• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay Seller Morality

I agree totally he is preying on the gullibility (greed) of others and in my mind he is devoid of morals but unfortunately this is what large businesses do on a daily basis.

For me the title should state exactly what is for sale. But in the same breath the buyer must take some responsibility for bidding on such items.

Stupid people gotta be punished somehow. I call it Divine Intervention.

Edit: above was a joke. Below is possibly what happens. People could list on eBay and ask friends and clients to bid until the listing reaches desired prices. Then some other illicit stuff could be included in the deal. Though for that purpose you can also pay with half sovereigns

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Buy a sovereign on eBay , pay the money , receive item , claim it’s fake , open a case , send the item back ( but put something else in , at the same weight) take photos of the special delivery envelope/ parcel , , the case will drag on between you and the seller ,  hold your ground, eventually eBay will back you , and send a refund , eBay might refund the seller as well , as they have a slush fund , for such cases , it’s a scrum bag  move and people do it👎

1 hour ago, Agaupl said:

I think we need to not fall into the trap of expecting the average punter to know what most of us in the TSF know. These people aren’t scamming people in the know. They are scamming innocent people. That person will never invest in gold again as it’s ’dodgy And dangerous’. Gives the whole bullion industry a bad name. 

I am inclined to agree. But I'm afraid there are a minority of "in the know" TSF members who believe the PM market is a scam itself, that everything is so heavily manipulated that gold price bears no correlation with real world events, that spot doesn't reflect the worth of precious metals, to the point where they'd think they live in a simulation.

The next moment they try to sell you silver.

They are either terminally delusional or deliberately spreading misinformation to aid their sales. To me they are in no place to criticise eBay sellers who list "copy" coins to hook stupid buyers.

I'm not referring to anyone I've recently interacted with. I saw that kind of behaviour a couple months ago, but never since (perhaps because I blocked them?)

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

It's morally repugnant but we are not a moral society - we operate under Common Law. Our Common Law is based on a moral code - Christianity - but we are not an explicitly Christian nation nor are we a theocracy. We are a secular nation. In this example the only thing that matters is the law

The law of the UK forbids the sale of fake or counterfeit precious metals. There are severe penalties for violations (maximum unlimited fine, 2 years in prison for a business owner)

The terms and conditions of eBay forbid the sale of fakes or replicas

Therefore these items should not be for sale on eBay by law, which is a separate issue from morality in a secular state (theocracies include KSA, Iran, Sudan, Yemen, Vatican City, Mauritania and Afghanistan)

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

4 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I am inclined to agree. But I'm afraid there are a minority of "in the know" TSF members who believe the PM market is a scam itself, that everything is so heavily manipulated that gold price bears no correlation with real world events, that spot doesn't reflect the worth of precious metals, to the point where they'd think they live in a simulation.

The next moment they try to sell you silver.

They are either terminally delusional or deliberately spreading misinformation to aid their sales. To me they are in no place to criticise eBay sellers who list "copy" coins to hook stupid buyers.

I'm not referring to anyone I've recently interacted with. I saw that kind of behaviour a couple months ago, but never since (perhaps because I blocked them?)

Scams are scams and scammers are scammers. 

Aaaahhh😉

The advert is disingenuous, fair enough it's in the listing that it's a fake but it's not prominent and it's not in the sales title. There is a lot of genuine terminology which is intented to mislead, the seller hopes people will miss the admission that it's a fake and if it sells for over the odds he's technically done his bit legally in the sales description.

I totally agree with @treetop1280 but add that ‘tar and feathering’ should be included and maybe ducking pond for repeat offenders.

Just don’t buy and sell PM there. E-bay doesn’t care or have any morals. Filth.

I remember @Midasfrog had the Christmas card insult and both the buyer and seller were refunded.

You can’t help people who can’t help themselves as unsuspecting buyers. Only some harsh love will help.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

5 hours ago, Coverte said:

I believe if that were reported to ebay the items maybe removed - either way, very bad practice and why I very rarely even log into ebay anymore.

no way will ebay remove this, he states its fake and in their eyes he's ok, its wrong but there it is, they struggle to remove clearly fraudulent items so this one will stay no matter who complains... my response to the post will be below

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

2 minutes ago, dicker said:

He has a large collection of “Change Checker” 50p’s for sale for £750.

I am going to start asking him some questions…Will post replies if he “bites” 

post the questions, we can then duplicate, that will piss him off and i'll ask him his fav sandwich filling too at some point

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.