• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns vs 24ct gold

CarlosArt

Hi, new to all things shiny. I have a little silver and a 1/10 oz gold britannia. Personally, I think gold will do better over time and would like to buy more...I'm interested in peoples preferences for either 24ct coins/bars or sovereigns? I'd like to hear pros and cons please. Thanks in advance.

18 minutes ago, CarlMilesArt said:

Hi, new to all things shiny. I have a little silver and a 1/10 oz gold britannia. Personally, I think gold will do better over time and would like to buy more...I'm interested in peoples preferences for either 24ct coins/bars or sovereigns? I'd like to hear pros and cons please. Thanks in advance.

Hi Carl.

I prefer 24k coins just because of the colour, that’s about it. They are so shiny!!! Proper treasure!!

Modern sovereigns are mixed with copper so have that rose gold look whereas older Sovs were mixed with something else, maybe silver, so they retain more of the original “gold” colour I feel.

I just bought a few 1 oz Gold Britannia’s because a) the premium over slot is lower due to the size and b) I wanted more 24k to look at.

I believe Sovs are more liquid to sell on than 1/10 Brits and you’d lose less premium selling Sovs eventually.

Maybe it depends on what you want to stack Vs what you want to collect or keep for looking at?? Some always look for the cheapest “fine gold content” for stacking.

Just my thoughts!

All the best

MS

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Hello!

From what I've learned when selling for the bullion value to say a dealer, you'll get the bullion value back at or close to spot whether .999/.9999 or .900/.916/.800 etc. So an Oz of .999 will get you 31.11 grams worth, a full sovereign will get you 7.33 worth or thereabouts. Buying wise it seems the premiums are lower on sovereigns when compared to .999/.9999 of similar weights. That said it will depend on the sovereign, brand new or nearly new sovereigns can be a cheaper buy than older ones as the older ones can gain collectable value. Not a general thing though and will depend on the piece. It will also depend on the purer gold when buying as well, Brittania's generally carry a lower premium than a lot of other pieces by the looks of things. The trading area on here is pretty awesome, well worth the premium membership charge, and the advice on the forum has been absolutely ace for me, whether passively from reading other peoples posts or when having my own answered.

If you buy some more silver you may be surprised at how quickly that escalates, whether you think it a good investment or not...😁

Thanks to all who have commented so far. Really helpful insight and has helped shape my thoughts going forward. Initially, I thought you cant beat gold in its purest format. However, I contradict myself as I quite like junk silver and like other aspects, there is always a market for it. So, I'll do some research on sovereigns and possibly start saving with a purchase in mind. My budget is small, so wont be accumulating many any time soon, although, I agree, with silver certainly, the stack soon builds. 

As for premium membership, very tempted and value this as a resource so I should really start supporting it with my money and not just my words.

Thank you 👍

You say your budget is small therefore it is unlikely you will be able to afford any 999 gold coins that come with a small premium over their melt value. 1 oz coins fall into this category but are obviously expensive. Generally fractional 999 coins carry too much premium, therefore sovereigns stand out as your best bet. They are usually the answer to every question😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Thank you. Yes, conscious of overpaying on premiums, which is what prompted my thoughts.

Always good to spread what you accumulate I think, so I shall broaden what I accumulate.  As you say half sovereigns would be a good start and a good bet.

Thank you all 👍

As in everything... I believe in mixing and balancing. 

Let me clarify : with food you would not only go out and have a 3 star michelin dinning every single meal. Or it wouldn’t be wise to go and only have fast food. You mix and match. One home made meal, one fast food, and perhaps once in a long time will you indulge yourself in a fabulous experience. The premiums on each menu is different, the amount of food you eat, the quality of them etc... 

now this brings me back to gold and silver. 
i believe in a wide exit strategy... and while I am playing, enjoying the ride. So I mix and match. Some pure beast gold, some nice silver, some proof sovs...some small gold from here and there... I have bullion, I have proof, I’m looking for constitutional silver ... have some poured silver to enjoy daily ... 

so back to your question, go for what you like and enjoy it will balance each other in your mistakes. 

well those are my two cents. 

Thank you all, too many points to respond too individually and all valid. I agree, a good spread and items you take enjoyment from are key. It's unlikely I'll realise any of these investments, more likely I'll enjoy possessing them and pass them onto my children. 

However, would like the option of cashing in if needed, so clearly a consideration. Silver I can accumulate quickly but gold very slow. Therefore, really key where I put my money. 

Looking forward to my next purchase with interest.  

57 minutes ago, StackerCollector said:

I like to buy from dealers, like Chards, that list on their website the premium for each gold coin. Makes it easy to pick the best deals.

Baird & Co is good too, some great deals on the premiums when considering the current climate. From order to shipped in a couple of days too which is great considering the delay warning on the site.

Thanks all. I did look at Chards the other day, having not viewed it before. Liked what I saw, so will follow and signed up to newsletter. 

Once again, thank you to all who responded, too many points to address and acknowledge individually, but warm thanks to all. Stay well.

On 02/04/2020 at 03:53, SilverPirate007 said:

I like sovs, but I also love American gold coins which are going to be what I am planning to stack moving forward. Thus far I have bought as close to spot as possible so have around 5 sovs and a 1/4 britannia.

if I can suggest looking south of the border, you can find some good deals on fractional Mexican gold. The 5 pesos coin has been my go-to when looking for a budget-friendly gold purchase, since it's approximately equivalent to a half sovereign. And they can often be had for close to spot.

10 minutes ago, RacerCool said:

if I can suggest looking south of the border, you can find some good deals on fractional Mexican gold. The 5 pesos coin has been my go-to when looking for a budget-friendly gold purchase, since it's approximately equivalent to a half sovereign. And they can often be had for close to spot.

Thank you, where do you buy from?

15 minutes ago, SilverPirate007 said:

Thank you, where do you buy from?

I buy them either at a local store or on eBay. Typically on eBay, though, since I build up ebay bucks while buying there. And also "special buy" deals can sometimes be found there which can give even better bargains.

4 minutes ago, Tape said:

I can't believe people still actually buy gold from eBay.

That's where I've been buying almost all of my gold and silver for quite a while now. The best deals can be found there if you look around and are patient. 

2 minutes ago, RacerCool said:

That's where I've been buying almost all of my gold and silver for quite a while now. The best deals can be found there if you look around and are patient. 

RC, do you verify the gold you received from eBay? I've heard so many horror stories from eBay buyers.

Archived