• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns. Time to get some gold

simon13

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost certain there's a perth mintmark there, in ex-jewellry condition, worth bullion.

There are only about 12 examples of the 1917 London known to exist, it would be worth many thousands.

What mint mark is on the london mint i am a novice.

2012 proof sovereign, £300 without the box or coa

Good deal yay or nay? 

Seems pretty good.. 

OK, depends whether you value the box and COA.

Also whether you are bothered about how much it will affect the re-sale value.

A fully kitted out one is worth £450 +

Where? - Don't want it myself, I have a boxed one and one without, I think.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On proof sovs, do they do them with different mint marks or they all British?

All the modern ones are British, as are almost all of the older ones. I can't think of a branch mint proof off the top of my head.

OK, depends whether you value the box and COA.

Also whether you are bothered about how much it will affect the re-sale value.

A fully kitted out one is worth £450 +

Where? - Don't want it myself, I have a boxed one and one without, I think.

BullionByPost have it on Ebay for £337 but I'm sure if you ring them up and offer them £300 they would probably do a deal

I was thinking about going for it but when I think would I rather have another shield victoria instead.. the shield always wins. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

2012 proof sovereign, £300 without the box or coa

Good deal yay or nay? 

Seems pretty good.. 

Unless you are desperate to buy this coin I would say for a standard year in FDC condition including box and COA you should not pay more than 20% above spot.

I bought proofs and boxed proof sets for earlier years at spot plus (less than) 10%.

Personally for this sale I would say the price is well over the top.

It's a unique design year and fairly low mintage

They sell for £400+ with the coa and box

I think for £300 it's a reasonable price and your money would be safe in it. 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I think 300 is a good price and you will get your money back from someone even after dealing costs.

I have not bought one yet because my preference is for Britannias and Libertads. However, you only have to look at the price of the 1989 proof to realize that special designs can be worth buying and holding onto.

Unless you are desperate to buy this coin I would say for a standard year in FDC condition including box and COA you should not pay more than 20% above spot.

I bought proofs and boxed proof sets for earlier years at spot plus (less than) 10%.

yes you can get deals such as you say on standard years but they are not the usual scenario, and not available all the time to everyone who wants them.

Also, as it's already been pointed out, the 2012 is not a "standard year", was and is very popular and sought after, and commands a substantial premium.

I'm sure you really knew this but just happened to forget while you were posting.

yes you can get deals such as you say on standard years but they are not the usual scenario, and not available all the time to everyone who wants them.

Also, as it's already been pointed out, the 2012 is not a "standard year", was and is very popular and sought after, and commands a substantial premium.

I'm sure you really knew this but just happened to forget while you were posting.

You are correct - I was giving a benchmark for typical proof coins, not taking into account anything special.

However, when you look back to earlier years with low mintages it doesn't seem to affect the premiums too much.

New issues are frequently overpriced - see the Royal Mint prices - then a few years later the price drops dramatically on the resale market.

Prices are no doubt set according to what the market will bear but some products are artificially inflated to give the impression they are more desirable.

A parallel example is designer label clothing and handbags - products made in India or the Philippines for $10 selling for $1,000.

Some jewellery has a 700% markup so a half price sale still gives the retailer a big profit whilst the buyer thinks this is a bargain.

A premium for a new proof in excess of 20% still appears to me to be too high but people should make their own choices and be happy with their purchases.

You are correct - I was giving a benchmark for typical proof coins, not taking into account anything special.

However, when you look back to earlier years with low mintages it doesn't seem to affect the premiums too much.

New issues are frequently overpriced - see the Royal Mint prices - then a few years later the price drops dramatically on the resale market.

Prices are no doubt set according to what the market will bear but some products are artificially inflated to give the impression they are more desirable.

A parallel example is designer label clothing and handbags - products made in India or the Philippines for $10 selling for $1,000.

Some jewellery has a 700% markup so a half price sale still gives the retailer a big profit whilst the buyer thinks this is a bargain.

A premium for a new proof in excess of 20% still appears to me to be too high but people should make their own choices and be happy with their purchases.

I was watching a video on the way RM create proofs and my view is that they are often significantly under priced. if BU sells for spot + 5 to spot + 50 for an average 1/20th oz and is single strike high mintage automated manufacture then a limited mintage proof struck six times and hand inspected in a box with coa and capsule should be worth more than a 20% premium. The market says 20-30% premium but the product is "worth" a 50% to 100% premium imho.

Sorry Pete, but if you aren't talking about the specific coin I'm asking about then your reply is pretty meaningless isn't it? 

We were talking about the 2012

Which premiums? The original ones?

Agree, this often happens, but with the one-off designs such as 1989, 2002, 2005 2012 this doesn't generally apply, they have kept their value. Personally I would only buy from the mint in very unusual situations.

Agree completely but this comparison is not valid to limited mintage coins.

Again, agree completely but not a valid comparison.

Your opinion is fine for you but these are limited edition collectable coins, not bought on the basis of their bullion value. It's all supply and demand. Some people will happily pay spot + 10,000% for a rare collectable coin.

Anyone care to throw a value at a proof half sovereign 2002 still royal mint sealed in presentation box, london coin company is asking £399 but no sales I can see so those are no doubt overpriced.

Wouldn't touch anything from London coin company with a barge pole

Anyone care to throw a value at a proof half sovereign 2002 still royal mint sealed in presentation box, london coin company is asking £399 but no sales I can see so those are no doubt overpriced.

My guess is 290 to 320 but I don't think still sealed adds any value for these coins.

My guess is 290 to 320 but I don't think still sealed adds any value for these coins.

Sorry just saw its a half .... Make that 140 to 160 Max

Wouldn't touch anything from London coin company with a barge pole

Why is that ?

Ok, I have one that's going away for many many years, I guess it just means it definitely has not been messed around with or handled. 

Edit* did wonder, I paid £170 for it, I wonder if a 1989 proof sealed coin came to the market what the interest /extra premium would be. (if they sealed them back then) 

My theory was that toys in the original packing are worth lots more and the same may be the case for coins.

Archived