• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Sovereign's

DogSoldier1973

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a new member so sorry if this isn't allowed. I can't seem to post in the trade/sale section anyway I have a lot of sovereigns and I'm selling 5 half's in mint box with COA ALL proofs 2 of which are still in bag from mint. Only selling altogether if anyone is interested let me know :)

• Founder & Administrator

I'm a new member so sorry if this isn't allowed. I can't seem to post in the trade/sale section anyway I have a lot of sovereigns and I'm selling 5 half's in mint box with COA ALL proofs 2 of which are still in bag from mint. Only selling altogether if anyone is interested let me know :)

You need to post in the trade section but you need a minimum amount of posts before your account will allow you. I think it is only 3 posts.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I had an Interesting conversation with a coin dealer today, well his wife really as he had popped out to walk their dog. Anyway we got talking about business, and she said they were having trouble finding new stock to sell. She is convinced a lot of silver coins are definately going into the melting pot, but she also noted that gold sovs are also getting scarce (also going into the pot) and the 2014 sovs have disappeared off the planet, and she had heard on the grapevine that the RM may have to mint some more this year to cover demand.

Another thing she spoke about was the Royal Mint and their high prices, (yeah well we all know that LOL), but she said the wholesaler that they deal with, at the start of every year buys practically the RM's remaining stock of the previous years coins, (both silver and gold), literally by "the pallet load", (her words), buying millions of pounds worth at a time. She suggests that February / March time is the best time to get deals on the previous years RM proof sets.

I know this has already been reported but I thought it I would share the pic with you that was in the paper.  I have never seen one of these sovereigns. There was only 6 made. Good to see a paper reporting the near correct price of Gold.

Would you buy it for this price?

post-73-0-30048000-1405069730_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-95580900-1405069992_thumb.jpg

"He told the standard he had dug so deep for....." What's the ending?

If he has £50m in assets then £500k is only 1%. So quite affordable. I would have preferred a full date run of pandas but each to their own.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

"He told the standard he had dug so deep for....." What's the ending?

If he has £50m in assets then £500k is only 1%. So quite affordable. I would have preferred a full date run of pandas but each to their own.

He told the standard he had dug so deep for the coin.....

Stacker since 2013

I had an Interesting conversation with a coin dealer today, well his wife really as he had popped out to walk their dog. Anyway we got talking about business, and she said they were having trouble finding new stock to sell. She is convinced a lot of silver coins are definately going into the melting pot, but she also noted that gold sovs are also getting scarce (also going into the pot)

I don't know about the melting pot but my local dealer over the past month is selling out of every sovereign he has in at £200 each. They last about a day. This seems to have occurred since the beginning of June.

I think it's more of a case of buying and hoarding due to the price rather than being melted down, though I am sure some sovereigns do get melted.

Discounts / Offers

The needless apostrophe in this thread title winds me up no end.

Mr Sovereign

Discounts / Offers

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Sovereign

The needless apostrophe in this thread title winds me up no end.

Had this disscussion only a couple of days ago over a couple.

Came to comclusion that if the apostrophe is in the middle they it's replacing a missing letter and if at the end it's something belonging to Steve. gets weird with names that end in s like Jones and James etc.

English is a strange one !

I can see why old silver coins go into the melting pot, but why would

anyone melt gold sovereigns, surely it's easier to trade them as they are?

HH

If you are a gold buyer the only thing that matters is the fineness and the weight.

A gold buyer just passes on his gold for melting into bars to recycle into the market.

Some dealers do resale coins like sovereigns but most I imagine cannot be bothered so coins go into the melting pot.

I hope my theory is correct as it will lead to scarcity of older Victorian gold coins which can only make them more valuable to collectors in the future.

Aside from mass produced coins, gold buyers more frequently obtain beautiful jewellery and antique gold but all they look for is carat and weight and then it is bagged, ready for the furnace.

Surely if a year date becomes scarce then the melt would stop due to the premium going up.

And over the 110 years or so for Victorias wouldn't the number of sovs in the market have dwindled to the point that they would be harded to find than hens teeth! :D

I'm going for many of these are in large collections run by family collectors.

• 4 months later...

Not the elusive 1937 Edward VIII but someone has taken very good care of this George VI half sov, up on eBay now for £750 or best offer.

Seems a little expensive looking at what sales there have been on ebay and at auction @ londoncoins

One sold for about £500 at the recent auction (based on my maths of including a 17% premium which may well be off) 

Suppose if you're a collector the chance of getting the coin at all is worth the price. 

I would like one, would be pretty cool to have  B)

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

In contrast to my gold purchases yesterday, I went into a jewellers in the Metro Centre today and noticed they had several full and half sovereigns under the counter. I enquired as to how much they were because they had a 2002 half sovereign, the reply "£375" for a full sovereign, and "£185" for a half sovereign, needless to say I came out empty handed.

Do people really pay theses prices.

In contrast to my gold purchases yesterday, I went into a jewellers in the Metro Centre today and noticed they had several full and half sovereigns under the counter. I enquired as to how much they were because they had a 2002 half sovereign, the reply "£375" for a full sovereign, and "£185" for a half sovereign, needless to say I came out empty handed.

Do people really pay theses prices.

I can beat that. Went into a Jewellers myself today. They had some nice gold half Guineas for £400. Several Sovs for £380, and half sovs for £225. And here is the kicker............."a rare Austrian Marie Theresea Thaler in a silver pendant frame" for £300

Like you I laughed and came out empty handed.... :D  

"a rare Austrian Marie Theresea Thaler in a silver pendant frame" for £300

Will look forward to your pictures in the received thread  :P  couldn't pass up that could you lol. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Archived