• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How much silver is too much silver ?

UkSilverStacker

There are 2 scenarios here.

Robbery by the informed or robbery by the opportunist. If the stash is hidden well within the fabric of the building then an opportunist thief, generally looking for bits and pieces to sell on for drug money, will not be successful in obtaining your silver.

However a thief who knows that you stack will lead to a nasty situation with far more chance of violence and will be far more organised. They will want you to be at home so they can threaten you to expose your stack ("expose your stack" was not meant to sound as erotic as it does).

I also keep a memory stick with my stack detailing my financial details just in case my online security is breached or my computer fails.

The key is not to tell anyone that you stack no matter how excited you are about the latest Royal Mint Lunar offering (my attempt at humour). 

I think silver is incredibly cheap at the moment so the irrational behaviour and hysteria of Cryptos last year (IMO) leaves me quite positive about the future of silver, which I believe to be a very rational investment ... for now :).

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

‘They will want you to be at home so they can threaten you to expose your stack ("expose your stack" was not meant to sound as erotic as it does).’

Exposing my stack is the least erotic thing I can think of.

Someone in my family has installed security camera's around the house and also inside the house. When the alarm is on and the camera's detect motion they will send a signal to a security company and to his phone. He has a safe that is drilled into concrete, it's covered with a blanket with all kinds of junk on top.

My next investments are probably camera's they deter most burglars from even trying to enter the house. There are many alternatives (other houses) for a burglar that form less risk and more reward.

Even though I live in the UK now, i would hope another burglar tried to break in. The last 3 ( organised ) wet themselves and had armed police removing them from my custody. If you think a firearms safe is flimsy on another note think again. But I will say the less they look like a safe the better. Look up UK firearms law and how to mount or where to mount your safe. It gives excellent tips and advice

A number of firearms safes are nothing but lockers in the UK and can be opened in seconds with a crowbar or grinder.  I've seen fairly cheap little 10 to 15l safes that weight more than twice as much as a cheap full length gun safe.

Hoping that your home is broken into isn't very sensible either.  No matter how well armed or 'hard' you think you are there are always people far more dangerous.

Don't hope they break into your house here, the burglars have more right than you do and if you defend yourself you can expect to do more time than three burglars put together. It would be funny if it wasn't true. ;)

I don't think I am hard. LOL, I am not 16! 

If your firearm safe is able to be opened with a crowbar or a angle grinder it's not fit for purpose and won't be approved by the home office and your local firearms officer. LOL

Clearly no idea on this subject. Sorry but I did not plan on a dispute but I am very versed on this matter. FACT!  Here is a example of a simular smaller one to mine. 

http://www.brattonsound.co.uk/titan-level2-gunsafe.html

Good discussion on the merits of a safe... I believe in a few of the statements here... 1) loose lips sink ships... don't blab...2) use a safe, a good safe, you get what you pay for... 3) camouflage the safe so it's not a beacon begging to be worked on...  I have the AS-4520-4 on order from http://www.mutualsafes.com/safes-4/ul-safes/  i've found insurance companies work with you better if you have a serious setup (at least here in the US).  

guess my take on this is, I'm not stacking for some other yahoo's benefit...

my 2 cents...  

4 hours ago, jonrms said:

I don't think I am hard. LOL, I am not 16!

If your firearm safe is able to be opened with a crowbar or a angle grinder it's not fit for purpose and won't be approved by the home office and your local firearms officer. LOL

Clearly no idea on this subject. Sorry but I did not plan on a dispute but I am very versed on this matter. FACT!  Here is a example of a simular smaller one to mine. 

http://www.brattonsound.co.uk/titan-level2-gunsafe.html

i have seen shotguns stored in cabinets, checked by the local police firearms officer and were glorified changing room cabinets - a crowbar would have opened them. i was surprised at how insubstantial they were. This is a police approved cabinet - it weighs 22kg so can't be more than folded sheet.

https://www.safe.co.uk/products/phoenix-lacerta-gs8000k-1-gun-safe.html

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117794/security_leaflet.pdf

Gun cabinets 

It is recommended that a cabinet should have the following features:

• It should be made from sheet steel at least 14 swg (standard wire gauge) (2 mm) thick. All seams should be continuously welded, or the cabinet body formed by bend construction.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I have 2 a floor home with traps both on the floors and ceilings. I have golden chests that glow until opened. When opened both sound and glow disappear. I have tactical shotguns, green assault rifle, blue hunting rifle, a green SCAR, bandages, chug jugs, mini shields and ammo all throughout the house. In fortnight I shall have a rocket launcher... 

3 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

I have 2 a floor home with traps both on the floors and ceilings. I have golden chests that glow until opened. When opened both sound and glow disappear. I have tactical shotguns, green assault rifle, blue hunting rifle, a green SCAR, bandages, chug jugs, mini shields and ammo all throughout the house. In fortnight I shall have a rocket launcher... 

