• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Sovereigns Fakes Forgeries and Counterfeits

Spotted straight away a problem with the hand on the sword - not grasping showing fingers.
Seems to have a "willy" rather than an abdomen muscle.
Horse neck & main detail missing under the reign.
Dragon's left foot toes don't look right.
Missing detail on cloak.

Having said all the above, if I had bought this coin from a dealer and it met the dimensions and weight I would not have looked at it closely.

I did visit a dealer once to sell gold coins and all they did was a 2 second glance and everything depended on the scales, so fakes like this would automatically be accepted and sold on.

2 hours ago, papi1980 said:

Thank you for sharing this Lawrence! Is it just me, or the 1916s fakes we saw a few weeks ago were much better fakes that this one (sharper details, smoother base). I was wondering if that is due to the casting method? 

They were probably all made using the same method, but perhaps with different levels of skill or care.

2 hours ago, dicker said:

There is almost too much wrong here to list out!  

The Mis-Placed b******s are the cherry on the icing on the cake!

Thank you for that, I was trying to work out what they were supposed to be!

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Spotted straight away a problem with the hand on the sword - not grasping showing fingers.
Seems to have a "willy" rather than an abdomen muscle.
Horse neck & main detail missing under the reign.
Dragon's left foot toes don't look right.
Missing detail on cloak.

Having said all the above, if I had bought this coin from a dealer and it met the dimensions and weight I would not have looked at it closely.

I did visit a dealer once to sell gold coins and all they did was a 2 second glance and everything depended on the scales, so fakes like this would automatically be accepted and sold on.

You wouldn't really need to look at this closely, about 5 metres I reckon.

What sort of "dealer" was that?

😎

Chards

This kind of stuff is what makes guys like me really nervous about buying from anybody but a dealer for older gold coins.  I buy silver, to stack, second hand but I tend to only buy gold from one or two dealers, or if I really check the profile of who I am buying from and satisfy myself that they are not only honest but experienced enough to give me confidence that they would spot a dodgy item. 

This site has been fantastic for that journey, however in the main I prefer to pay a wee bit extra for my gold in the hope that the dealers are protecting me.  Hearing that a main dealer is selling fakes (albeit unknowingly) gives me the fear! 😳

None of the details look crisp or sharp enough, very lacking in detail & it looks almost like it has been melted in the sun, or has started to dissolve under water, neither of which happen in the real world under normal circumstances I wouldn't have thought. That is apart from the obvious mistakes on the coin.

So its made out of real .916 gold is it, atleast the guy didnt lose all his money then did he?

27 minutes ago, scotwasp said:

This kind of stuff is what makes guys like me really nervous about buying from anybody but a dealer for older gold coins.  I buy silver, to stack, second hand but I tend to only buy gold from one or two dealers, or if I really check the profile of who I am buying from and satisfy myself that they are not only honest but experienced enough to give me confidence that they would spot a dodgy item. 

This site has been fantastic for that journey, however in the main I prefer to pay a wee bit extra for my gold in the hope that the dealers are protecting me.  Hearing that a main dealer is selling fakes (albeit unknowingly) gives me the fear! 😳

It is frustrating for me as a dealer to know it is happening, and having to be slightly restrained about it.

It is worth trying to look at as many coins as possible, genuine and fake, and gaining some experience from doing so.

There are some investors / stackers who don't seem to mind if they get sold a fake as long as the metal content is OK, but this is a short-sighted policy. Most dealers will only pay scrap value for fakes, the investor who accepts fakes should expect an exit loss.

I am not afraid to name names when I have indisputable evidence, and indeed have done so in the past.

Chards

5 minutes ago, GreatCoins4U said:

None of the details look crisp or sharp enough, very lacking in detail & it looks almost like it has been melted in the sun, or has started to dissolve under water, neither of which happen in the real world under normal circumstances I wouldn't have thought. That is apart from the obvious mistakes on the coin.

So its made out of real .916 gold is it, atleast the guy didnt lose all his money then did he?

No, not all his money, but...

We, and most other good dealers will only pay scrap value for fakes.

So yes, the owner made an exit loss compared with owning a genuine coin.

It is frustrating that there are dealers around who habitually sell fake coins.

Chards

Yes it looks wrong on many levels, I guess if people buy alot of Sovereigns then maybe they just think it looks worn, but to me it looks wrong, not just worn, but ofcourse am not a Sovereign expert 🤪 I basically just try to buy proof coins, or ones with a special design, they are prettier obviously, but I imagine that they are harder to fake aswell, and it makes for a more interesting collection ofcourse 🧐

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

You wouldn't really need to look at this closely, about 5 metres I reckon.

What sort of "dealer" was that?

😎

Well known and once very popular

Edited by Pete

General lack of detail in areas that aren't high points and bonus lumps and bumps.  Is that a number 8 thats been stamped on the reverse?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

50 minutes ago, Happypanda88 said:

jewellery piece

Sovereign and half sovereign rings were popular with 'ard lads all over the UK at one time. I have a rather dashing scar from  some brave soul who sucker-punched me in the eye outside a local disco many moons ago. Having been turned onto gold as a grown up I keep my eye open for these sorts of things to see if a bargain can be had. The amount of mushy looking very obviously fake coins used in these mounts is astonishing (usually found in pawnbrokers and back alley jewellery shops). 

4 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Once?

😎

"Once upon a time" [ well before the creation of The Silver Forum ] when us oldies could buy sovereigns and half sovereigns at <2% over spot not knowing what reign you would receive.  Lucky dip and often nice surprises !

Nowadays, what started off as simply bullion dealers morphed into some sort of on-line coin shops.
There are more than one of course in the UK.

Kind of sucks when prices for shields and older sovereigns have high premiums whilst only paying scrap value when buying back.
Opportunity to make some dosh for sure and why not ... but "once" ... is the era when gold coins were priced purely by weight of fine gold.

12 hours ago, Arganto said:

Sovereign and half sovereign rings were popular with 'ard lads all over the UK at one time. I have a rather dashing scar from  some brave soul who sucker-punched me in the eye outside a local disco many moons ago. Having been turned onto gold as a grown up I keep my eye open for these sorts of things to see if a bargain can be had. The amount of mushy looking very obviously fake coins used in these mounts is astonishing (usually found in pawnbrokers and back alley jewellery shops). 

So what you are saying is that you "keep my eye open", and someone else tries to close it for you!

😎

Chards

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

"Once upon a time" [ well before the creation of The Silver Forum ] when us oldies could buy sovereigns and half sovereigns at <2% over spot not knowing what reign you would receive.  Lucky dip and often nice surprises !

Nowadays, what started off as simply bullion dealers morphed into some sort of on-line coin shops.
There are more than one of course in the UK.

Kind of sucks when prices for shields and older sovereigns have high premiums whilst only paying scrap value when buying back.
Opportunity to make some dosh for sure and why not ... but "once" ... is the era when gold coins were priced purely by weight of fine gold.

It sounded like there was one in particular you were thinking about, and I was wondering which one.

😎

Chards