• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Beginning to Stack 2024

A lot of people would suggest not to bother, however, like a lot of things it’s a matter of right price. If you can get silver at a decent price like on the forum then why not? Saying that, I have now gone from buying all sorts of silver to buying very little.🤔🤔

I've bought some Silver and Gold but I'm thinking that Silver due to the premium and VAT may not be a great investment. Gold I'm sure is but I'm not so sure about Silver. Fortunately I've not spent a fortune.

3 minutes ago, artalien said:

If I could I'd buy up all the silver for sale on here at circa £21 - £22 an ounce. I'd try to hold for 5 years at least.

While I'm also a holder of many, many oz of silver... storage of said silver in any quantity is a nightmare!

2 hours ago, Darr3nG said:

What's your budget and your end-game?

If it's simply somewhere to park your money for a while, so it doesn't lose to inflation, then you can't really go wrong with standard bullion sovereigns...

Simple VAT-free 22ct chunks of gold which are easy to buy and sell, usually within a few % of spot price. And the best part, CGT free!!!

Budget wise I don't have a set budget but have just been using whatever I have spare that I can comfortably afford. My plan was to hold it for 10+ years as a hedge against inflation. 

29 minutes ago, Saxon79 said:

My plan was to hold it for 10+ years

Gold it is then... :)

Next thing to consider is your exit strategy - if selling to a dealer, you can probably stack any low-premium gold. If you're planning to sell privately, then sovs or half sovs are recommended, as they are well known/trusted and should still be affordable for many people.

5 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Gold it is then... :)

Next thing to consider is your exit strategy - if selling to a dealer, you can probably stack any low-premium gold. If you're planning to sell privately, then sovs or half sovs are recommended, as they are well known/trusted and should still be affordable for many people.

I was leaning towards buying Gold and just leaving Silver unless I came across some great deals. I have bought some Gold already but I will definitely be buying some Sovereigns. In terms of exit strategy I would sell private or to dealer. I will always be looking for low premium. My purchases so far have been online from Gold.co.uk

Edited by Saxon79

For me Gold is for stacking and Silver is for collecting - Partly the reason why ive started a Silver Britannia date run.

i think its important to keep whatever you decide to do interesting and fun. All well and good stacking gold at as close to spot as possible but for me I love getting a particular dated coin or special edition and at a good price

3 minutes ago, Saxon79 said:

My purchases so far have been online from Gold.co.uk

Consider premium membership... you'll save so much vs the dealer prices, you'll wonder why you ever bought from them :D 

In fairness, they're not all bad and often have great deals - membership also gets you access to the compare prices tool.

8 hours ago, Darr3nG said:

While I'm also a holder of many, many oz of silver... storage of said silver in any quantity is a nightmare!

I see regular members saying this often. How much silver do you guys actually have? I flogged everything I had in boxes or slabs, the rest of my silver doesn't take up much room, it's not like an exercise bike or weights bench. You can easily fit £10K of silver in a monster box. I'd guess £100K in silver is 8 monster boxes give or take. I don't have £100K in silver but if I did the storage would be less of an issue than the insurance. I'd have to check the fine print but I think I'm paying like £20/year extra give or take for every £10K in silver. Reasonable I think

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

Silver is more a industrial metal, will be a long term hold but much of it's swings depends on economic conditions. Central banks are hoarding gold but a mixture of both leaning more to the gold ratio. 

Edited by londonfella81

8 hours ago, londonfella81 said:

Silver is more a industrial metal, will be a long term hold but much of it's swings depends on economic conditions. Central banks are hoarding gold but a mixture of both leaning more to the gold ratio. 

My idea behind buying some Silver was to hold it at least 10 years. 

8 hours ago, londonfella81 said:

Interesting to note that no central banks hold silver. The last real stockpiles (beyond industrial or bullion brokers) went when silver stopped being used for circulating coinage in the 1960s/70s.

3 hours ago, Saxon79 said:

My idea behind buying some Silver was to hold it at least 10 years. 

This makes more sense for stacking silver.

If you are prepared to sit on it for 10years plus, then you have the right attitude to tackle the speculative element of silver stacking.

The wrong attitude is to keep checking the price every day and biatch and moan when you've 'lost'. We only gain/lose when we actually sell, by the way.

Stacking silver is for contrarian thinking in my view. It is unloved by the (rigged) markets, a look at recent price history indicates it's going nowhere, a loser choice. A deadbeat investment.

Industry loves it though, and in real terms it is extremely cheap and getting cheaper by the year. I love it!

For short-mid-long term savings, stick to sovereigns/britannias.

If you are prepared for a price explosion that may happen anytime (even after you're gone though) then silver is right up there

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

@JohnA1 It is a long term plan i have including leaving some to my Children. I have been purchasing with spare money so it's not anything I will miss so leaving it for 10 years + will be no bother for me. I will definitely be buying some Sovereigns and 1/4oz Britannias. At some point in next 18 months I will probably splash out on a 1oz gold Britannia, especially if I land a new role at work that I've applied for.

Hello Saxon and welcome to The Silver Forum! 

I’ll be straight up to the point: if it’s for your children and you don’t want an unknown cloud above your head dwindling whether or not silver will break just stick to bullion gold sovereigns. Gold will always store wealth and it’s much safer to invest in compared to silver.  Nothing else. Your children will thank you and they will benefit greatly from it.

Silver I see as a hobby and collecting specific size coins or series to your liking. The Uk VAT kills any motivation for a stacker to focus purely on silver. This is just my opinion. Second hand silver is a different ball game but fun. 

Also feel free to check out the awesome Silver Premium Members Hangout thread once you upgrade 😎you won’t regret it. 

Good luck and enjoy the adventure of stacking precious metals! 👍