• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Grading costs

NRSovereign

15 hours ago, NRSovereign said:

What sort of prices would it cost to grade one full sovereign would you say?

what are the costs involved ?

any help greatly appreciated 

It would depend on whether the coin falls into 'Modern' or not, coins from beyond their cut-off date cost more.

14 hours ago, terakris said:

Yeah ballpark around £30 or so.

I do it via Heritage London for less than £20 a coin (including postage both ways to them). That's for 4+ modern coins :) For just one coin yes maybe you're looking at more like £30.

44 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I do it direct via Heritage London for less than £20 a coin (including postage both ways). That's for 4+ modern coins :) For just one coin yes maybe you're looking at more like £30.

I think thats about what i paid too. Ive got £17/18 in my head without checking my paperwork.

39 minutes ago, kimchi said:

It would depend on whether the coin falls into 'Modern' or not, coins from beyond their cut-off date cost more.

I do it direct via Heritage London for less than £20 a coin (including postage both ways). That's for 4+ modern coins :) For just one coin yes maybe you're looking at more like £30.

U just reminded me u are still alive 

got u got graded coins for Christmas but it’s a bit expensive grading by NGC ,9 pound a slab 

remind me to send u the slab 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

13 hours ago, kimchi said:

direct eh? that's cheap!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I knew what you meant:)

Cheers, I wasn't sure, plus it gave me a chance to make it less ambiguous for others :)

<edit> Also to add, with Heritage:

1) They need to be given clear instructions on what services you require for the form in my experience (special labels, capsule returns etc) - not hard to do and there is a grading guide topic on here.

2) They aren't regular so you will likely miss 'First Releases' or 'Early Releases' labels which apparently are very popular in the US so might add value to certain coins if there is a US market or you expect one might grow in the future. You would have to submit yourself directly or use the group grading which incur additional postage and packaging to and from the UK, and very possibly exchange rate, costs.

While we are talking grading costs from the Uk - does anyone have a recommendation for how to use PCGS? 

I see either that you submit via London Coins Co or direct to the Paris office (but you have to become a member for €69). Anyone gone with London Coins (good / bad ? ). 

Looks like about £60 each for London Coins for gold over £300...with return postage @£30. 

Only thinking about it for valuable sovereigns, so maybe worth it? Anyone tried sending to Paris ...as the fine print seems to say that they dont accept orders shipped via Post Office. Not sure how else to ship to France ...😉

any advice welcome. 

Lindeman 

@Lindeman How many and are they old or modern (1960+)?

London Coin Co work from the US tier structure which has different tiers to that for Paris.

@morezone - just two coins, Victorian era gold....

Had not realized that difference.

Have you tried either service? I lalso now read that the Paris office will be at Coinex in London this week ans you can drop off there, if you are a Collector (ie have paid €69 for the honour).  

Simpler to send to Numistacker , but i believe PCGS are good for older gold coins.  

3 minutes ago, Lindeman said:

@morezone - just two coins, Victorian era gold....

Had not realized that difference.

Have you tried either service? I lalso now read that the Paris office will be at Coinex in London this week ans you can drop off there, if you are a Collector (ie have paid €69 for the honour).  

Simpler to send to Numistacker , but i believe PCGS are good for older gold coins.  

I haven't used neither service.  Victoria era would fall under the same tier for both methods.  If it were I that was submitting I'd visit one of the coin shows and speak to some dealers who accept submissions and see how much they charge.  LCC is making £28 minus their shipping costs when submitting to the US and £12 if going through Paris.  Depending on where other dealers submit to they may be able to offer better pricing than LCC and I'm sure they won't charge £30 for return shipping via Special Delivery.  Depending on what pricing you get back, it would be cheaper to go via LLC than paying for membership.  If you plan on submitting coins in the future it might be worth the membership if you are close to one of the coin shows where PCGS accept submissions.  Sending to Paris is an option but you have to use a courier (DHL/Fedex/UPS) which can be quite expensive.

Thanks for the valuable advice @morezone. I have never been to any of the coin fairs ....so it may be worth it to talk with some dealers. I have only graded through NGC so far (via @Numistacker) so I would have to deal with the tricky business of deciding what goes to NGC and what to PCGS if i was a member.😃

Archived