• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sherlock Holmes 🕵️‍♀️

TheProspector

Son woke me up at 05:58 checked TSF went on the RM @ 06:01 ordered what I wanted.

Easy, none of this queuing malarkey.  Now Coffee. 

If you get in early does that mean you will get a lower numbered COA? I assume this is random?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep no trouble ordering either. Was dreading it taking for ever. Order went through at 6.01 so cant complain at the process at all. Hopefully it will come out at a low number but who knows. Just happy I got one to be fair. Big fan of the Holmes and piedforts in general but never had one before. I'm sure this will be first of many now. I know there over priced for what they are but this just goes back to what I say about buying what I love. 😜 Enjoy ur day guys 👍

Completely forgot about this, so happy it went on sale when I was up anyway!

Got a couple of silver proofs and a piedfort

Added 0 minutes later...

Remember your cashback for 7% off as well!

I’m not too keen of this design, probably why I couldn’t make my mind up on the Gold, despite its very low 400 mintage- so I left it- by 0615 ish it went from ‘In Stock’ to ‘Awaiting Stock’. I would urge people to buy this one- I haven’t so it’s bound to do extremely well both short and long term 😂

Because of the cryptic launch, I don’t think the Silver and Silver Piedfort will sell out too quickly despite reasonably low mintages of 6000 & 2500 respectively. 

6 minutes ago, terakris said:

Not as popular as some as no waiting system or anything. Maybe be gone by the end of the day but not an instant sellout this time.

I thought this method was a response to avoid the chaos of the last few releases and allow those who had signed up for notifications to have a chance at ordering what they want before the hype-train begins.

i maybe wrong...

4 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

This is what it says on my email order:

"Thank you for ordering from the Royal Mint. Your order is subject to availability."

Pretty standard- it covers them and the mint can cancel your order as per their t&c’s.  

No queuing system, on sale for two hours and the 400 gold coins are still only 70% sold? Yep, a flop.

To be fair, probably just everyone waking up to the fact that most of the releases aren't going on to perform like the Peter Rabbit and Snowman coins.

A pretty uninspiring design too.

I think it's too early to say it's a flop.. since the early crazes were mostly fueled by young people I think... but this Sherlock Holmes coin would have a much wider appeal among the collector community, and it might be slow at first, but I think this one will be a success in the end... just wait and see. Lots of Sherlock Holmes fans, mostly among adults. They're not going to queue up at 6am for a coin, but they'll buy it without thinking twice when they come across it. Mintages are low enough... can't go wrong with this one.

Additionally, the Americans are still asleep. And they would also have a strong interest perhaps... whereas Americans don't care about a Snowman or a Peter Rabbit.

I think the problem with this one is that there is so much Holmes memorabilia out there, that the market is already swamped. Secondary market should see reduced prices down the line.

26 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

I think it's too early to say it's a flop..

I agree with this statement...I see you have 'bought some' and I wish you luck with the investments you have made.  This Sherlock coin might well go on to do well- who knows, but time will tell.  Like all investments there is the potential risk of losing a lot of cash, or perhaps making a bit, it's a gamble.  

I remember reading an article, I think on the Chards 'old' website but unfortunately, I can't provide a link to it, despite my best efforts to search for it, but it related to the release in 1989 of the Sovereign.  The article cited that at the time, this now highly sought after Sovereign was not initially popular and the Royal Mint found it very difficult to sell them and were only eventually sold out after being discounted by them and the dealers.    

There has been much criticism of these 50p releases and there's many, many differing viewpoints- particularly if there is high demand for them, this then prompts page upon page of commentary here on the Forum.  

One aspect of the commentary which always makes me smile is the debate surrounding 'flippers' of the recent 'popular' Royal Mint releases. I have refrained from putting forward my viewpoint before, as 'flipping' one of these 50p's is often a tetchy and emotive subject, but given this Sherlock 50p is a somewhat low key release and given there appears to be no hype, even here on the Forum which is a captive audience of people with plenty of experience and exposure to investing in PM's- I feel comfortable making this point in the form of two questions:

Are we not all eventual flippers (all of us, bar none. We can't take these coins with us upon our demise!)?  

And does it matter if someone only holds on to an investment for a minimal amount of time and then quickly flipping for profit?

My view is that its absolutely fine to flip soon after purchase, or similarly keep for infinitum, each to their own- people who flip (or to reframe this, people who liquidate their investment) have gambled with their hard earned cash and being exposed to the risk associated with the gamble they have made- best of luck to them.   

Statements like 'it's a flop' simply because they have not sold out within an hour or so might well prove to be inaccurate, as per the 1989 Sovereign scenario cited above.

Anyone else have a view?  

The snowman took all day to sell out didn't it?

The Sherlock coin has been selling well when split from the 2019 coin pack. About £15-20 each, so there is some demand for it. I like the design as well - you can tell what it is straight away, nice picture of sherly and the names of the books to pad the space out.

Can't see this one being a winner particularly in silver, ok topic but bland design, mintage seems on the higher end for that combo. 

Maybe in gold it's ok, have my finger off the pulse a bit with pms in the past year, not sure how widely collected gold 50ps are. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, terakris said:

@h103efa just pointed out to me that the gold is now "awaiting stock" with a delivery mid june, so maybe thats why its not an instant sellout as the lack of a quick flip has put them off.

At 6am it said delivery in 3-5 working days so a few may appear on ebay soon.

The payment has been taken from my card straight away.

Archived