• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold confiscated

GoldenPhil

I think a lot of people in here forget WHY a government would want to confiscate, restrict, tax the hell out of gold. It's not like 1934 USA, it's more around releasing the value stored in the gold to get it into the economy. Also, democratic governments are more likely to go after whatever asset that they feel the population will give them the most permission to do so. Gold will come before real estate in that regard. No one will care if gold coins are banned.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GoldenPhil said:

My wife has a 24k ring. It's as soft as chocolate on a summers day. The necklaces wouldn't be for use just to keep away from the government gold snatchers lol

I've heard a Kerry Gold wrapper is great for bars.

1 hour ago, Prophecy said:

I think a lot of people in here forget WHY a government would want to confiscate, restrict, tax the hell out of gold. It's not like 1934 USA, it's more around releasing the value stored in the gold to get it into the economy. Also, democratic governments are more likely to go after whatever asset that they feel the population will give them the most permission to do so. Gold will come before real estate in that regard. No one will care if gold coins are banned.

Very true. Also by targeting gold coins and bars but not jewelry it means that very few people we be affected by it so it will pass into legislation easily. 

You can always exchange your precious soft gold ( that you fear might be taken by the state ) for silver with a great rate of exchange at the moment.
Even platinum if you can avoid the UK rip-off 20% VAT with both metals.

😎

On a more serious note let’s say they did confiscate people’s gold but some people managed to hide theirs.  Would it actually be worth anything because who would risk buying it or taking it in trade?  Or would it be worth more because supply, albeit effectively on the black market, be scarce?

6 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

On a more serious note let’s say they did confiscate people’s gold but some people managed to hide theirs.  Would it actually be worth anything because who would risk buying it or taking it in trade?  Or would it be worth more because supply, albeit effectively on the black market, be scarce?

Most likely a risky business 

Screenshot_20200510-205656_Chrome.jpg

13 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

Keep to coins of your own realm, they won’t touch it says Jim Sinclair

What a fascinating assessment of the global debt problem and what the current circumstance has done for it. Interesting to see other perspectives, thanks for the post.

24kt jewellery is too soft, but 22ct ie Asian Gold, is durable and a great investment.  The problem is UK jewellers charge VAT and high labour charges whereas places like Dubai and Asia are much cheaper to buy Gold, so a trip will pay for itself.  

The UK government has been seizing gold, tonnes of it. The Bank of England refused to release Venezuela's gold because they don't like the incumbent president and prefer to opt for the US backed coop leader. There is thousands of tonnes of other peoples gold in vaults in London and New York. Whilst I don't think nations that are allies would ever get the Venezuela treatment its possible in dire straights the UK government could seize gold from ETF'S or other financial institutions and settle in cash or bonds.

https://www.cityam.com/going-gold-bank-england-became-battleground-venezuela/

"Initially, the Bank cited “operational reasons”, saying the necessary insurance and shipping arrangements could not be put in place"

Considering this article was written in February 2019 the above quote sounds eerily similar to the soundbites being put out right now as to why there's a shortage of physical gold right now. Funny that, makes you wonder. 

Just now, silvernewbie said:

24kt jewellery is too soft, but 22ct ie Asian Gold, is durable and a great investment.  The problem is UK jewellers charge VAT and high labour charges whereas places like Dubai and Asia are much cheaper to buy Gold, so a trip will pay for itself.  

If you want to buy gold jewellery in the UK head to an area that has a large Indian or Pakistani population and you'll find some of the most stunning 22 carat jewellery sold by the gram for a reasonable mark up. Obviously you have to pay for the labour cost, overheads and VAT but I managed to buy a chain for 58% over spot 18 months ago from this London jewelers. https://www.minarjewellers.com/

I also bought some gold jewellery in Jaipur, India recently. Proceed with caution in India though, stick to the big names and know what your buying. The spot price of gold in India is always higher due to gold import tax (~10% I think) and it also varies by region. Even accounting for that, the cost of labour is lower so its still a bargain. Haggle hard every time and pay with foreign currency and you'll get a decent discount from the initial price. 

1 hour ago, freefall said:

If you want to buy gold jewellery in the UK head to an area that has a large Indian or Pakistani population and you'll find some of the most stunning 22 carat jewellery sold by the gram for a reasonable mark up. Obviously you have to pay for the labour cost, overheads and VAT but I managed to buy a chain for 58% over spot 18 months ago from this London jewelers. https://www.minarjewellers.com/

I also bought some gold jewellery in Jaipur, India recently. Proceed with caution in India though, stick to the big names and know what your buying. The spot price of gold in India is always higher due to gold import tax (~10% I think) and it also varies by region. Even accounting for that, the cost of labour is lower so its still a bargain. Haggle hard every time and pay with foreign currency and you'll get a decent discount from the initial price. 

yeh I have been to those asian gold shops in the past but prices are too high.  I got a thick chain from Dubai a few years back for 15% markup and am looking for a 130g Gold curb chain so it will be worth going abroad for the saving.  Im hoping Gold prices fall a bit as currently they are through the roof.  

Thai gold (around 23k) is a great buy as jewelry since the prices are fixed based off spot at all gold jewelers so you can find great deals. Much better than the 22k Asian jewelers in 🇬🇧.

Of course if you wanted them hallmarked in 🇬🇧 they would be marked as 22k even though they are closer to 24k.

Take your better half’s to Thailand next year and hit China town’s gold area.

All explained here - https://thailand505.com/ultimate-guide-to-buying-gold-in-thailand/

Most jewelry at the best prices are 2nd hand and have just been bought and sold as semi-bullion pieces themselves for weddings over the last hundred years.

Wifey has a few nice pieces but she never wears them unless for a very special occasion. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

6 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

Thai gold (around 23k) is a great buy as jewelry since the prices are fixed based off spot at all gold jewelers so you can find great deals. Much better than the 22k Asian jewelers in 🇬🇧.

Of course if you wanted them hallmarked in 🇬🇧 they would be marked as 22k even though they are closer to 24k.

Take your better half’s to Thailand next year and hit China town’s gold area.

All explained here - https://thailand505.com/ultimate-guide-to-buying-gold-in-thailand/

Most jewelry at the best prices are 2nd hand and have just been bought and sold as semi-bullion pieces themselves for weddings over the last hundred years.

Wifey has a few nice pieces but she never wears them unless for a very special occasion. 

I have bought 1 baht Gold bars in China Town in Bangkok, but their Gold jewellery is thrash.  Aesthetically are are not great designs and scratched from being thrown around, as Thai's see it more as an investment rather than how it looks.  Also its hard to find sizes and specific weights.

Archived