• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Sovereign's

DogSoldier1973

Well, bullionuk has the minimum order limit and charges for postage and charges £205 for a George V sovereign. So unless you want to buy more gold from them (better silver prices elsewhere) then it's impossible.

Bullionbypost charges £221 for a George V sovereign with free delivery. Atkinsons charges £197 for a 'full gold sovereign' and free delivery, problem being there is no guarantee on the year of the coin, presumably you could contact them and let them know you want a specific face (like George V), these websties are usually pretty accomodating to such things.

2014 sovereigns are £200.74 and ~£204 on Atkinsons and Bullionbypost. Atkinsons (from these) seems the best bet.

It's been described elsewhere that because gold is VAT free then importing it *typically* won't save you much money unlike silver, there is a thread with bucketloads of other dealers which would be good to check.

Personally I have a nearby dealer who offers me a decent price plus a 'loyalty discount', don't buy a whole lot of gold online unless my local can't get it for me. Although from pure selection bullionbypost is interesting.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you buy bullion sovereigns from any of these sellers you will not know what you will receive or the condition of the coin.

They are sold on fair condition only.

I am not sure these sellers know their inventory or list dates etc.

Those who screen their coins into eras will charge a premium but again condition is pot luck.

Baird and Co is well priced for 2014s. Postage is around £7.50 and is great for mixing and matching since the postage premium isn't added onto the price.

They do have other years etc but I have no idea how they fair in price.

Not really a fan of half-sovereigns, they are just too small for my tastes, but right now Atkinsons have 2 halves for about £194 for the pair, versus single full sovereigns from £198-£199, all postage included

As gold spot price is hovering just beneath £770/oz this still isn't the most efficient price per oz, but if you want your gold sovereign-shaped, the halves are slightly better value.

• 2 weeks later...

Sovereigns and half sovereigns are extremely popular and when gold dips many dealers find themselves short of supply due to heavy buying.

That often means a sneaky price increase under the radar.

A sovereign weighing say 8 grams contains 22/24 parts gold so 7.3 grams.

Take the London fix gold price each day and calculate the value of 7.3 g gold.

That is what your coin is worth by weight in gold.

When buying, a fair price is within 5% of this and a great price is 3% above fix.

Unless the coin is special or proof, shop around if paying over 5% unless you are fixated on a specific coin.

Don't forget there are double and quintuple sovereigns, the latter being 5 sovereigns worth i.e. 36.6 grams so well over a Troy ounce.

The £5 sovereign is a stunner and if you are lucky to have one of these in proof condition it is a show stopper.

When gold is trading low as it has been recently there are often bargains buying sovereign sets of 3 or 4 coins.

Taxfreegold lists all the sets so you can see mintages and the coins.

Useful if someone is offering a set without a description.

Sets are typically priced at or around spot plus 8-10% bought from the best dealers or substantially more ( 50%+ ) if you haven't done your research.

Sovereigns and half sovereigns are extremely popular and when gold dips many dealers find themselves short of supply due to heavy buying.

That often means a sneaky price increase under the radar.

A sovereign weighing say 8 grams contains 22/24 parts gold so 7.3 grams.

Take the London fix gold price each day and calculate the value of 7.3 g gold.

That is what your coin is worth by weight in gold.

When buying, a fair price is within 5% of this and a great price is 3% above fix.

Unless the coin is special or proof, shop around if paying over 5% unless you are fixated on a specific coin.

Don't forget there are double and quintuple sovereigns, the latter being 5 sovereigns worth i.e. 36.6 grams so well over a Troy ounce.

The £5 sovereign is a stunner and if you are lucky to have one of these in proof condition it is a show stopper.

When gold is trading low as it has been recently there are often bargains buying sovereign sets of 3 or 4 coins.

Taxfreegold lists all the sets so you can see mintages and the coins.

Useful if someone is offering a set without a description.

Sets are typically priced at or around spot plus 8-10% bought from the best dealers or substantially more ( 50%+ ) if you haven't done your research.

Pete your comments persuaded me to purchase the Quintuple Sovereign I mentioned previously.

I thought it was an uncirculated coin, but it is in fact a Proof Coin with all necessary certificates and in Royal Mint Presentation Box.

Paid £980 - could not find it cheaper elsewhere - and yes - I love the coin.  (Pic is of the same coin I have but I placed mine in Safety Deposit Box immediately after purchase).

m2bvnNWc1gUKXpsVcyecyRg.jpg

Got a Victorian sovereign today from ATS Bullion and it was their last one. I've noticed that Atkinsons have been out of the older sovereigns for a while now save for a batch of

Edwardian sovs they managed to get in. The guy at ATS told me that fewer people are coming in with sovs to sell so stocks are low. Don't know what the siuation is like on ebay but I imagine it will be difficult from now on to get them cheaply.

Got a Victorian sovereign today from ATS Bullion and it was their last one. I've noticed that Atkinsons have been out of the older sovereigns for a while now save for a batch of

Edwardian sovs they managed to get in. The guy at ATS told me that fewer people are coming in with sovs to sell so stocks are low. Don't know what the siuation is like on ebay but I imagine it will be difficult from now on to get them cheaply.

Atkinsons never seem to have them in stock on their website. Bullionbypost usually have them although at a higher price.

Atkinsons never seem to have them in stock on their website. Bullionbypost usually have them although at a higher price.

Do Bullionbypost really have them though?

As it happens, Atkinsons have 43 Edwardian sovs in stock. Just checked.

But zero Victorian and Georgian.

• 2 weeks later...

Atkinsons had about 10 young head vic sovs and I was going to pull the trigger today but they've all gone now.

I'll have to make do with a Georgian sov.

Austria are planning to audit their gold at the BofE so someone might ask you if they can borrow some of yours for the day.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually looking for a website with a regularly updated price guide for some of the rarer sovs. More of a nuismatic site as a opposed to to a general bullion site. Just thought it might be an idea to have a few dates to look out for that may have decent premiums, when i'm having a look at the sovs at the various money lending shops.

bullionbypost.co.uk isn't that bad either, the option for most (if not all) sovereign designs are there but it's dependent on availability. You can register to get an email when they come back in stock.

Archived