• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Platinum - who's buying?

vand

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone manage to buy some Platinum on the dip a few weeks ago AND is waiting delivery ?
Any idea as to when the Royal Mint will be shipping to their dealers ?
I saw a TV programme where the Royal Mint was manufacturing face shields for the NHS so maybe their efforts are directed elsewhere at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for my replacement Platinum Dragon coin that I returned to them on 2nd April 😬

I have chased them several times and I haven't had a reply to my last email TWO WEEKS AGO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2020 at 08:40, Stuntman said:

I'm still waiting for my replacement Platinum Dragon coin that I returned to them on 2nd April 😬

I have chased them several times and I haven't had a reply to my last email TWO WEEKS AGO.

I've found they are replying fairly quick via their Facebook page might be worth a try

I called them on Thursday and got through after half an hour.  They agreed that my replacement order had been outstanding "for a very long time" and they promised to call me and email me once they had news of when it would be despatched.

They received my returned coin on 2 April and my replacement has not been despatched as of today, 25 May.

I will be happy when it does finally arrive but I am very unlikely to use them ever again.

I've dealt with them at least 5 times before without any problems apart from their terrible web ordering process.  But this time has been somewhat unfortunate and frustrating.  I bought the coin (and a Platinum Unicorn at the same time) for a very decent price on the dip and just want my replacement order to be fulfilled.  it's been two months since I placed my original order.

I am unlikely to buy much, if any, more physical platinum and there are usually good alternative suppliers for any future gold and silver purchases I make.  Royal Mint will only receive my business if they are either the only possible UK supplier of something I want, or if they are significantly cheaper than anyone else.

The coin was jammed in its capsule and resisted any careful attempts to remove it from the capsule, short of cracking the capsule and risking damage to the coin.  The capsule was too small for the coin.  I asked the RM for advice and they advised that I return the coin to them, which I did using Special Delivery.  I sent it on 1 April and they signed for it on 2 April.  They accept all this, and have refunded the cost of Special Delivery - but as yet, no replacement coin.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/05/2020 at 16:45, Golddigger69 said:

Should a second crash come now, i will stock up more on it.

Its a funny thing psychology.

Bookmark this comment as if the second crash comes you will be questioning whether its a good time to buy as there could be more downside.

• 1 month later...

It's far from too late to get into Platinum. Taken on a long term view the Gold/Platinum ratio is still well over 3 standard deviations from its long term mean. I am 99.6% sure that at some point over the next 5-10 years we'll look back at today's platinum prices and recognise that it was a "generational bargain", and it will have been obvious in hindsight.

Platinum is the only metal I'm currently still accumulating.

6 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

@vand are you accumulating physical, or using ETFs or similar?

I've added to my ETF holdings 3 times in June and July, including last weekend.

I've been ETF only for the last 6 months, and tbh very happy with this strategy. I'll probably buy some more physical at some point but I don't consider it a priority at the moment.

4 hours ago, vand said:

With the strong rise in silver, the platinum:silver ratio has now fallen to 39.4, basically making it as good a buy today as it was on May 1st 2011:

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/price-ratio/platinum/silver/20year//

But they all love gold..wierd to think not too long back gold was platinums poor cousin.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know why the price of Platinum crashed in March 2020 for only a couple of days before bouncing back ?
Seems an unnatural dip and could it happen again ?

311528560_Screenshot2021-01-03at14_48_10.thumb.png.b647230058a66d51c5ae7c66a96b7005.png

Archived