• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1874 London G&D Douro shipwreck sovereign value

Just now, paulmerton said:

I would have thought an 1874 London sovereign would carry a bit of a premium even if it hadn't been under the sea for 100+ years!

We are talking about the extra added premium

Never Chase and Never Regret 

7 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I am also curious to know what a non-Douro 1874 London would be worth to be fair 🤣

I have two, paid around £400 for both, neither is fantastic though and I did get lucky picking both up from bullion listings

I would pay a very good price for an 1874 Shield, which I do not have.

1874(D)F.thumb.JPG.8f150f87f8cb5c129db17915e1cbbf9d.JPG 1874(1)R.thumb.JPG.3aea7bf8e29dc886c2e209ac6ef70964.JPG 

1874(1)F.thumb.JPG.235418c3452c77fb0b1c5a099b576c5c.JPG 1874(D)R.thumb.JPG.4a37072df9cbd065c1bf62d83506c1a2.JPG 

Just now, Orpster said:

I have two, paid around £400 for both, neither is fantastic though and I did get lucky picking both up from bullion listings

I would pay a very good price for an 1874 Shield, which I do not have.

1874(D)F.thumb.JPG.8f150f87f8cb5c129db17915e1cbbf9d.JPG 1874(1)R.thumb.JPG.3aea7bf8e29dc886c2e209ac6ef70964.JPG 

1874(1)F.thumb.JPG.235418c3452c77fb0b1c5a099b576c5c.JPG 1874(D)R.thumb.JPG.4a37072df9cbd065c1bf62d83506c1a2.JPG 

Those look very nice! And a great price for a relatively low mintage year.

Has that certificate got its own specific number?  I ask this because say someone had those coins graded and if certificate number is not added to the slab. What is for someone dubious to get another couple of sovereigns that minted within that time scale and get graded again and so round and round it goes

Just now, Spyder said:

Has that certificate got its own specific number?  I ask this because say someone had those coins graded and if certificate number is not added to the slab. What is for someone dubious to get another couple of sovereigns that minted within that time scale and get graded again and so round and round it goes

It is a numbered certificate (x/500).

7 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

It is a numbered certificate (x/500).

I understand that, but unless the grading company writes that on the slab or takes note of the certificate number, what is you or whoever not to use it again with other coins, lets say 1st at NGC and next at PGCS.  Obviously, you be asking for the certificate back from the grading company. When I say you, it the plural you and NOT specifically you. 

Edited by Spyder

1 minute ago, Spyder said:

I understand that, but unless the grading company writes that on the slab or takes note of the certificate number, what is you or whoever not to use it again with other coins, lets say 1st at NGC and next at PGCS.  Obviously, you be asking for the certificate back from the grading company. When I say you, it the plural you and NOT specifically you. 

I would hope that they keep a note of the certificate numbers! Do you know anything about this @GoldDiggerDave?

4 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I would hope that they keep a note of the certificate numbers! Do you know anything about this @GoldDiggerDave?

Yes the NGC did take a copy of my COA, they won’t submit without..

These are mine,  

I do these YT shorts as they are quick to film and handy for reference

1874 G&D London sovereign is a rare coin if in au58 / above grading/condition.

I wouldnt pay any specific premium for a low grade one, like a gVF fine.

Some people love coins from shipwreck but as already stated the certificate has to be linked to the coin somehow, otherwise it pretty much a piece of paper..

34 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Yes the NGC did take a copy of my COA, they won’t submit without..

These are mine,  

I do these YT shorts as they are quick to film and handy for reference

What if you use the same certificate with PCGS, would they know. This is why I think the certificate number should be added to the slabbed coin

Edited by Spyder

A coin cabinet G&D 1874 sovereign, just saying, has been sold for 430 gbp (gVF condition). i guess that's an older auction as i see 0% buyer's premium

Edited by refero

Looks a lot worse than Dave's and his only got AU58 grade. Yours might get XF45

I bought a sovereign once ,can't remember where from and oddly it came in a folder and a certificate claiming Douro shipwreck.  I kept the coin and threw the stuff in the bin.  It might have been genuine shipwreck or not but it never bothered me . Personally I never understood why they attract a premium.  Quite interesting but not worth paying double the value for. Basically I think you're paying extra for a fancy folder and a certificate.