• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Sovereign's

DogSoldier1973

would anyone recommend buying ANY sovs on e bay  , reason I ask is that ive seen a video on chards and a daily job for the owner is to check through the ones they buy in  for fakes with his eye glass

so just wondered if e bay was a no no  for sovs and just stick to bullion dealers

regards

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I thought perth mint HR gold koalas had a high premium. The people bidding for this are nuts! I can imagine myself paying double the price of gold for a proof but to pay £16k! I like the collecting side of precious metal coins, but not £16k per coin much!

http://youtu.be/U5aKYCKrUG4

Watched this the other day. About 3 minutes in, Chards would be happy to pay at least £10k or more for a mint 1841 Sovereign. But there are also alot of numismatic forgeries out there made from real 22ct Gold, but they're fake sovereigns with a fake year. I love sovereigns, but would only buy from a dealer.

Just watched it and some more of their videos, very enlightening and also worrying I too like sovereigns and will soon be buying my 11th and 12th cins.

As you say I will only buy from dealers or my local jewellers.

I have bought from a dealer and received a fake - a jeweller's copy which the dealer replaced without question after I sent a report.

If you are buying bullion sovereigns and know the specifications and can weight the coin and measure diameter & thickness, eBay is safe especially using PayPal. It is adviseable to thoroughly check each coin on receipt and I check coins bought from dealers by just weighing them as I know the feel. I would be more thorough on eBay coins and I would be very nervous buying numis at high premiums. Personally I would avoid numi gold coins altogether unless the seller was well established in the PM business and you had good data to establish the coin was genuine.

is that $190 or £190. If it was the former, I'd have snapped the guys arm off for it. even if it was the latter, I'd probably have bought it as well.  :D

Ah yes, old habits lol it was £190.

Still wondering if I shouldn't have gone for it..... :huh:

well you won't find any of the online dealers being able to get one to your door at that price. I have a new rule, if i am out and about, and I see a sov for sale at a price within 5% of spot, I'm going to buy it. Got a little currency app on my phone with the gold price of a sov logged into it. so I always know the current sov value. I have to buy at least 6 or 7 sovs before I am allowing myself to buy any more silver.

Old sovereigns are getting rarer because I assume until only recently a sovereign was only worth its weight in gold.

As gold peaked, bullion dealers were not interested in any coins so they were scrapped and smelted into bars to be resold into the market. This meant that Victorian coins and shields for example started to disappear forever. Now collectors seeking out rarer coins are prepared to pay higher prices. More bullion dealers have now realised that there is a market for these coins so are no longer melting them but selling them at a premium.

As gold peaked, bullion dealers were not interested in any coins so they were scrapped and smelted into bars to be resold into the market. This meant that Victorian coins and shields for example started to disappear forever. 

I find that surprising considering it is illegal to melt sovereigns, as they are protected under the UK's Coinage Act.

Archived