• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2nd coin in Myths and Legends - Maid Marian 2022

I'm afraid the design is not very exciting.  Assuming this is a bullion coin, I would rather go for the "Completer" bullion than the "Maid Marion" one.  It is difficult to see who the target audience is for this "Maid Marion" coin.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/08/2021 at 08:54, Zhorro said:

It is difficult to see who the target audience is for this "Maid Marion" coin.

I like it. It's my first coin. Also ordered the robin hood one. I like the way the leaves overlap the edge. Target is maybe those who prefer a less orderly naturalistic scene.

15 minutes ago, cucumber said:

I like it. It's my first coin. Also ordered the robin hood one. I like the way the leaves overlap the edge. Target is maybe those who prefer a less orderly naturalistic scene.

I've got Robin so i need to get Marion and John too I guess, otherwise they would be lonely and mental health issues may follow leading to premature milking...😂

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

39 minutes ago, cucumber said:

im guessing king arthur might come up. He certainly had a conveniently shaped table to be represented in coin form anyway.

Perish the thought of a 2oz version of the knights of the round table followed by a 'completer' of the table itself!

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

I do not mind the coin and I think having the leaves in the background and over the edge is a change from just having the writing and a blank background. I just hope the Royal Mint has better quality control with this one. I just think they could have chosen the subject matter better. The Royal Mint could have just stuck to the main character from the stories or has a separate coin series for each of the stories. With Robin Hood it bugs me that they are only doing Robin Hood, Maid Marian and Little John and not the other characters such as King John, Sheriff of Nottingham or Friar Tuck. There are also so many stories they could choose from and if they are doing multiple characters from the same story then we are not going to end up with a lot of different stories showcased. I also presume that King Arthur will be another series and there are a lot of good characters which could be made into coins in that series that most likely won't be represented in coin form. This series had so much potential and although I do not mind the coins so far I am underwhelmed with what the Royal Mint has come up with. Much like the Lunar Series. The series could have been a great hit but the series was severely lacking.

Edited by ShadowTriad

Some good points made but overall not a series which design/s inspire me enough to pay anymore than Britannia bullion prices.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

I'm really new to gold and recently got my first coins from RM, and have instantly caught the bug!

When I bought my first coins I dismissed the Robin Hood as messy and ugly but I was interested when I saw the maid Marion and decided to just get the pair. I was surprised by the Robin Hood, it actually looks great in person whereas the maid Marion is just too fussy, not bad but nothing special.

I doubt these will be the next queen's beasts but you never know, if they go for the King Arthur myths they could be quite something. I just fancied jumping on a collection from the start and at 20 /30 quid over a brittania why not take a punt.

Maybe it's a girl thing, but I genuinely love this coin, and my daughter is a big fan too! This Marion has a very similar design aesthetic as the reimagined Una from the bars last year, and those are beautiful in person. 

47 minutes ago, Edeline said:

Maybe it's a girl thing, but I genuinely love this coin, and my daughter is a big fan too! This Marion has a very similar design aesthetic as the reimagined Una from the bars last year, and those are beautiful in person. 

I bought a una bar and it's lovely, it's my girlfriends favourite