• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Should Replicas be stopped on eBay ?

Pete

Sorry guys but fakes are bad news and should be stopped.
Say you have a small safe full of fakes and you fall off the perch.
Your spouse or children open the safe and think they have a stack of silver which they intend to sell to pay for either a wild party or for funeral expenses.
They check your computer and discover this forum with your avatar and list the coins in batches not knowing they are fakes because they look genuine.
There are not any markings to distinguish them from the real thing - an innocent mistake on their part.
We stackers, trusting this site ( or in future some other trading forum ) buy these fakes and don't test them because we trust the seller, then we mix them up with our genuine coins.
Years down the road we sell some and an astute buyer spots a fake .... work it out !!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess anyone with £160k of cash sitting around would have been of great interest to HMRC.  Wouldn't you put it in a bank rather than buying a cheap costco safe that probably was rated at £10k max?

Could this be a way to dodge the taxman or not share it out?  "It's been stolen just after I put it in this cheap safe honest"

• 2 weeks later...

Also there a tons of mislabeled coins

I even messaged this buyer and told him are you sure about this because the coin holder itself says just PR 67. He said that the grading company made an error. I said "Wow that's an interesting story."

The coin is worth $75 max

og97jHf.jpg

There is a regular seller from Vietnam selling plated, mainly Australian, bullion, sold one yesterday for [3 hours before end] high bid of £15, real dangerous range don't sell formuch more, alarming, as they are described as plated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HelpingHands said:

Kinda gives it away if you're familiar with the wording they use to market fakes and I quote "non magnetic" anyone reading this watch out for those two words.

2 hours ago, matrawr said:

Kinda gives it away if you're familiar with the wording they use to market fakes and I quote "non magnetic" anyone reading this watch out for those two words.

It's not that complicated; it says they are replicas in the title. Therefore not trying to misrepresent them as genuine.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Seller is from Leicester I see where all things from there at the moment are golden, err silver I mean.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

11 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

It's not that complicated; it says they are replicas in the title. Therefore not trying to misrepresent them as genuine.

Sorry Steve I can't see the word fake unless facsimiles is another word they use?

The word "fake" is no different to the word "copy", "facsimile" or "replica".

I have no sympathy for anyone who buys fakes (and yes I include myself in that. I got burned once myself but the seller refunded me immediately and paid my postage costs)

The info on how to spot fakes, dodgy sellers and hacked accounts are readily available. You will never stop chancers trying to do a con, but you can stop yourself being the one who is conned.

Personally I wouldn't waste any time trying to stop these sellers. If the mints themselves can't be arsed to put pressure on Ebay, then you are peeing in the wind thinking you are going to make a difference.

The word "fake" is no different to the word "copy", "facsimile" or "replica".

I have no sympathy for anyone who buys fakes (and yes I include myself in that. I got burned once myself but the seller refunded me immediately and paid my postage costs)

The info on how to spot fakes, dodgy sellers and hacked accounts are readily available. You will never stop chancers trying to do a con, but you can stop yourself being the one who is conned.

Personally I wouldn't waste any time trying to stop these sellers. If the mints themselves can't be arsed to put pressure on Ebay, then you are peeing in the wind thinking you are going to make a difference.

This is a rare occasion when I agree with you 100%.

Stacker since 2013

What are the chinese goverment doing about the near perfect fakes of our gold and silver coins flooding the market..makes me avoid any chinese coins for a start..how would they react if some western  counterfeiter flooded china with forged yens in the billions

Archived