• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Genuine USA Silver Dollars in Fake PCGS Slabs

LawrenceChard

On 11/11/2021 at 14:37, LawrenceChard said:

I was shown three slabbed US silver $1's yesterday, in PCGS slabs. this was one of them:

IMG_20211110_162748.thumb.jpg.6ad7fd47ee691b4d2226dd8a6453c92c.jpg

We did not have our pro photographer on site, so Mobile phone pic instead.

It was the "PR" = Proof that stands out!

Chards

On 11/11/2021 at 17:28, Junior said:

Are the slabs noticeably tampered with? Or is there a way to determine the slab itself is a knock off of an original? Too hard to notice these things with a grainy picture. 

I din't get a good chance to study them, as I was busy checking about 100 incoming bullion sovereigns at the time. Our daughter Juliana was looking at the slabs, and she didn't like them. She also knows more about slabs than I do, and we had little time to discuss.

Rather than tampered with, we think they were fake slabs, as mentioned.

We did take more photos, but didn't have time to upload them. If we see them again, we will try to get pro photos.

Chards

I have seen PCGS where the number is correct and the type of coin is in the holder, however the slab and coin are wrong, they usually use coins that have not been photographed so there is no ref on the PCGS site.THey do still use photographed coin to clone so you still need to check to make sure.

The older Fake PCGS holders don't fit as well with the real ones plus the raised edges are different especially at the corners ,and the hologram,the paper ,ink ,font and barcode can be different (however you have to match it with the same type of PCGS holder)

There have been a lot of fake NGC and PCGS around for the last 15 to 20 years more so American, however as more world coins get slabbed it gives them more coins to clone.

NGC have the same problem however on some of NGC fakes you can tell by the sonic seal and the Type of lettering used which is slightly easier to spot than on the PCGS ones.

Really hate how they destroy a hobby for their own greed.  

Edited by Wampum

On 14/11/2021 at 17:40, Wampum said:

Just looked up the price HA sold the original  PR67 CAM  for $22800 in Jan 2021.Imagine the sheer disappointment if you received a clone. 

Proof Morgan Dollars, 1884 $1 PR67 Cameo PCGS. CAC....

Ok! Now I can see the difference. Clearly you can see the frosty appearance of this versus the coin from the original post. The lettering and holder itself I guess would have to be compared to a genuine holder for someone like myself to notice it. I had heard about genuine coins in fake holders, but I hadn’t seen the results of one before. Truly a sickening thing to do against the coin collecting community.

On 14/11/2021 at 22:32, Wampum said:

I have seen PCGS where the number is correct and the type of coin is in the holder, however the slab and coin are wrong, they usually use coins that have not been photographed so there is no ref on the PCGS site.THey do still use photographed coin to clone so you still need to check to make sure.

The older Fake PCGS holders don't fit as well with the real ones plus the raised edges are different especially at the corners ,and the hologram,the paper ,ink ,font and barcode can be different (however you have to match it with the same type of PCGS holder)

There have been a lot of fake NGC and PCGS around for the last 15 to 20 years more so American, however as more world coins get slabbed it gives them more coins to clone.

NGC have the same problem however on some of NGC fakes you can tell by the sonic seal and the Type of lettering used which is slightly easier to spot than on the PCGS ones.

Really hate how they destroy a hobby for their own greed.  

On 14/11/2021 at 22:40, Wampum said:

Just looked up the price HA sold the original  PR67 CAM  for $22800 in Jan 2021.Imagine the sheer disappointment if you received a clone. 

Proof Morgan Dollars, 1884 $1 PR67 Cameo PCGS. CAC....

9 hours ago, Junior said:

Ok! Now I can see the difference. Clearly you can see the frosty appearance of this versus the coin from the original post. The lettering and holder itself I guess would have to be compared to a genuine holder for someone like myself to notice it. I had heard about genuine coins in fake holders, but I hadn’t seen the results of one before. Truly a sickening thing to do against the coin collecting community.

Thanks @Wampum for finding the original. Juliana will be very interested to see that.

Chards

2 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

It's terrible how fakes ruin every hobby ...

It's not just hobbies.

There are fake car parts, jet aircraft parts, fake medicines, e-mails, telephone calls, police, websites, doctors...

Scary and worrying in different ways and amounts.

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

37 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

It's not just hobbies.

There are fake car parts, jet aircraft parts, fake medicines, e-mails, telephone calls, police, websites, doctors...

Scary and worrying in different ways and amounts.

True, there is no end at the list of fake things ... It's just terrible ...

Practicing as a bogus gynecologist is way more fun than being a genuine one... just sayin.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

35 minutes ago, Wampum said:

I don't think I could do that, I would be all fingers and thumbs.

You should be fine unless you're totally Ham-Fisted 🥴

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

1 hour ago, Junior said:

How about a wife with 2 fake silver boobs?

519578E1-E54D-4AA2-92E7-51494E6F8924.jpeg

Ok, you convinced be, or not, because I have a feeling that something else is also from Silver and that doesn't seems so nice for my good old friend downstairs ...

But the piece you have shown is just beautiful !! Is it a pice of art or a round or coin ?

40 minutes ago, Centauri167 said:

Ok, you convinced be, or not, because I have a feeling that something else is also from Silver and that doesn't seems so nice for my good old friend downstairs ...

But the piece you have shown is just beautiful !! Is it a pice of art or a round or coin ?

This is a one kilo bar. Technically a beautiful work of art, but regardless, still silver and still $$$