyone please give me a few positives and negatives before I decide whether to purchase?

If you ultimately sell back to a dealer you may only get the same back as you would for a Krugerrand or Britannia. The lower premium you could buy a 1 Oz gold coin for the more gold for your money.

A quick look on Atkinsons 'sell to us' page they're offering about 2% over spot for the 2016 lion compared to about spot for a Brit or Krug. Looking at another dealer they are 'only' paying spot according to their equivalent page for the beasts. 

On 02/08/2022 at 21:45, Brucey said:

Many thanks in advance 

Brucey 😎

Did you ever get round to working out what percentage premium your preferred dealer was asking?

Do they show the % premium on their site?

If not, why not?

Did you know some dealers make life easy by showing selling premiums on their site, especially on gold?

Did you end up buying it?

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

In answer to the original question, I think @James32 has got it pretty much spot-on:

Nice coin/nice design

First in the series

Premium not excessive relative to other 1 oz bullion gold coins

And I would add...

It's a Lion - lions are cool

The Lionesses (England Women's Football Team) have just won the Euros in 2022, the same year as on the coin

Negatives:

Gold price has just gone up a bit...

The Tudor Beasts coins design/theme is not as nice as the Queen's Beasts coins design/theme in my opinion

A 1 oz gold bullion Britannia is cheaper

22 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Did you ever get round to working out what percentage premium your preferred dealer was asking?

Do they show the % premium on their site?

If not, why not?

Did you know some dealers make life easy by showing selling premiums on their site, especially on gold?

Did you end up buying it?

😎

@Brucey?

😎

Chards