• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie with some questions

1 hour ago, Earthmetal said:

As a slight aside, I wonder why the half-once coins are relatively ignored? 1/10, 1/4 & 1oz are all more popular.

1/4 same size as the sov, 1/10 for the povoes. 1/2s are unpopular for the same reason double sovs are, namely you don't get the same liquidity of the smaller ones, and not the aesthetics of the big

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

2 hours ago, Earthmetal said:

As a slight aside, I wonder why the half-once coins are relatively ignored? 1/10, 1/4 & 1oz are all more popular.

Tenths and quarters are for the peasants like me that want to play the big game but can't afford the full ounce, I would have to save 6 months to get a full ounce at my current buying rate; once you start being flush and having grands in your pockets, I don't see why buying the half, unless you want the odd one for collection.

3 minutes ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

I don't see why buying the half, unless you want the odd one for collection

I tried looking for a couple a few years back and found them relatively hard to come by. Always out of stock so just went for best value instead

Welcome

, you may find that your emphasis shifts as you find out more. My first foray was gold bullion, any gold bullion.  Over time I moved to RM coins only for reasons that have been previously stated. I mixed quarters and ounces and chose  designs I liked and fortunately prices have risen since I first started. Now it’s a hobby. 
I’ve only been on here a few months and learnt far more than when I was “flying solo”….so good luck to you and remember the only stupid question is the one you didn’t ask.

57 minutes ago, ChardsCoinandBullionDealer said:

Firstly, welcome to the forum! You're asking some very sensible questions. You might be interested in giving our Beginner's Guide to Gold Investing a quick read over, as it does tackle some of these queries:

https://www.chards.co.uk/guides/beginners-guide-to-gold-investing

If you do decide to go ahead with a gold Brit, we do have them in stock (new and secondary market) at a low premium at the moment, but our best outright deal at the moment is a 2% premium on secondary market here (£1642.58 at time of writing):

https://www.chards.co.uk/gold-britannia-coin-minty/12650

Wherever you buy from, welcome to gold investing! :) 

Wherever you buy from the guides that chards have put together are well worth a read🤔

1 hour ago, ChardsCoinandBullionDealer said:

Firstly, welcome to the forum! You're asking some very sensible questions. You might be interested in giving our Beginner's Guide to Gold Investing a quick read over, as it does tackle some of these queries:

https://www.chards.co.uk/guides/beginners-guide-to-gold-investing

If you do decide to go ahead with a gold Brit, we do have them in stock (new and secondary market) at a low premium at the moment, but our best outright deal at the moment is a 2% premium on secondary market here (£1642.58 at time of writing):

https://www.chards.co.uk/gold-britannia-coin-minty/12650

Wherever you buy from, welcome to gold investing! :) 

See, is enough to say the name.

image.gif.ec004f72fd328c87a0deaa63b9c54095.gif

18 hours ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

Add Chards and we're game :)

They're at number ten.

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

1 minute ago, Cubic said:

Thanks guys, you lot are great! 

Took the plunge and made my first purchase today. Ordered the Brit and should have it tomorrow! 

you gonna be excited...... keep a listen oot for the postie cos if you miss him..... oh dear, we all know that feeling matey

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

11 minutes ago, Cubic said:

Thanks guys, you lot are great! 

Took the plunge and made my first purchase today. Ordered the Brit and should have it tomorrow! 

From where and how much if I may ask?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

On another subject. I have a box full or old coins. There's quite a few silver coins but no gold I'm afraid. I've no idea what to do with it, where would you take a box of old coins?

1 minute ago, Cubic said:

On another subject. I have a box full or old coins. There's quite a few silver coins but no gold I'm afraid. I've no idea what to do with it, where would you take a box of old coins?

You could try and find an antique type shop, or break into bundles and make a post on here and I'm sure people will help identify. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

On 03/01/2024 at 13:48, 17RSB said:

Also in regards to where to purchase I d suggest upgrading your membership to Silver and then you can use the Compare tab where all the dealers are and it shows best price for a variety of coins (if your going down the dealer route). Or you can purchase off the forum and get lower premiums too.

For some reason I don't see Atkinsons on most of the 'compare' comparisons (?).

This is the link I have saved. I'm sure it varies but I found them cheapest last year at around 1.6% premium on pre-owned 1ozs, which is very good from a major dealer (could find cheaper on here or other groups, but do your due diligence on the seller ofc).

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/gold/gold-coins/1oz-gold-coins/pre-owned-2023-uk-queen-elizabeth-ii-britannia-1oz-gold-coin?pid=27445

@Cubic with your intention of a regular purchase I would speak to a few before you buy too much, and make sure you have a super helpful account manager/contact in place :) 

Edited by kimchi