• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help with value please

Goldyyy1

Hi guys,

I do not know much about coins. I have a sovereign coin. If someone could help me value it. 1891 full gold.

Seen online prices for £495 and £405. If someone could guide me and help me sell it please.

regards

8478E58F-7142-4B71-A5A6-79A2CADF3566.jpeg

C25DA88A-C437-4057-BA18-A883A2B49D1A.jpeg

908079C1-468B-4E8D-9384-097C0AF9303D.jpeg

387FF931-BA9F-4E56-9BE0-F93B8BF247D2.jpeg

6D7708EA-A8D9-4143-853D-3065C57BFD6C.jpeg

A0C0049F-F949-4CD4-9E10-57355395D143.jpeg

D3D17E53-B5BA-4BB5-B483-1F1269C53653.jpeg

D6B59825-B11A-4CE2-92D8-30F89978FD6B.jpeg

Just now, Mrpound said:

I don’t know a lot about sovs and there’s loads of people here that do but I’ll Chuck my 2cents in so assuming it’s nothing special £360….. someone correct me if I’m wrong?

@modofantasma

Thank you for that! I had checked the cheapest price is 390 for this. So may be wrong not sure.

41 minutes ago, Goldyyy1 said:

do not know much about coins. I have a sovereign coin. If someone could help me value it. 1891 full gold

Hi mate. If you want to sell probably making a listing in the trade section if you are based in the UK then the 'uk ungraded section' there is a quick start guide there to help you.

As to the value I paid 3% over spot for 5 mixed victoria sovereigns where my 1891 came from here on the forum. You might be able to get a little more but just depends who's shopping I guess. If it is a particularly collectible year these might get more of a premium. 

There is some information here on things like mintages.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-sovereign-specific-year/victoria-jubilee-head-1887-1893/

44 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Hi mate. If you want to sell probably making a listing in the trade section if you are based in the UK then the 'uk ungraded section' there is a quick start guide there to help you.

As to the value I paid 3% over spot for 5 mixed victoria sovereigns where my 1891 came from here on the forum. You might be able to get a little more but just depends who's shopping I guess. If it is a particularly collectible year these might get more of a premium. 

There is some information here on things like mintages.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-sovereign-specific-year/victoria-jubilee-head-1887-1893/

Hi,

thank you so much for that. How much shall I put it on for?

regards

20 minutes ago, Goldyyy1 said:

Hi,

thank you so much for that. How much shall I put it on for?

regards

Your choice mate it's your coin 🙂 you could always wait a little longer here to see if anyone else chips in about the value too just to get some more opinions.

You could try a slightly higher price first and if nobody bites reduce it a little or if you just want a quick sale price it competitively to begin with. 

Alternatively you could list as an auction starting at the lowest price you would accept. 

If you write your username and the date on a piece of paper and take a photo with the coin plus if you have some accurate scales and can take the weight in the photo or if you bought from a reputable dealer then mention that in the listing too it should help you as a new member 

Your photos aren't the best (try and crop the image and show the coin in sharp focus) but on the face of it, you have a nice Victoria Jubilee Head bullion sovereign in decent condition.  But for most people on here at least, it is just 'one unit of bullion sovereign' rather than anything with a particular numismatic or collectable premium.

So if it was mine and I was looking to sell - for a quick sale I would price it just above the spot price of gold for a sovereign.  But if you have a particular minimum selling price in mind, advertise it for say £10 above that price and then accept an offer at your specific figure.

Personally I'd be looking to pay a generic bullion sovereign price for that.  To me, it is 'one unit of bullion sovereign'.

Good luck with your decisions.

• 1 month later...
On 01/06/2022 at 21:53, Stuntman said:

Your photos aren't the best (try and crop the image and show the coin in sharp focus) but on the face of it, you have a nice Victoria Jubilee Head bullion sovereign in decent condition.  But for most people on here at least, it is just 'one unit of bullion sovereign' rather than anything with a particular numismatic or collectable premium.

So if it was mine and I was looking to sell - for a quick sale I would price it just above the spot price of gold for a sovereign.  But if you have a particular minimum selling price in mind, advertise it for say £10 above that price and then accept an offer at your specific figure.

Personally I'd be looking to pay a generic bullion sovereign price for that.  To me, it is 'one unit of bullion sovereign'.

Good luck with your decisions.

Thank you so much!

Photo Tips: 

As intimated by Stuntman your photos are of poor quality. Learn how to edit your photos  and make them as large and sharp as possible, then pick the best. No need to upload 7 images of the same reverse!  Although the 1891 is unlikely to be anything other than 'bullion', assessing the condition is generally done with the obverse image. I also suggest you remove this bullion coin from its plastic capsule to eliminate reflection.  Hope this helps in future, and good luck with the sale. 🤗

It seems there might be a mint mark on your sovereign but it’s difficult to tell with photos taken from a distance.

I can say it’s a ‘2nd variety’ Jubilee sovereign according to Marsh and Steve Hill’s latest book. 

As to any further help, clearer photos would be beneficial.

I know my way around a Jubilee head sovereigns. 

Before you do anything you need to take better pictures of the coin especially if you are trying to sell it with a numismatic premium.  

“Second legend”, I’ll give you that one for free take some better photos and I’ll also give you the marsh and DISH references 

Welcome to the forum @Goldyyy1 🙂

Just to add my thoughts...

First up, I'd read through this... very helpful post

Secondly, if you want to sell on the forum I'd say a good way of getting started is to spend some time reading the forum - especially posts about Sovereigns, as that's what you have. Comment on some posts, ask some questions (as you have here), take a look at some 'For Sale' posts and see how others are doing it... and engage with us a bit - we don't bite! 👍

We were all new at one time (myself about 18 months ago) so we get it - you just need a price for a coin and want to sell it - but if you just do that you'll be missing out on a whole tonne of experience & knowledge ...

You may just want to sell your coin and not get 'in to' coins, but it's like a date - we want to be taken to dinner and romanced a little first 😂

On the point of photographs, if your phone / camera has a 'Macro mode' - choose this one. It will allow you to get much closer to the coin with your camera lens and give a more detailed picture - here's one of a half crown I have from my birth year for example...

Good lighting helps too, bright daylight is perfect, near a window maybe? and not in direct sunlight (glare), and you can get some pretty good results...

16561829833542899258075624246844.thumb.jpg.ed15bb506f9c5fa88fae9a0277154b6c.jpg

...and my phone is only an average Android phone, about two years old!

Hope that helps? and would be nice to see you around the forum if you decide to stick around... but Warning! - Stacking & Collecting can become addictive! 😏

Bob

Edited by Scootermuppet
spellings