• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is your favourite gold sovereign and why?

Foster88

5 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I've never really liked that design; the head especially is poor, but the garter is classy. Other than it being iconic for being the first modern sovereign, I'm not a fan.

Steve. If it's good heads your looking for, here's one. 

GoodHead.jpg

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

This is a difficult one and I'm torn between the YH shields and the Sydney mint sovs, but actually my fave is the George IV laurel head.

I do like the later George IV bare head, the mad hair and he seems to have slimmed in older age.

3 hours ago, RacerCool said:

As a sov noob, I didn't know that this difference existed. I've always favored the young Vic, with the George and Dragon back. But if such a combo exists, then the Aussie young Vic will find it's way into the stack.

No, I'm afraid that combination does not exist.  The reverse is rather plain.

1867AusF.png

20 minutes ago, Martlet said:

I do like the later George IV bare head, the mad hair and he seems to have slimmed in older age.

From what I've read, Pistrucci was constantly at odds with his benefactors. He insisted in doing his own work on effigies of the royalty and refused to base his work from other artists renditions that the royalties preferred (a more flattering version of their likeness).

10 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

No, I'm afraid that combination does not exist.  The reverse is rather plain.

1867AusF.png

:(  Oh well.  I might plan to get one anyway, since it's the best looking of the young Vics.  (as far as I've seen)  

Thanks for the heads-up.

20 hours ago, 1817Karl said:

Some great Sovereigns, but unfortunately you're all wrong, the best and my favourite Sovereign is without doubt the rather beautiful and iconic 1817 George III full Gold Sovereign... The problem is i don't have one!

Kind of like this one...even though regrettably he is showing his age!B91F883A-2B68-410A-B3E2-8975EFCEB590.thumb.jpeg.78f11ac1da1acd6463025ea95eec3e91.jpegA2B32103-5699-4F14-83FD-F619A8AAAA40.thumb.jpeg.97b06b73136831be7be2d283ea315390.jpeg

2 hours ago, CadmiumGreen said:

Kind of like this one...even though regrettably he is showing his age!B91F883A-2B68-410A-B3E2-8975EFCEB590.thumb.jpeg.78f11ac1da1acd6463025ea95eec3e91.jpegA2B32103-5699-4F14-83FD-F619A8AAAA40.thumb.jpeg.97b06b73136831be7be2d283ea315390.jpeg

Yes, looks like he's been around the block a few times... But still very nice!

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

Archived