• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Perth mint Kookaburra chat

A very welcome thread indeed @motorbikez thank you!

We have many avid collectors of Kooks here, and some of us (like me) are trying to work out what is worth what (both for buying and selling).

Looking forward very much to this thread and what we can share, and I expect @motorbikez has a lot of knowledge and experience with Kooks, this could (and should!) be a very valuable resource to us devoted Kook hobbyists :)

6 hours ago, motorbikez said:

I am just starting a new collection of 1oz silver MS 70 kookaburras & I am only going to collect the standard non privy versions I'm not quite up to speed with these but have already noticed there are privy versions of 2022 & 2023 1oz kooks. 

I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell me the score re the 1oz kook privy versions. 

Example of my ms 70 s

20240103_112747.jpg

Very nice!

Whilst hunting down various Kooks, I have noticed that there is a particularly good supply of graded Kooks in the US.

EBay bears this out - some of the earlier montages may be worth seeking out and grading yourself as MS70 examples can be quite expensive.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I think Kooks are my favourite of the Perth Mint designs.  Not sure I'll attempt a date run, but I do buy older ones from time to time when they come up.  I have to say Constantin's listings are tempting me to buy a 10oz one, and if they started making 1oz gold ones I'd be in like Flynn.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

@dicker you are not wrong about ms 70 kooks being expensive, I've got a few coming from the US over the next week or so. I haven't bought anything from the US for nearly 2 years & am a bit annoyed that you pay a sales tax on top of your purchase price on ebay & elsewhere I didn'tpay any sales tax before. Then I've got the vat grief to look forward to here.

I guess in the US they are hunting for tax everywhere same as here to pizz up the wall & fund illegals grrrr.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

13 hours ago, kimchi said:

It's far, far more than that...Kooks are well prized, and so they should be!

Very true. I've got more than 100 Kooks and if they were CGT-exempt I would ditch most of my Britannias and just buy Kooks!

I think Kooks are arguably the best quality bullion in the world. There might be better coins out there but not in the same price bracket as Kooks

I only have 1oz bullion currently, a few privies and the odd special edition. If I had the spare cash I would start with the 10oz and 1kilo, I'm jealous of @COBRASTACKER!

I'd like to own the graded versions too but I don't like slabs/boxes or high premiums 😂

The fact none of my coins have milked and I rarely see Kooks for sale that have milked is a big thing for me, I've been scarred by Britannias, Krugs, Eagles and Maples, all of which have milked. The Britannias and RM stuff that's not cheap but still milks is the only negative thing for me about stacking/collecting silver. Kooks are the perfect blend for me of stacking/collecting without going nuts on the premiums. For more expensive stuff I'd prefer gold, like you can buy 2 sovs+ for the same price as a 1 kilo Kook!

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

3 hours ago, motorbikez said:

@dicker you are not wrong about ms 70 kooks being expensive, I've got a few coming from the US over the next week or so. I haven't bought anything from the US for nearly 2 years & am a bit annoyed that you pay a sales tax on top of your purchase price on ebay & elsewhere I didn'tpay any sales tax before. Then I've got the vat grief to look forward to here.

I guess in the US they are hunting for tax everywhere same as here to pizz up the wall & fund illegals grrrr.

Yes - it’s definitely a pain paying their tax.

I saw a complete Kook collection including Privy’s at a local (non numismatic) auction in the US about 3 years ago.  Some were graded.

Might just be my perception but I think there are a lot for sale in the US.  Not sure why!

Best

Dicker

37 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Found it!……This is @NGMD kook! 

Just a beauty and actually only 500 produced. I got two of them direct from the Perth Mint. I think the stars aligned because they sold out in a minutes on release after I bought them. Not often you get that ‘Wow’ factor and worth every penny.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

7 hours ago, dicker said:

If anyone hasn’t seen the High Relief series - they are to my eye spectacular.  Example below.

image.thumb.png.d7aecd0e50087e97c77d9def38e76163.png

Are they concave with the high relief? I bought the Lunar Tiger and the ‘dished’ coin and was awesome.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

2 hours ago, NGMD said:

Are they concave with the high relief? I bought the Lunar Tiger and the ‘dished’ coin and was awesome.

Yes correct.  The effect is amazing.