• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fake barber quarter USA coin stay vigilant

2 hours ago, iacabu said:

I'd echo @stefffana 's comment above. Try it on the other settings, although I'd still expect it to be somewhere near

Edit- yes it should still be in the brackets, I've just tested a random 1940 half dollar

20240104_191635.jpg

Although if the right hand example moved over one position to the left, it would still be in spec, but on the left hand photo would be off the scale.

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

12 hours ago, stefffana said:

image.png.4a464b3693f63d8cc7ecacfa1d19511d.png

Do you have on your machine only one setting 90%, or there are more?

I can see is 90% US pre 1900 and your barber is post 1900...

The coin look as it should in my opinion.

12 hours ago, stefffana said:

image.png.4a464b3693f63d8cc7ecacfa1d19511d.png

Do you have on your machine only one setting 90%, or there are more?

I can see is 90% US pre 1900 and your barber is post 1900...

The coin look as it should in my opinion.

Yeah also done it on 1945 and same result, I find barber as they were also minted in eighteen hundreds are more accurate on 1900 I just took that photo though as it was the last one I tried 🤣 I know it dose look right it’s very odd as I said a very good fake 😬

2 hours ago, Mrpound said:

Yeah also done it on 1945 and same result, I find barber as they were also minted in eighteen hundreds are more accurate on 1900 I just took that photo though as it was the last one I tried 🤣 I know it dose look right it’s very odd as I said a very good fake 😬

2 hours ago, SidS said:

I does look a bit off to me, the legends a bit mushy. It could well be a fake.

Probably it's fake tho...

What it's scary is its quality. Somebody invested time and effort to make this, so should be thousands flooding around to be profitable...

Yeah I agree it’s very scary especially as my main focus is us coinage and someone has put a lot of time into this as, getting it the right size and weight and it not being silver isn’t an easy thing too achieve I imagine 😬

Posted (edited)

And here we go a unpleasant seller on eBay, I started the return process with thisIMG_9333.thumb.jpeg.5fbbef44f426699775bea570de8d4eb2.jpeg

He accepted and I received this

IMG_9331.jpeg.c4baa99b7037b20d68cc44453ab92684.jpeg

This is the description 

IMG_9332.thumb.jpeg.c8faafa28ab69f4830a234b4bc926c78.jpeg

so I replied with this

IMG_9328.jpeg.b499dc563a5804d3567698fbc57923ab.jpeg

I get back this charming reply

IMG_9329.thumb.jpeg.2910b44938c48cf96ee8eee81f74d782.jpeg

so I left him a gift ☺️

IMG_9330.thumb.jpeg.ba196e30507f311f41c1db1577991e60.jpeg

as we all know eBay is hardly worth the hassle half of the time

ps wouldnt Let me put idiot in feedback (offensive word) apparently so I put that
🤣

Edited by Mrpound

4 minutes ago, Mrpound said:

IMG_9332.thumb.jpeg.c8faafa28ab69f4830a234b4bc926c78.jpeg

as we all know eBay is hardly worth the hassle half of the time 🤣

Sorry to say but from that 'description' the coin's clearly not real, and you were being naive to think it might be. A genuine seller in the situation described wouldn't even know that fake 25c coins existed, and to an older British person being "sick" is vomiting, not being ill or needing treatment.
As for Ebay "not being worth the hassle", I can't see that honest buyers using common sense need experience any hassle at all. I've been an Ebay seller, and buyer, for twenty years. What has spoiled the platform if anything, is their Buyer Protection Programme that heavily sways towards the buyer at the sellers expense. And buyers that miss-use the returns process treating antiques or vintage collectables (such as I sell) as brand-new shop bought goods.

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

1 minute ago, Earthmetal said:

Sorry to say but from that 'description' the coin's clearly not real, and you were being naive to think it might be. A genuine seller in the situation described wouldn't even know that fake 25c coins existed, and to an older British person being "sick" is vomiting, not being ill or needing treatment.
As for Ebay "not being worth the hassle", I can't see that honest buyers using common sense need experience any hassle at all. I've been an Ebay seller, and buyer, for twenty years. What has spoiled the platform if anything, is their Buyer Protection Programme that heavily sways towards the buyer at the sellers expense. And buyers that miss-use the returns process treating antiques or vintage collectables (such as I sell) as brand-new shop bought goods.

Well as a seller it should be there responsible too know if something is a real or a fake not, not 50/50. So when someone dose buy it, all be it turns out too be a fake returning the item doesn’t require bad manners as I didn’t treat him as such, the unsureness of the listing allows me to buy it and see for myself it’s not called being naive it’s rolling the dice and the fact it turned out too be a good fake isn’t my problem, I spotted it I can return it.

Since when is selling fakes acceptable anyway unsure or not and selling off other dying peoples collection 🤣 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

As for Ebay "not being worth the hassle", I can't see that honest buyers using common sense need experience any hassle at all

Just missed that, so you’re saying I’m not an honest buyer 🤣 being a scammer got caught and is unhappy he will lose out on postage. Well maybe that requires the sellers listing too be crystal clear not so vague as i said and most people here the coin looks right, and it weighed right and the diameters were right so his vague listing lets me have a punt in my eyes.

and everyone has at least one bad experience on eBay being a buyer or a seller. 

Edited by Mrpound

5 minutes ago, Pm1987 said:

Personally don’t see what the seller done wrong here. Clearly states he’s unsure if real or not so and most likely no facility to test it himself or would have listed it much higher. 

Been rude and insulting, for a return 

Just now, Pm1987 said:

I can see why he was. You have wasted his time. Cost him money. And dumped negative feedback on him for no real reason. 

A seller should not sell something which is fake or unsure if it’s genuine if so don’t sell it I left the feedback after he decided to have ago.

25 minutes ago, Lancashire1 said:

I think your in the wrong ....the description clearly states he doesn't know if it's real or not. To me that means bought as seen at your risk. 

Sorry....I think your on your arse there.

You took a punt, lost and now want your stake money back. Bad form that

Thank you for your valuable input ☺️

It is a serious criminal offence in the UK to sell precious metals that are fake or counterfeit. Penalties are up to a maximum of an unlimited fine and 2 years in prison. It is also against eBay rules to sell replicas or fakes of any kind, not that they enforce their own rules unless someone lights a fire under their arse

It's unacceptable under any circumstances to "maybe" commit a crime and cause losses or distress to another individual when the situation could have easily been avoided. There are both official legal and unofficial company policies to avoid the possibility of such incidents taking place

It's up to the seller, buyer and eBay to resolve the situation regarding negative feedback. I wouldn't have bought the item in the first place but if I did buy this item and was the victim of criminal activity that caused me to experience financial loss, I wouldn't be happy about it either. I wouldn't shed any tears about postage costs, that's for sure

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative