• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Shops in London

Hey all

Ok I am coming to London in March for Europe and want to pick up some bullion. Any recommendations I am mostly looking for gold. A few oz (Britannia and Krugerrand) and some sovereigns. I have seen a few online can anyone recommend any good priced ones?

Daniel

15 minutes ago, MickB said:

https://www.sharpspixley.com/buy-bullion/buy-gold/buy-coins

Sharps Pixley in St. James's Street is one place where you can walk in & buy bullion but only open Monday to Friday.

Thank you yes just checked the site and they look cheaper than the ones I found! In UK do I pay anything else when going? Like a fee as when I go here in Cyprus to a shop they add a fee like 30 eur per transaction?

17 minutes ago, neo4516 said:

In UK do I pay anything else when going? Like a fee as when I go here in Cyprus to a shop they add a fee like 30 eur per transaction?

Not usual in UK. Haven't heard of any doing this. Just pay the price of the coins. 

If you want a luxury experience Sharps & pixely, or Baird are nice. You will have a nice looking shop, and service. Hatton Garden metals will often be cheaper, as the premises is smaller and less luxury.

Truth is if you just want a good price, any of them could give the best price on the day. Just have to spend a bit of time before you head to the shops in the morning browsing prices on each of their websites, then head over to the chosen shop to make a purchase. 

78av.gif

1 minute ago, SilverDrum said:

If you want a luxury experience Sharps & pixely, or Baird are nice. You will have a nice looking shop, and service. Hatton Garden metals will often be cheaper, as the premises is smaller and less luxury.

Truth is if you just want a good price, any of them could give the best price on the day. Just have to spend a bit of time before you head to the shops in the morning browsing prices on each of their websites, then head over to the chosen shop to make a purchase. 

That’s sound advise!  I am in London for a week and will probably get it the last day as I don’t want to be having it in my hotel room all that time. 

1 minute ago, neo4516 said:

That’s sound advise!  I am in London for a week and will probably get it the last day as I don’t want to be having it in my hotel room all that time. 

Check out the British Museum if you have time and haven't already been. They have a few coin collections, and a great room with numismatic focus. Lots of production and international coinage. Free as well! 

78av.gif

Just now, SilverDrum said:

Check out the British Museum if you have time and haven't already been. They have a few coin collections, and a great room with numismatic focus. Lots of production and international coinage. Free as well! 

Cool yes it’s on my to do list! Also Tower of London see some nice coins I hope 

4 hours ago, SilverDrum said:

Hatton Garden metals will often be cheaper, as the premises is smaller and less luxury.

Hatton garden Metals is probably the least luxury premises I have visited to buy coins. Deals can be good but you go into a space 8ft by 8ft with a counter to collect or sell. Do not think about going there and asking to see a whole load of coins. It will not happen. You buy online and pick up.  None of these places are coin shops, they are dealers for picking up or selling.  

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

9 hours ago, Spyder said:

Hatton garden Metals is probably the least luxury premises I have visited to buy coins. Deals can be good but you go into a space 8ft by 8ft with a counter to collect or sell. Do not think about going there and asking to see a whole load of coins. It will not happen. You buy online and pick up.  None of these places are coin shops, they are dealers for picking up or selling.  

I was trying to be polite. I enjoyed my moment in there, was very aware to just ask for what i want and not expect a browse of what's nicest. Just asked for a specific year and wer checked the stock, non of what i wanted..so asked for a lucky dip proof sov and was happy with what i got. Sure if i was looking to be treated like a king for buying a single sovereign i would have gone elsewhere. 

78av.gif

9 hours ago, SilverDrum said:

I was trying to be polite. I enjoyed my moment in there, was very aware to just ask for what i want and not expect a browse of what's nicest. Just asked for a specific year and wer checked the stock, non of what i wanted..so asked for a lucky dip proof sov and was happy with what i got. Sure if i was looking to be treated like a king for buying a single sovereign i would have gone elsewhere. 

The OP is coming from another country so it best to tell him the truth rather than try and be polite about a place.  There are others from outside London who might make a journey to Hatton Garden and be upset that there are no real coin shops there.  

The reason the subject was posted by the OP is to get some information from members who have visited different establishment as to not waste time when in London.  Unless picking something bought online, I would avoid the Hatton Garden area completely if looking for gold coins. 

5 hours ago, Spyder said:

The OP is coming from another country so it best to tell him the truth rather than try and be polite about a place.  There are others from outside London who might make a journey to Hatton Garden and be upset that there are no real coin shops there.  

The reason the subject was posted by the OP is to get some information from members who have visited different establishment as to not waste time when in London.  Unless picking something bought online, I would avoid the Hatton Garden area completely if looking for gold coins. 

They are looking for "bullion" coins and "good priced ones". Where in london can you buy with a lower premium?

If i was the OP i would be frustrated walking into anywhere that makes me pay for the "experience" of the shops decor and location on each purchase. Choice is their own, so i stated both in my post to not deceive :) 

78av.gif

If I was the OP I would put up a wanted listing a week before he arrives and be willing to meet and buy from members who are in London.  It would work out cheaper and he could make some contacts at the same time

1 hour ago, Spyder said:

If I was the OP I would put up a wanted listing a week before he arrives and be willing to meet and buy from members who are in London.  It would work out cheaper and he could make some contacts at the same time

You know that’s not a bad idea.

Yes if you want the odd bit of au I'm happy to sell to you, depending on what it is I will try my best to be competitive. 

The "wanted ad"  does sound like  a brilliant idea and if I do match any of your requirements I will be in contact.

5 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

Yes if you want the odd bit of au I'm happy to sell to you, depending on what it is I will try my best to be competitive. 

The "wanted ad"  does sound like  a brilliant idea and if I do match any of your requirements I will be in contact.

Ok cheers will keep it in mind!

Tavex is also a good option to remember. Can collect by appointment, and they're a lovely bunch

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves