• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Looking to invest

paul159

Hi,

As a complete novice, I'm looking for advice on purchasing physical silver for storage at home, using savings (about £15000) plus some junk silver for emergency use possibly. I'm not particularly interested in numismatic. If I understand correctly, it's better to obtain 50-90% 0.999 fine silver for the investment. Maybe now is not the time to buy, I know premiums are very high...

If anyone could recommend any trusted dealers it would be appreciated. I live in Essex.

17 minutes ago, paul159 said:

Hi,

As a complete novice, I'm looking for advice on purchasing physical silver for storage at home, using savings (about £15000) plus some junk silver for emergency use possibly. I'm not particularly interested in numismatic. If I understand correctly, it's better to obtain 50-90% 0.999 fine silver for the investment. Maybe now is not the time to buy, I know premiums are very high...

If anyone could recommend any trusted dealers it would be appreciated. I live in Essex.

I wouldn't trust any dealers from Essex! 🙂

Chards

@paul159I would agree just now is not the best time to buy with very high premiums and VAT on top. I would not be looking to blow the 15k on a UK dealer.

If this is the path you have researched and think it is best, the best info I could add would be to get yourself premium membership on here.

The deals go on here quick but the price on here beats the dealers everyday. 

If you get premium membership you will be first to see new deals that get offered. 

This will be the best use of your money. 

2 hours ago, paul159 said:

Hi,

Anything British bud. Only buy bits that you can sell on easily. Pre 1920s, 47s, Britt's, queen's beasts and sovs. Other bits do sell but to a smaller market. 

There is a dealer directory section of the forum. Living in Essex, the cheapest option would be Bairds for Kilo bars, works out at £19.38 an ounce but you have to add vat, unless you opt for storage.

1 minute ago, Airhead said:

There is a dealer directory section of the forum. Living in Essex, the cheapest option would be Bairds for Kilo bars, works out at £19.38 an ounce but you have to add vat, unless you opt for storage.

I see. Why wouldn't I need to pay vat if I opt for storage?

4 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

How does it work with storage when you want to sell? 

With Bairds they will guarantee to buy anything in your allocated holding.

Just now, paul159 said:

Oh right I understand. Thanks

Baird are well trusted dealer and accredited lbma refiner. They also have a showroom in Hatton garden if you wished to deal in person over counter, remember to take your ID and proof of address

2 minutes ago, Airhead said:

But I would not think about silver at the moment in any shape or form unless as a collector you had a hankering for a particular numismatic dainty.

I was considering silver in the context of the possible hyper-inflation of the dollar...

Just now, paul159 said:

I was considering silver in the context of the possible hyper-inflation of the dollar...

In that case forget Silver and buy gold. Either 1oz Britannias, low margin, or bullion Sovereigns, very liquid.

2 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Small denominations Paul. Please don't go and spend 15 grand on one bar. 

Thanks Bigmarc. Like 1oz Britannias I guess. I haven't looked at gold at all, could you suggest how I might go about it?

21 minutes ago, paul159 said:

Thanks Bigmarc. Like 1oz Britannias I guess. I haven't looked at gold at all, could you suggest how I might go about it?

Gold full sovereigns your best premium/value for money %over spot

By my count 2020 onward the following countries are going through hyper inflation: 

Lebanon, Cuba, Venezuela, South Africa. 

They say in hyper inflation gold leads silver in timing of the increase but silver jumps bigger. So the ideal would be to somehow have foreknowledge of the timings then you could time it right and trade out of gold into silver, but in reality the costs of selling gold and the premiums of buying silver during the panic would make that unpractical in my circumstances for me. 

I'd like to learn more about how silver does in those modern hyper inflationary nations. I wish these silver channels on YouTube would tell that story. 

For me 999 silver lost its appeal when VAT came with Brexit and also the premiums got so high with #silverqueeze hype

But there's no VAT or premiums on 1947 British coins, good for emergencies, it's something I've been buying recently. 

4 hours ago, Airhead said:

In that case forget Silver and buy gold. Either 1oz Britannias, low margin, or bullion Sovereigns, very liquid.

Hi Airhead, I think the quantity I'm looking to acquire, would mean I'd have to go through a dealer I suppose, such as Baird or Bullion by Post....say 30 sovereigns brings the premium down to around 5.5%. Is that worth it in your opinion?