• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anyone here lost gold?

Prophecy

As nearly all my holdings are vaulted, I am considering going more physical than Arnie in Commando. I thought it would be interesting to hear stories of people who have lost any or all of their PMs in their possession at some time. Honest stories, not "I've just lost all my gold over the side of a boat at the weekend so the government/wife cant get it". Come to think of it... anyone lost some of their PMs through divorce?!

I have effectively lost a few fake sovereigns. I was keeping them out of interest but decided to stow them somewhere out of the way just in case. I'm bugg**ed if I can remember where they are now! Hopefully I'll fall over them at some point.🤞

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Me no. but one month ago DHL lost a numismatic piece on the way, 40 French francs of Louis XVIII in really good conditions (I wanted to summit for grading). I will be refunded (payed by PayPal) but that coin..... really hard to find.

5 hours ago, Kraittos said:

Me no. but one month ago DHL lost a numismatic piece on the way, 40 French francs of Louis XVIII in really good conditions (I wanted to summit for grading). I will be refunded (payed by PayPal) but that coin..... really hard to find.

Doubt DHL lost it 🤣

ive lost gold about 10000000 ozs and if you find it, PM me so you can return it back to me 🤪

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

8 minutes ago, silvernewbie said:

I had a 22ct gold chain yanked from my neck after 20 years of continuous wear!  was worth 4-5k

Damn. Where and when (time of day) did that happen? A lot of people in here are thinking about bullion jewellery for a variety of reasons which has these risks obv

39 minutes ago, Prophecy said:

Damn. Where and when (time of day) did that happen? A lot of people in here are thinking about bullion jewellery for a variety of reasons which has these risks obv

I should have added it happened in Costa Rica!

tbh iv travelled all over the world walking in remote red light districts at 3am and never had an issue.  South America is known for these types of crimes and they apparently can tell when something is pure gold.

Currently saving up for a 120g 22ct chain

8 hours ago, Melon said:

Doubt DHL lost it 🤣

The story is very strange, in fact it was the delivery man (independent delivery man working for DHL France). He called me to tell me that he couldn't find my envelope, "I lost your envelope, sorry" just like that. That's if DHL is investigating because they suspect that the delivery guy has done something..

5 hours ago, silvernewbie said:

I should have added it happened in Costa Rica!

tbh iv travelled all over the world walking in remote red light districts at 3am and never had an issue.  South America is known for these types of crimes and they apparently can tell when something is pure gold.

Currently saving up for a 120g 22ct chain

Lol

Small detail , it was in the middle of the night in a redlight district in south america...

Dont know the situation in costa rica, when i was in santa fe (bogota colombia) the taxi guy said to me dont go having drinks in clubs ( scopolamine) and its better to go with someone else than alone...Showing money/ iphones is asking for trouble

Anyway feel sorry for your loss

20 hours ago, Kraittos said:

Was it enveloped or boxed? The feeling of mass in a cardboard backed envelope is a dead giveaway for a delivery person to know it's likely to be a dense metal. If they can feel a round shape in that also then game over

Last year a French 20 Francs gold coin (bought from a French seller) improved my knowledge of Geography. I did get reimbursed two months after it was declared lost, so I was not out of pocket thank goodness.

I tracked it from France ..to my horror it went to West Africa...never to be seen again!

I wonder if the seller put GB on the parcel, and not Great Britain....it went to Grand- Bassam! 
7CC0807A-BC17-4E90-BA97-809EA6F4F2AA.thumb.jpeg.f3b88ad3582f0dde68ffaae5a04ce445.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Last year a French 20 Francs gold coin (bought from a French seller) improved my knowledge of Geography. I did get reimbursed two months after it was declared lost, so I was not out of pocket thank goodness.

I tracked it from France ..to my horror it went to West Africa...never to be seen again!

I wonder if the seller put GB on the parcel, and not Great Britain....it went to Grand- Bassam! 
7CC0807A-BC17-4E90-BA97-809EA6F4F2AA.thumb.jpeg.f3b88ad3582f0dde68ffaae5a04ce445.jpeg

The classic Great Britain / Grand Bassam switcharoo. "Zut alors, we thought they meant Grand Bassam! Naturellement, Grand Bassam is a hub of global trade, n'est-ce pas? "

2 hours ago, Prophecy said:

Was it enveloped or boxed? The feeling of mass in a cardboard backed envelope is a dead giveaway for a delivery person to know it's likely to be a dense metal. If they can feel a round shape in that also then game over

I bought the coin in CGB, the web but would be that I know of French numismatics and usually send the coins in double A4 size, which does not make you suspect that inside there is a coin and outside as a name put "bookstore X", so either you know them for having bought with them or a worker does not know that there is that and more when they were 13 grams of currency.

On 07/06/2020 at 08:17, Kraittos said:

I bought the coin in CGB, the web but would be that I know of French numismatics and usually send the coins in double A4 size, which does not make you suspect that inside there is a coin and outside as a name put "bookstore X", so either you know them for having bought with them or a worker does not know that there is that and more when they were 13 grams of currency.

You bought it in Central Grand Bassam?? That explains everything. Everyone knows about that place! 

Archived