There is prepping and then there is prepping. - the only way you'll get my gold is over my dead body - but probably yours. :P

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

1 hour ago, 999magnum said:

Yeah, but do you have one of these?  When you really get serious about security!

image.png.7c81bac5c344e44622000b6301422da8.png

On 5/4/2018 at 22:14, KDave said:

Don't hope they break into your house here, the burglars have more right than you do and if you defend yourself you can expect to do more time than three burglars put together. It would be funny if it wasn't true. ;)

Is it still a very grey area in the UK? We finally brought in some semblance of logic in the eyes of the law when protecting yourself and your home. Of course like most things it took a controversial case to bring notice. About 5 years back it's been finally permitted, without fear for your own rights, to physically attack an intruder at will to defend yourself and family inside your home. But if the intruder is killed (instead of the optimal maiming) you need to prove that there was no alternative. For example, if the evidence points to him having been attempting to get away, then you are naturally in trouble. Rightly so.

I remember the supermarket chain Lidl were selling a consignment of baseball bats here, once. All Lidl stores sold out of them faster than the hottest toy at christmas. But i missed out. It should be said baseball has the same attraction in Ireland as a supermarket selling snowboards in Egypt would have.

I do wonder sometimes how i would react if finding an intruder in the house in the middle of the night, though...... for instance, like all sensible Irish people, we have a mortal fear of wasps. I find one has ventured into the house, everything stops until this threat is eliminated. Not only will i whack the little sod in a frenzy until he's obviously not moving... i'll return and give a few more wallops in case it was just pretending!

7 hours ago, sixgun said:

i have seen shotguns stored in cabinets, checked by the local police firearms officer and were glorified changing room cabinets - a crowbar would have opened them. i was surprised at how insubstantial they were. This is a police approved cabinet - it weighs 22kg so can't be more than folded sheet.

https://www.safe.co.uk/products/phoenix-lacerta-gs8000k-1-gun-safe.html

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117794/security_leaflet.pdf

Gun cabinets 

22kgs :o mine weighs probably 4 times that, well it took 4 of us to bring it into the house and put it in position, and now its bolted and got more weight of guns in it you would need a forklift to shift it, a more humane way of dealing with burglars would be to have some strategically placed humongous strapon adult toys with a large jar of lube with swarf and sand in it next to them, failing that a dog is probably one of the best things you could have, I miss mine so much, she was pretty good with a Maxim.

lexmaxim.JPG

It's still a minefield but yes you would have to take matters into your own hands if someone came into your house to take things. It's the ultimate chaos when you do though, anything can happen. Murder is worse than robbery but it's also easy to commit by mistake or become the dead body yourself.  

I am not so trusting or confident of the police and courts in the UK. The recent example shows they make it up as they go along, and they will protect the wrong people for the wrong reasons until they change their mind and do the right thing. And that is under public scrutiny and pressure, if you don't have that on your side good luck! 

On 5/9/2018 at 02:27, PansPurse said:

Just my own opinion but, I generally think that murder is worse than robbery.

I don't see your point, who said robbery was worse than murder ?  Seems like a random kind of thing to say.

14 minutes ago, Lowlow said:

I don't see your point, who said robbery was worse than murder ?  Seems like a random kind of thing to say.

I think the comment refers to killing a burglar and the interpretation that this is murder to prevent a robbery. -

Robbery and burglary are very different crimes. Robbery involves violence against the person as well as theft. If someone got killed whilst they were attempting to rob someone, in my book they have it coming.

A burglary is a little different - but if if the household is in fear of an assault and the householder kills the burglar whilst defending themselves i see this as reasonable.

Using reasonable force to defend oneself, others and one's property is lawful.

• 1 year later...

I have this bad boy under my stairs to store my gold and silver in, except I had a manual 3 wheel combination lock added.

https://www.totalsafes.co.uk/product/dudley-harlech-lite-s1-safe-size-2/

You would have to smash the wall down to be able to get a crow bar in to even attempt to force it open. The under stair door locks also. It weighs a lot and takes a few people to move it. Plus my house is alarmed. I’ll be annoyed when I can’t fit anymore good and silver in the safe though 😂 

Have you thought about selling your entire silver stack and buying 913 gold sovereigns instead which you can stash in a piano case? Only problem you might completely forget where you hid your hoard and leave it all to the British Museum! Seriously though, I’m thinking of buying a safe from Atkinsons at the end of the year in which to stash my stack. I’ve also prioritised gold over silver which helps to keep my silver stack to manageable proportions. You can never really overbuy gold to the same extent that silver stackers are always overbuying silver.

5FD3C5B6-1C22-471D-A62D-8E41B80FF810.jpeg

Archived