• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns in Jewellery

dicker

On 14/12/2021 at 01:40, sjhdesmond said:

But here we tend to look on gold teeth as an aesthetic abomination. You don't often see them nowadays outside of immigrant communities and maybe traveller folk.

Watch it, I happen to have a few gold inlays! 😎

They are or were very practical.

(Mercury) amalgam was never ideal, and my inlays were intended to have a 20 year design life. I still have some 40 years later.

I am sure there are now better equivalents.

Chards

My first gold coin was a1982 half sovereign in a ring I got for my 21st birthday and started all this pm and coin collecting and metal detecting and roll sorting and antique collecting and jewelry trading....oh my God, a sovereign has set my entire adult life..I don't know whether to be happy or very very sad..lol.

Edited by DarkChameleon

On 15/12/2021 at 18:37, LawrenceChard said:

Watch it, I happen to have a few gold inlays! 😎

They are or were very practical.

(Mercury) amalgam was never ideal, and my inlays were intended to have a 20 year design life. I still have some 40 years later.

I am sure there are now better equivalents.

Nope. Gold is still the dentist’s preferred choice of material if the patient can afford it because it is very malleable, does not corrode and is very similar to the hardness of natural teeth. 🦷

5 hours ago, Skyfiller said:

Nope. Gold is still the dentist’s preferred choice of material if the patient can afford it because it is very malleable, does not corrode and is very similar to the hardness of natural teeth. 🦷

This is interesting.  I have an onlay in gold and my (very expensive) dentist says there is still nothing as good as gold for some repairs (but not all).  I have a friend who is a dentist who says gold is old hat and new composite materials are the way forward.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

5 hours ago, Skyfiller said:

Mine is trying to convinceme to have them all replaced with the ceramic fillings so they look like teeth again...maybe he's got a contract with gerrards.

On 08/12/2021 at 16:23, dicker said:

Description includes:

Up for sale is a really unusual 22ct gold full sovereign mounted on a 9ct gold shank.

An unusual ring.

The shank is made from 9ct yellow gold and has been soldered to the coin.

The sovereign has been fully polished to remove the face and create a signet ring.

The reverse of the sovereign is still visible as seen on the pictures.

The shank is 6.5mm wide .

The ring is 10.5 grams in weight including the full sovereign.

The sovereign has a lovely colour as expected with 22ct gold.

Polished with a high shine and scratch free.

UK ring size is = T ( EU size 61)

A great ring and a good investment.

Will come in a gift box.

Weirdly he/she says the face has been removed, yet I can see Victoria's face / head clearly.

"The reverse of the sovereign is still visible as seen on the pictures." Seller clearly does not know his head from his arse, which is what he appears to be talking through.

The thick shank should weigh more than 2.5 grams, so it's possible this is only a half sovereign.

Wildy overpriced even if it is a sovereign rather than a half sovereign.

When you say "created", were you referring to the ring or the ebay listing.

The ring was possibly created when sovereigns were worth between £1 and £4, and the coin might have already been quite worn, so no horror story IMO, although the ebay listing is the usual abomination.

This style of "bent" coin ring is much neater than the more popular claw or bezel type.

My grandmother used to wear one, and I got it "flipped" for her many years ago, so the less worn inner side was visable.

Chards

On 14/12/2021 at 00:40, sjhdesmond said:

I don't want to sound like the massive bleeding heart liberal that I blatantly am, but sometimes I feel the disdain for this jewelry can border on snobbery.

Like someone said above, these kinds of items have come into existence as a way for generally working-class, generally low income folks to save and preserve a bit of money with the care of their family in mind, or else as a way to supplement a pitiful state pension. 

In the Caucasus region, gold teeth are a way for poor people to create some kind of life insurance. They get pulled out and cashed in on death. It's a pretty good system for those without some of our privileges. But here we tend to look on gold teeth as an aesthetic abomination. You don't often see them nowadays outside of immigrant communities and maybe traveller folk.

Ironically, I saw a bloke on Dickinson's Real Deal not long ago selling his sovereign rings to pay for new dentures. It was kind of sad to watch. And not a great advert for how capitalism works for the poor in one of the world's largest economies.

It's not distain for the jewelry per se or for the people who originally bought them, but we are sovereign collectors and we don't like to see coins ruined from a numismatic point of view. Especially rare ones. If only these people would have just used common bullion sovs😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 05/12/2021 at 15:13, dicker said:

I am sure many of us see Sovereigns mounted / soldered or amalgamated into jewellery being offered for sale.

Many Sovereigns that have been “molested” in this way are run of the mill with high mintages.  (Watch Dickinsons Real Deal for some shockers).

The worst I have seen was on eBay a number of years ago was an 1886 M half Sovereign (Mintage 38,008)…. A horrific gold loop had been badly soldered to the top and it had clearly had a hard life.  

Has anyone else seen similar shockers?

Best

Dicker

Really hate it when people do that to Sovereigns .. IDk but it just annoys me