• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold confiscated

GoldenPhil

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Melon said:

"Gold coins? Oh no I have none of those, just jewellery here officer." 

"By the way have you met my wife?"

Portrait Of A Woman Wearing A Shirt Of Gold Coins High-Res Stock ...

How to test their gold content on her: Is she lying down or can she manage to stand.

2 hours ago, GoldenPhil said:

An interesting idea here that if governments start confiscating gold , they may focus on coins and bars but NOT jewelry?

What do you think?

Not enough people purchase bullion gold. So governments can change the laws on it however they wish with easy support from the masses. 

He is trying to sell you his stuff. :D

With that said he has a small outlier point, might be worth having a bit of diversification in the stack. I can't see them ever passing laws trying to steal grandma's inherited jewellery but who knows.

If they ever do confiscate coins and bars there would still be use for them outside of the system for trade. Worst case you would have to write them off as an investment for your lifetime, hide them and hand them on to your value educated heir when the time comes.

If gold is ever confiscated anywhere it will be out of vaults rather than door to door. But there are too many other assets that easier to confiscate... such as 10% of real estate, for example. 

58 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

They’d have a tough time finding mine.  I’ve spent months trying to find it myself after the boating accident but I guess it’s lost to the sea forever 🤷‍♂️

This is a 'Blaze' (channel 63 on Talk Talk!) programme screaming to be made.....we've had 'the curse of civil war gold', now we have 'the lost goldhooked stack'.

What drama!

The easiest thing for a government to seize is pensions.  Gold would be a way down the list because it would be hard to achieve confiscation. 

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I heard recently that in Lebanon,  people with bank savings ( maybe life savings ?) were locked out.
The government converted savers cash deposited in strong currencies like the dollar and euro into their failing domestic paper which was almost instantly devalued by around 40-50%.
In other words the population got screwed by the state and this caused riots with people setting fire to banks.

Needs fact checking of course but with the vast expenditure in the world due to CV-19 where is all the money going to come from to pay back ?
If printing money just lowers purchasing power, prices will shoot up and hurt the least well off the most.
Perhaps the governments in richer countries like the USA and the UK will have to bleed the middle classes somehow.
I cannot see the Germans bailing out the Italians and Spanish so it will be interesting to see how the EU handles this crisis when the pandemic is over.
Our contribution into the pot will be sorely missed by the other EU nations for sure.
The super rich will always avoid the taxes because they can.
I think your gold is safe from compulsory purchase but expect some pain elsewhere in due course.
In the story of Robin Hood, the Sheriff of Nottingham still raided the grain stored by the struggling poor peasants.

10 hours ago, GoldenPhil said:

if governments start confiscating gold , they may focus on coins and bars but NOT jewelry?

I was going to upload a picture of my stack on the photo section today. You have put me off.

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

We could of course simply, in reference to another thread on this forum, tell the state that our coins are only worth face value and when they ask why we paid so much, state that it was the postage and packaging costs what turned a £1 coin into a £350 investment...............

22 minutes ago, onlyroadtoheaven said:

I was going to upload a picture of my stack on the photo section today. You have put me off.

Any precious metal I have purchased has been gifted to others or has been lost. 

I keep forgetting to rope down the safety deposit box when I go boating.

2 hours ago, dicker said:

The easiest thing for a government to seize is pensions.  Gold would be a way down the list because it would be hard to achieve confiscation. 

Best

Dicker

I would suspect in a scenario where the government is stealing our gold that pensions are going to be worthless but that being said when western governments have done this before things were dire but not that extreme. 

5 hours ago, KDave said:

He is trying to sell you his stuff. :D

With that said he has a small outlier point, might be worth having a bit of diversification in the stack. I can't see them ever passing laws trying to steal grandma's inherited jewellery but who knows.

Dear @KDave

I cannot tell you how deeply insulted I am that you believe my only motivation for starting this thread is to sell a pair of antique Chester hallmarked 9kt gold cufflinks weighing approx 4 grams. The fact that the current price in the auction is only at spot providing a real bargain opportunity for a savvy buyer has absolutely nothing to do with it. You can even view the items at this link if you doubt my credibility and place a bid in £5 increments.  Hahaha 

35 minutes ago, GoldenPhil said:

On a more serious note I am in contact with a manufacturer of necklaces to see how much they can do 24k necklaces for. 

The way I look after watches I can only assume that a 24K necklace would be more ding than ring in my possession...

57 minutes ago, GoldenPhil said:

Dear @KDave

I cannot tell you how deeply insulted I am that you believe my only motivation for starting this thread is to sell a pair of antique Chester hallmarked 9kt gold cufflinks weighing approx 4 grams. The fact that the current price in the auction is only at spot providing a real bargain opportunity for a savvy buyer has absolutely nothing to do with it. You can even view the items at this link if you doubt my credibility and place a bid in £5 increments.  Hahaha 

I should expect no less with you learning all the tricks from "I have a gold and silver company" Mike Maloney ;) 

He makes a video talking about the virtues of gold jewellery, "just so happens I sell 22ct jewellery". :P

9 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

The way I look after watches I can only assume that a 24K necklace would be more ding than ring in my possession...

My wife has a 24k ring. It's as soft as chocolate on a summers day. The necklaces wouldn't be for use just to keep away from the government gold snatchers lol

Archived