• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Should Replicas be stopped on eBay ?

Pete

Somewhere buried in the small print eBay's written policy states that sellers cannot list counterfeit products.

As we all know this practice happens snd some of us regularly report items and sellers to eBay, the fact that these items and sellers continue to list their products and few are ever removed, I assume therefore that eBay has to have some responsibility.  A well versed legally trained stacker might be prepared to raise this. David & Goliath comes to mind but the little guy can win if he/she is right .... right ?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a seller from Vietnam was selling fake kooks, now he's selling fake Perth 'goats', just systematically reporting them, which I think is the way to go, the Chinese seem to be selling less Pandas but there is one guy selling many lots of older US dollars in lots of 5, the coins look exactly the same with little variation in wear and tarnishing. Whats surprising is a lot of these sellers have poor feedback scores but people continue to buy, baffling!

I've not seen a fake with the security lines on before.  Its a shame the rest of the coin is totally wrong. [emoji3]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-Canada-Maple-Leaf-Silver-Bullion-Coin-/141860552606?hash=item21078c3f9e:g:mLkAAOSwnipWbm3H

Doesn't take them long does it.

Rubbish replica, but enough to fool some I'd imagine.

Stacker since 2013

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/12/2015 at 10:36, Danny-boy said:

What lines are you referring to,this guy sells a lot of fakes, a wide ranging selection as well some sell for just a couple/few pounds less than the real thing!

What lines are you referring to,this guy sells a lot of fakes, a wide ranging selection as well some sell for just a couple/few pounds less than the real thing!

I don't think I mentioned lines.

I think whoever said it refers to the radial lines, apparently an anti-counterfeit measure.

Stacker since 2013

I am fairly pro-active in reporting fakes on eBay. I focus on the items I own personally like pamp bars and a few others. I always report them to pamp as I consider it to be in the interest of my investment to report them. Pamp have always thanked me and made complaints to eBay regarding the items I notify them of.

20 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

I've received a letter from trading standards to say that my complaint against ebay has been forwarded to the trading standards office for the area ebayuk are located.

Who knows.  IMO The most likely outcome will be my ebay account being suspended.

This sounds good. Glad to hear they are progressing the complaint. 

On 9 January 2016 at 16:47, HelpingHands said:

I've received a letter from trading standards to say that my complaint against ebay has been forwarded to the trading standards office for the area ebayuk are located.

Who knows.  IMO The most likely outcome will be my ebay account being suspended.

If they did that for whistle blowing then they can cancel my account as well.

Well done for fighting the cause - long live the stackers revolution

:ph34r:

Here is the response from ebay re fake 1oz kook item number 272088679231 I reported yesterday.

It is still there, ebay bang on about I can contact the 3rd party if I think it breaches their intellectual rights Blah Blah Blah..

Ebay still do not give a damn about fakes

ltCurve.gif

RE: Replica and Counterfeit Items SR# 1-63931383261

rtCurve.gif

Hello -------,

Thank you for your email. My name is Vineet and I’ll assist you with your report about the 'coin' listing (item no. 272088679231) that you suspect to be in breach of our policy.

Let me assure you that it's our top priority to ensure eBay remains a safe and reputable place to shop. In order to achieve this, we work closely with the members of our community as well as trading standards and we always investigate any reports of members or items that break our rules very carefully.

------- we’ve reviewed the item and would like to inform you that appropriate action has been taken on the listing. Sometimes the action taken on an account are not visible to other members, rest assured our action ranges from formal warning, account restriction to indefinite suspension.

If you've purchased this item and paid for it, you can choose to reverse the payment or contact the seller for a refund by opening a case. If you have already received the item you have the option of accepting it or returning it to the seller. If you didn't receive the item (or it wasn't as described in the listing), please let us know by opening a case in our Resolution centre here: http://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/home

-------, in addition to reporting the listings to us, if you believe the sale of this item or any item on eBay breaches the intellectual property rights of a third party ('rights owner'), you can contact the relevant rights owner and inform them of the listing(s). Rights owners can request the removal of listings that infringe their intellectual property rights through eBay's Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Programme. For more information about how eBay works with Rights Owners please visit:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/tp/programs-vero-ov.html

I hope this information helps you decide how to proceed in this situation. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Vineet J.

eBay Trust & Safety

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Typical boiler plate response I have myself seen when I too reported fake coins.

I went further and telephoned them once in frustration to report a repeat seller and they more or less read back a similar script.

Let's be honest they must get so many callers on so many topics they have to respond like robots.

Trading standards may be the way to go so don't give up trying but they have so many fake products to deal with, a few coins will likely remain at the bottom of their in-tray.

At least this seller is honest but I don't agree that fakes should be permitted to be sold on eBay at any price.

16 China Panda Silver Plated Coins and 3 Australian Kangaroo silver Plated coins

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-China-Panda-Silver-Plated-Coins-and-3-Australian-Kangaroo-silver-Plated-coins-/252246546104?hash=item3abb10d6b8:g:2TIAAOSwJkJWk9wd

Most of the fakes/replicas say on them plated or clad. it really is just reading the descriptions properly. the amount there are on eBay is ridiculous, but if eBay / the mints don't care there's nothing we can do.

I'm surprised the person is selling them as it just leads to someone else flogging them off as real afterwards

I don't know what is worse - the fake plated silver coins sold on eBay or the £20 / £50 / £100 commemorative "legal tender" silver coins produced by the Royal Mint having seen the posts on other threads. Both are set to deceive through loopholes that need closing.

I think there is a place for these fakes and that is in your safe.I heard this story today a family of a farmer emptied the family home and found £160k in cash in the house including out of date fivers

The eldest son bought a safe from Costco and put the cash in it ready for all the family to get together and have a divvy up. A new girlfriend in the family they think has blabbed down the pub.Yes you guessed it they got robbed took the lot.

The thief/thieves cut a circle in the glass next to the window handle and got in that way, then dragged the safe to a working position and cut the workings off the front with a small hand held disc cutter,took the cash and walked out the front door.    

First rule of Silver/gold club, in this case cash club, DON'T TALK CASH CLUB.

Second rule. SPLIT THE STACK UP.

Third rule and this is why i used this thread, HAVE A DUMMY SAFE/STACK, or a small stack you can handle loosing, and the main hoard/hoards are dotted about safe.

If you can get these fakes cheap enough and put some cash with it,it might be a cheaper option as protection in the long run.

Advice for any newbies reading this .Please don't tell a sole what you have. Apart from one trusted family member in case of your demise,

Poor family £160 k thieving scumbags.

Fakes have a place but must be clearly advertised as such.

Edit; OMG and as i just did this i am watching the chase and a Scotsman called Stuart just said he collects coins and if he wins he will spend the money on a nice Sovereign coin. Now the whole of the U.K. that watched it knows, I mean what the ........   

Archived