• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is your favourite gold sovereign and why?

Foster88

Hello all, 

As a new (ish) gold sovereign collector I thought I’d start a new topic for everyone. 

What is your favourite sovereign and why? Discuss full and half sovereigns, dates, mintage figures, etc.

What is your favourite sovereign in your collection and why?

Is it a rare date?

Is there a sovereign with a mint error in your collection (known or unknown)?

Discuss your favourites. :) 

2 hours ago, Notafront4adragon said:

But I do love shieldbacks too, my favourite coin I own is the 2002 design, I did have 2005 but personally found the design odd. At the moment I covet the 2017 with the original rim, but at those prices I'm good. 

I solved this problem by going for half sovereign. The size still shows off all the detail imo, unlike the tiny 1/4 sovs.

I'm a fan of the Pistrucci design, with young Vic head.

All of them...the good, the bad & the ugly... but my preference is the Gillick First Portrait of Her Majesty and my favourite Reverse is the 2005 Timothy Noad design...but also the James Butler Obverse and the Jody Clark 2017 Reverse and the Arnold Machin Obverse as well as the 1937 Humphrey Paget Portrait....in fact, come to think about it, I like them all...the good the bad & the ugly 😉

2009 Proof Sovereign 5-Coin Set 

The collection of 2009 consists of companion coins that each bear Pistrucci's dynamic masterpiece in all its original glory yet show fascinating idiosyncrasies that make them entirely individual. It also, for the first time, includes a quarter-sovereign. 
In the hands of different engravers during its long history, Pistrucci's classic has been adjusted in minor ways many times more - the streamer from St George's helmet has come and gone while other elements of the design have been revised. Fortunately, the original coinage tools have been preserved. 
They were entrusted to the Royal Mint Engraving Team who, for the £5, the double-sovereign and the sovereigns of 2009, manufactured the coinage dies directly from Pistrucci's originals. For the half-sovereign, tools used to produce the coins of 1893 were needed since not until that year did Pistrucci's St George and the dragon at last appear on its reverse. This is the first time that these tools have been used directly in the modern production process.

Of the ones I have - the 2005 design because I won it as first prize in a 10km race.

Of the ones I don't have - the 1989 design.

I do have a 2017 BU Quintuple though, which is absolutely stunning and definitely my favourite if we're counting all denominations of sovereign 😀

10 hours ago, Zhorro said:

I like the Australian head sovereigns - especially when they are in good condition as this brings out the intricacies of the design.

1867best.png

As a sov noob, I didn't know that this difference existed. I've always favored the young Vic, with the George and Dragon back. But if such a combo exists, then the Aussie young Vic will find it's way into the stack.

If we are talking about pie in the sky sovereigns that we would love to own, mine would be the 1820 pattern 5 sovereign coin

image.jpeg.0443da20001b3342fec7aa6c54e06c6a.jpeg

St George and the dragon remind you of the 2009 5 Sovereign?

Some great Sovereigns, but unfortunately you're all wrong, the best and my favourite Sovereign is without doubt the rather beautiful and iconic 1817 George III full Gold Sovereign... The problem is i don't have one!

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

16 minutes ago, 1817Karl said:

Some great Sovereigns, but unfortunately you're all wrong, the best and my favourite Sovereign is without doubt the rather beautiful and iconic 1817 George III full Gold Sovereign... The problem is i don't have one!

I've never really liked that design; the head especially is poor, but the garter is classy. Other than it being iconic for being the first modern sovereign, I'm not a fan.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived