• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ungraded silver bars

Christoph

Most importantly:

What are the weight of these bars?
Who has issued them?
What designs are on them?

For example: if they are 10 oz Una & The Lion silver bars from the Royal Mint, they will be tremendous value (or completely fake).  If they are 1 oz Una & The Lion silver bars from the Royal Mint, they will be poor value.

Does ungraded lower the value?  I'm not an expert in graded bars, but I doubt that many people who stack or collect bars are particularly interested in having them graded, and therefore would be unlikely to pay much, if any, premium for a graded bar.

Edited by Stuntman
spelling

I've never heard of these bars before (to be fair, I'm not a stacker of silver bars), but the company appears to be legitimate (based in the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham) and the bars appear to be genuine.  

I certainly wouldn't grade them though, just treat them as generic silver bullion for the stack and buy them as keenly as you can.  Plenty of other 100g bars available at similar prices I would imagine.  Personally if I was going to stack 100g silver bars, I'd look at the likes of Metalor and Umicore first, but that's purely my personal preference as I think those two are more recognisable/trusted manufacturers and I prefer the look of their bars too.

Other more knowledgeable people on the Forum will be able to give you more advice.

It says 'The Gold Exchange, Birmingham' on the bar and a quick google will show you more:

http://www.goldexchangebirmingham.co.uk/

I imagine that they used to melt down their scrap silver (or get someone else to) and then make new bars and get them hallmarked.  You can find auction sales listings for these bars.

If you like them and trust the seller, buy them for as keen a price as you can.

Edited by Stuntman

Just now, Christoph said:

That is with special delivery postage included my friend 

not a bad price, i have ungraded bars, not all have the gradings on

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Unless you can haunt the internet ready to pounce on a bargain given current price of silver I would say these are well priced. A one Oz bar would in all likelihood cost you minimum £25 and 3 of those would not give you 100g. 

16 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Can we be sure you are not simply plugging your own bars, or promoting them for a friend?

😎

Oh no not at all! I am not selling anything on here, only buying. Also, I have no friends who are into silver so not promoting anything🤣 just trying to find out more and educate myself as I'm quite new 

If these are £80 minus £6.85 for special delivery making 73p a gram then they are a good deal, provided if you buy multiples the postage cost remains the same (i.e. buying three wouldn't be 3x£80). That said although the bars seem from a known source make sure the seller looks legit. They are not hallmarked though as is mentioned above, unless the hallmark is on the rear of the bars. Hallmarking is not common on bullion so don't let that put you off, although there are 100g bars available with hallmarking if you so desire 😁 

Looking at the thread I wonder if the term 'graded' is being used correctly? Grading is when an item is appraised by a third party company such as NGC, then slabbed and labelled. I don't know if I've ever seen a graded bar before. Do you mean hallmarked perchance @Christoph?

12 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

If these are £80 minus £6.85 for special delivery making 73p a gram then they are a good deal, provided if you buy multiples the postage cost remains the same (i.e. buying three wouldn't be 3x£80). That said although the bars seem from a known source make sure the seller looks legit. They are not hallmarked though as is mentioned above, unless the hallmark is on the rear of the bars. Hallmarking is not common on bullion so don't let that put you off, although there are 100g bars available with hallmarking if you so desire 😁 

Looking at the thread I wonder if the term 'graded' is being used correctly? Grading is when an item is appraised by a third party company such as NGC, then slabbed and labelled. I don't know if I've ever seen a graded bar before. Do you mean hallmarked perchance @Christoph?

It is described as ungraded, so I'm not sure. But the seller seems legit, good rating and 100% feedback. So that's a great sign. I think i will go for them, after looking around it's the best I can find and I'm very happy with the price 

9 hours ago, Christoph said:

Hey guys, I have found some ungraded silver bars for £80 each, is this a good buy and does ungraded lower the value? 

Thanks 

I know the makers of these bars. I was the person behind them initially. They sell around £75- 80 on average

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

3 hours ago, Christoph said:

The price sticks, but I still am very happy with the price 

That makes them £24.88 p/toz, which is still a reasonable price. They look nice, it's cool that they tie back to a TSF member 😁

My idea of a good deal isn't so much price per gram, but more comparative to market value. If the bars are worth 75-80 then it's an okay deal, but nothing more.

If a well known brand costs more per gram, just for example £100 for 100g, and you were offered it for £90, I'd consider that a better deal. Sure, you're paying more money for the same amount of silver, but you're getting a more recognised brand for below its market value. The brand name should carry a higher premium and perhaps more liquidity when it comes to selling

I can see you have gone for the cheapest per gram approach, in which case, there are coins/rounds to consider as well as bars. It's tricky for anyone to offer advice on a wealth of choice with no crystal ball, but all I would say is check the price you're paying against what you think is the going rate for the exact brand item. It is sometimes a case of apples and oranges when it comes to different brands.

Edited by SilverJacks

8 hours ago, Liam84 said:

That makes them £24.88 p/toz, which is still a reasonable price. They look nice, it's cool that they tie back to a TSF member 😁

Oh I must be doing the maths wrong! 

So £400 for 5 100g bars, is there 3.5 oz on 100g?

3.5 x 5 to get 17.5

400/17.5 = £22.85

Correct me if I'm horribly wrong please 🤣

20 hours ago, Stuntman said:

It says 'The Gold Exchange, Birmingham' on the bar and a quick google will show you more:

http://www.goldexchangebirmingham.co.uk/

I imagine that they used to melt down their scrap silver (or get someone else to) and then make new bars and get them hallmarked.  You can find auction sales listings for these bars.

If you like them and trust the seller, buy them for as keen a price as you can.

They refine via Umicore and then pour the bars themselves. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

2 hours ago, Christoph said:

3.5 x 5 to get 17.5

400/17.5 = £22.85

.80 per gram, so .80 X 31.103 (one Troy ounce) = 24.8824 rounded to £24.88.

2 hours ago, Christoph said:

3.5 x 5 to get 17.5

400/17.5 = £22.85

Only 3.2 troy oz in 100grams 🙂

I like to buy the pre-dip dip