• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns. Time to get some gold

simon13

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just went ahead and ordered a 1980 proof sov from Atkinsons. £219.99 delivered.

That is a good price. They are selling plenty of their standard sovs for that sort of price and even proof half sovs at that sort of price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Queen-Elizabeth-II-GOLDEN-JUBILEE-SHIELD-Gold-Full-Sovereign-/261733314312?pt=UK_Coins_BritishComm_RL&hash=item3cf0856f08

Why is someone paying over £300 for a bullion 2002 sovereign

Sure it has a fantastic certificate from pineapple direct and a case that looks like a dog chewed it..

But still it seems a lot.  

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Queen-Elizabeth-II-GOLDEN-JUBILEE-SHIELD-Gold-Full-Sovereign-/261733314312?pt=UK_Coins_BritishComm_RL&hash=item3cf0856f08

Why is someone paying over £300 for a bullion 2002 sovereign

Sure it has a fantastic certificate from pineapple direct and a case that looks like a dog chewed it..

But still it seems a lot.  

Yes I was watching that one also, but only because I have a proof one, paid £210 from eBay so should fetch quite a premium over the price I paid.

Yes I was watching that one also, but only because I have a proof one, paid £210 from eBay so should fetch quite a premium over the price I paid.

A full proof with box and coa?

I paid £350 for mine. 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Bullion by post must be desperate as they have a big Sale on.

Even with the discounts they are bloody expensive. 5 % off a gold French 20F coin, and even if you take off say £6.50 equivalent for postage, it's still 5% over spot.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/world-coins/french-francs/20-franc-french-gold-coin/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1911-22ct-Gold-Quarter-Sovereign-1-97-grams-/291366338017?

Selling a 1/4 sovereign from 1911.. the first 1/4 sov was 2009  :ph34r:

I sent them a friendly message just to let them know, I'm sure (at least I hope) it was an honest mistake

I wonder if it's real gold? 

It's a shame then that the pawnbrokers shop that is selling the coin, can't tell the difference between real and fake gold. Perhaps we should all head down to Kingston upon Thames with all our gold plated and fake stuff, and off load it all. Not surprised the original customer didn't redeem the coin. He was probably laughing all the way down to the wine bar after palming that coin off on them

just looked and they have ended it

Ended: 27 Jan, 2015 17:11:53 GMT

So they have been pretty swift taking it off

It does look very very dodgy - i would expect chocolate in the middle as it looks like the wrapper is coming off

It's a shame then that the pawnbrokers shop that is selling the coin, can't tell the difference between real and fake gold. Perhaps we should all head down to Kingston upon Thames with all our gold plated and fake stuff, and off load it all. Not surprised the original customer didn't redeem to the coin. He was probably laughing all the way down to the wine bar after palming that coin off on them

Noticed the listing has been removed.

Never been inside a pawnbroker shop but if you hand over goods for cash do you not need some form of ID ?

If the pawnbroker has been duped - maybe send in the 'heavies' to chase refund or break a few bones ?

Noticed the listing has been removed.

Never been inside a pawnbroker shop but if you hand over goods for cash do you not need some form of ID ?

If the pawnbroker has been duped - maybe send in the 'heavies' to chase refund or break a few bones ?

Legally, the pawnbroker cant go chasing after someone after they have bought the item or loaned against the item. It is the pawnbroker, not the customer who decides on the value of an item. and it is the pawnbroker's responsibility, not the customers to decided if an item has worth or not. Someone at the shop will get a right rollicking and the broker themselves will have to swallow the loss. That is something that does happen every now and then, but they hate it when they make a mistake and lose money because of it. 

Whoever pledged the item would have had to shown ID - yes

But it is up to the pawnbroker to use their due diligence to check the item being pledged are the real mccoy.  

After all it is them shelling out the cash and taking the risk

Pawning broking, a regulated financial market via the consumer credit act 1974 the days of heavies and broken bones are part of the the fictional world of films and soap operas.  Think theyll just take the hit on this as the cost of doing business

It probably a part time shop hand Saturday Sarah who has taken the 1/4 sov in error, i couldn't expect a tried and tested pawnborker would fall for that one.

In closing, after many years thinking, there may be finally a use for all that plated toot on eBay ;)  :rolleyes:   :ph34r:   :o  :huh:

It probably a part time shop hand Saturday Sarah who has taken the 1/4 sov in error, i couldn't expect a tried and tested pawnborker would fall for that one.

What do pawnbrokers generally do test wise to see if something is real gold?

Fisch gauage ? cheaper coin-gauge ?  quickest

Old fashioned, As the size of a sovereign is set parameter

Precision Scales : Weight 

Vernier Caliper Gauge : Diameter

Vernier Caliper Gauge: Thickness

& a fine eye for details of the coin itself 

Archived