• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Accepting small milk spots on coins from online dealers?

Wadsworth

I bought 4 Queens Beasts coins online from Gold Bank London.

3 of them had significant milk spots on them and I sent photos and they allowed me to post them back and sent out 3 replacements. 

Of the replacements, one has a very small milk spot on the queens face side (about 1.5mm) and one other has a light 2mm scratch to the queens cheek. Would you say this is acceptable and should I just keep them? They are much better than the previous ones I was sent.

I know the coins are bullion quality and so I guess I should expect some marks?

Just seeing what the forum think as I am new to collecting coins!

As they are bullion coins I guess it's luck of the draw what you receive. The scratch and milkspot (size wise)  isn't a major problem although once you have a milkspot it can get worse overtime.saying that you can have a perfect bullion/proof coin with no blemishes and 6 months later can develop spotting. I'd just keep them,if you send them back you could end up with replacements in worse condition....The joys of silver🙄

Queen's Beasts have a certain colletability character. I wouldn't accept milk spots on these and ask for spotless coins.

Especially as I guess you paid added premium on these already unless you got the latest coins only.

I wouldn't be as harsh on pure bullion coins like Britannias.

It's your decision to pay extra premium for bullion. They come loose in tubes, so you have to live with scratches. Very fair from your dealer, offering a exchange because of spots and scratches on bullion coins. If you want better quality coins, you should buy at least encapsuled coins. Propably not from the RM. And to be 100% sure your coins don't start milkspots, buy gold. Everything else is always a gamble.

2 hours ago, Wadsworth said:

Yes I am conflicted, It does seem like a lot of hassle to post them back again so maybe I will just accept the marks on the coins. I just wanted to see what other people usually do!

I slam my doors, bang my head on the wall and ask myself, why i'm addicted to silver. Than i put some of my stack on the table and i'm back to my happy place. Straight masochism my friend, straight masochism   

@Wadsworth Re spots Its a difficult one for a collector to wrestle with, if it is the last one you need to complete your set I'd tolerate a spot, as QB  2 ozers are not that rare I'd take the one with a spot to complete my set & watch out for a better one in the future which will come up.

I deliberately bought only clean graded 69 & 70 2oz QBs for exactly the reason you are irritated about namely milkspots & srcatches. Although now the price for the graded 2oz QBs are very high with the exception of the bull.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

On 16/09/2021 at 03:58, dikefalos said:

And to be 100% sure your coins don't start milkspots, buy gold. Everything else is always a gamble.

Agree with your gold comment.  If you’re getting four nines fine gold tho, better encapsulate it to protect it from scratches.  

As a Canadian, I’m gonna have to do a shameless plug for the Canadian silver maple leaf.  😝  From 2018 onwards, 1 oz SML bullion have the Mintshield technology which greatly reduces the probability of getting milk spots.  So if you’re stacking silver and you don’t want milk spots, the SML is the obvious choice.  

https://www.mint.ca/store/campaign/Mintshield-7700022

Buying bullion coins is buying precious metal - buying proof coins is buying collectible coins. The higher premium you pay the higher quality we may expect. Buying QB bullion coins and expecting no milk spots and other imperfections is like buying Fiat 500 (which I like) and expecting quality of Mini Cooper. The seller's offer was fair - I would accept it.

Edited by marianO

4 hours ago, SilverStorm said:

Agree with your gold comment.  If you’re getting four nines fine gold tho, better encapsulate it to protect it from scratches.  

As a Canadian, I’m gonna have to do a shameless plug for the Canadian silver maple leaf.  😝  From 2018 onwards, 1 oz SML bullion have the Mintshield technology which greatly reduces the probability of getting milk spots.  So if you’re stacking silver and you don’t want milk spots, the SML is the obvious choice.  

https://www.mint.ca/store/campaign/Mintshield-7700022

The Maples are notorious for spotting pre 2018..hopefully their mintshield tech is going to improve their bullion and proofs. I do like the Maples but have been put off by excessive milkspotting. Hopefully this has changed going forward..👍