• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Sovereign's

DogSoldier1973

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot see the benefit of buying a 5 sovereign coin at the price of 5 separate sovereigns, uncirculated or not because at the end of the day the price is determined by the weight of gold and less so its condition unless a proof. Selling in the Bay might get you a few shillings more but once they have taken their pound of flesh I would suggest buying smaller denominations unless the price was a real bargain. The price you were offered is fair but I would walk away.

I cannot see the benefit of buying a 5 sovereign coin at the price of 5 separate sovereigns, uncirculated or not because at the end of the day the price is determined by the weight of gold and less so its condition unless a proof. Selling in the Bay might get you a few shillings more but once they have taken their pound of flesh I would suggest buying smaller denominations unless the price was a real bargain. The price you were offered is fair but I would walk away.

I agree Pete - sound advice. £900 or less would be a good price - but I doubt he will bend. He has enough "non switched on" customers who purchase his normal sovereigns at £230 each, so to them £975 would appear a bargain.

You can get used mixed dates cheaper at Atkinsons.

1984, 2000 (Anno Domini), 2009 (Olympic Countdown)

http://atkinsonsbullion.com/gold-coins/quintuple-sovereign-gold-coin

Thanks Helping Hands - they are certainly cheaper.

I wont pay over £900 as Pete is correct in his analysis. My only concern with Atkinson's used is that there have been comments that condition can vary. Whilst uncirculated isn't proof, its also not pitted or scarred - and therefore looks nicer in my display box (though gold value is unchanged). Appreciate the link.  :)

Thanks Helping Hands - they are certainly cheaper.

I wont pay over £900 as Pete is correct in his analysis. My only concern with Atkinson's used is that there have been comments that condition can vary. Whilst uncirculated isn't proof, its also not pitted or scarred - and therefore looks nicer in my display box (though gold value is unchanged). Appreciate the link.  :)

If your main aim is to show off a coin then consider a proof coin or if fiat permits a proof boxed set of 3 or 4 coins.

I found Malcolm Ellis a decent supplier of proofs at reasonable prices.

When you compare a proof one ounce Britannia or it's sister Sovereign against an uncirculated bullion you will be amazed at the difference.

Very slight discussion de-railment but has anyone had a 2014 sovereign yet? Got one today and was surprised at how coppery the colour is - doesn't look very "gold" at all. As a matter of habit I checked it over and the weight and diameter are spot on, but it's about 0.16 mm thicker than the widely quoted 1.52mm...

It was purchased as new from a reputable dealer and what with the dimensions and colour I was pretty paranoid until I did some looking around. Although This video shows a 2013 sov that appears to be a little on the thick side (and a few people have indicated there were some changes to the coin), I would rather my investments are backed by more than random Youtube comments. Would have been nice for the RM to confirm if they've actually altered something.

Very slight discussion de-railment but has anyone had a 2014 sovereign yet? Got one today and was surprised at how coppery the colour is - doesn't look very "gold" at all. As a matter of habit I checked it over and the weight and diameter are spot on, but it's about 0.16 mm thicker than the widely quoted 1.52mm...

It was purchased as new from a reputable dealer and what with the dimensions and colour I was pretty paranoid until I did some looking around. Although This video shows a 2013 sov that appears to be a little on the thick side (and a few people have indicated there were some changes to the coin), I would rather my investments are backed by more than random Youtube comments. Would have been nice for the RM to confirm if they've actually altered something.

I have the 2014 sovereign and agree your observation of the colour.

New sovereigns appear much glossier and coppery than older coins.

As for thickness, 10% does seem rather high but this is a tricky measurement.

Did you take micrometer measurements near the centre or did you just measure the rim ?

Measuring the rim is prone to error as there are variations in the pressing with some coins having a raised lip.

If the thickness is genuinely 10% above spec then the carat would be just under 20 ct and this would not be worth faking so I reckon your coin is genuine 22ct and the error is in the measurement otherwise the coin would weigh 8.8 grams.

Thanks for the reassurance Pete! The reading was taken round the rim using vernier calipers as there really is no other way to do it with the tools I have to hand (I know they aren't as accurate as a good micrometer but because the diameter was correct I think they're reasonable enough), and there is a definite lip which must be affecting the measurement. I'm inclined to believe my scale first and foremost and the weight was exactly as it should be.

Thanks for the reassurance Pete! The reading was taken round the rim using vernier calipers as there really is no other way to do it with the tools I have to hand (I know they aren't as accurate as a good micrometer but because the diameter was correct I think they're reasonable enough), and there is a definite lip which must be affecting the measurement. I'm inclined to believe my scale first and foremost and the weight was exactly as it should be.

Yes, if the rim is a little proud then you are measuring the extended rim thickness and that would confirm my suspicions.

Sleep easy.

I always make a central micrometer measurement because I too panicked, a few years ago, when I bought some sovs on feeBay and my first concern was over-thickness - but this was due entirely to a protruding rim.

All this talk of Sovereigns was getting to me...

So I've just been to the LCS and picked up a 1966 sovereign (£200)

I really love it. It was actually sovereigns that initially got me into PMs but I had to sell them a few years ago. I forgot how nice they are. The one. Got is is in such good condition - it's beautiful. There's something about the thickness and milling that's very appealing. It's very crisp like it was minted today and has that radiating beam pattern when you move it that has a name but I forgot what it's called.

I might turn into a collector yet...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

can anyone help please or am I cracking up

on atkinsons their mixed years gold sovereigns are £197.04 for one

their mixed year half sovereigns are 2 for £196.50

is it me or is that a few pence cheaper and no penalty for taking half the weight

so as a stacker more coins feels better but this example dosent penalise you , or am I reading it wrong

regards

Those are what I linked, except on my screen there is no sovereign on the third row (Panda, Eagle, Belgian coin, Iranian for me) but there is one on the fourth row.

Besides, Atkinsons offers free delivery on UK orders* on everything anyway, where are you reading £9.99 delivery? Are you sure you're looking at Atkinsons?

*I presume you're UK based anyway

My mistake my man! But the prices on Atkinsons still don't make the difference a few pence, more like a few quid.

Bear in mind bullionuk.com is a minimum order threshold of £500.

It's not unheard of to find a pair of halves a few pence different to a regular then it's a good deal. (But i'd still get the regular).

Archived