• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie with some questions

Tavex are certainly one of the best when it comes to packaging. 

Feel free to send a few pics over of those coins you have, or as mentioned put them up in a post 

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

2 hours ago, Cubic said:

Thanks guys, you lot are great! 

Took the plunge and made my first purchase today. Ordered the Brit and should have it tomorrow! 

Well done you! 
All I can say is that you have fallen on your feet, there are folk here with a huge amount of knowledge which they are happy to share (I can’t say wisdom as some of them also frequent the NBS🙄

I look forward to seeing photographs in the ‘Today I have received’ thread. 🖖

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).

2 hours ago, Cubic said:

On another subject. I have a box full or old coins. There's quite a few silver coins but no gold I'm afraid. I've no idea what to do with it, where would you take a box of old coins?

British or Foreign? In case you're not aware, British silver coins are 92.5% pure prior to 1920, then 50% 1920-1946. No silver after that.
A few on here, including myself, will buy British & Foreign silver for spot so they'd be no bother to move on should you wish.
Some bronze coins can be worth something if mega-rare or amazing condition.
For foreign this site is superb for ascertaining composition:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?ct=coin

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

On 04/01/2024 at 20:06, James32 said:

This type of cardboard box, but as far as dealer's go, very good presentation. 

Screenshot_20240104_200513_Chrome.jpg

On 04/01/2024 at 20:07, Cubic said:

Nice! Beats the envelope with a coin rattling round in it I was expecting 🤣

Well, I guess we were both right. No box and it came rattling round in an envelope! Its still fairly nice though!

17044960890799125746624944459761.jpg

59 minutes ago, Cubic said:

Well, I guess we were both right. No box and it came rattling round in an envelope! Its still fairly nice though!

17044960890799125746624944459761.jpg

That's strange especially on a 1oz coin. They must have recently upgraded/downgraded rather their packaging. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

10 hours ago, James32 said:

That's strange especially on a 1oz coin. They must have recently upgraded/downgraded rather their packaging. 

Shrinkflation.

16 hours ago, Hangryjock said:

Hello, also new here, thanks for posting this thread and for all the replies, very helpful and informative. Looking forward to learning more! 

Welcome aboard 

17 hours ago, Hangryjock said:

Hello, also new here, thanks for posting this thread and for all the replies, very helpful and informative. Looking forward to learning more! 

Hello fellow nub!

Another question for you guys if you don't mind? Is there any benefit to buying 1oz coins like the beast coins over a standard Brit? Will they be worth more down the line or is the additional premium just purely cosmetic to enjoy now?

6 minutes ago, James32 said:

Depends solely on purchase price. You make your money when you buy, not when you sell.

Queens beasts will always hold a premium over standard brits, but that premium will unfortunately diminish the higher gold price becomes. So I'd say a mixture of both, some premium and some joy of ownership. With that being said,,just wait long enough and with a higher spot price none of the above will matter anyway.

So let's say you bought a Brit and a Beast today, same spot but paid an extra £40 premium for the beast. In 5-10 years are they worth the same or is the beast still worth a little/lot more?

That is the 24 million dollar question! 
Ask yourself what is the value to you? The gold value? £40 extra in your appreciation of the beast? Have for some unknown reason all the beasts except yours been lost or recalled? Too many other questions to list……simple answer is 42🤷🏽‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Cubic said:

So let's say you bought a Brit and a Beast today, same spot but paid an extra £40 premium for the beast. In 5-10 years are they worth the same or is the beast still worth a little/lot more?

All things equal, the Beast will be worth a little more. But you will pay substantially more than an extra £40 at the outset. 

6 minutes ago, James32 said:

All things equal, the Beast will be worth a little more. But you will pay substantially more than an extra £40 at the outset. 

I've just been looking at the Brit vs the Unicorn. There's only £31 on top for the unicorn on Tavex

2 minutes ago, Cubic said:

I've just been looking at the Brit vs the Unicorn. There's only £31 on top for the unicorn on Tavex

So that would be the Tudor Unicorn?

2 minutes ago, Cubic said:

Here's your problem in my humble opinion. Look into a membership and you will see that dealer prices are in large part inflated. Gold is currently trading very close to spot price on here.

Also that's the Tudor beasts.

Queen and Tudor beasts …unlimited mintage. Oriental border brit total mintage 5000 per year between 2018-2020. Somebody will correct me if I’m wrong🤓

percentage of coins getting lost,melted, damaged over time you would think the oriental would be the better bet. But can you collect a nice looking “set” no so would three QBs give you a better return🤔

variables overlaying variables ….just musing, no expert. Pay your money and spin the wheel Mr Bond😵‍💫

9 minutes ago, James32 said:

Here's your problem in my humble opinion. Look into a membership and you will see that dealer prices are in large part inflated. Gold is currently trading very close to spot price on here.

Also that's the Tudor beasts.

I didnt know there were more than 1 set of beats, sorry!

5 minutes ago, Cubic said:

I didnt know there were more than 1 set of beats, sorry!

The original queen's beasts will have heavier premium as harder to get but still very possible. The tudor beasts are easier to aquire as recently released. So far there's the lion/yale/bull/unicorn. 

56 minutes ago, Cubic said:

In my inexperienced opinion, at least the £40, likely more.

On 07/01/2024 at 20:11, Brit2023 said:

Queen and Tudor beasts …unlimited mintage. Oriental border brit total mintage 5000 per year between 2018-2020. Somebody will correct me if I’m wrong🤓

percentage of coins getting lost,melted, damaged over time you would think the oriental would be the better bet. But can you collect a nice looking “set” no so would three QBs give you a better return🤔

variables overlaying variables ….just musing, no expert. Pay your money and spin the wheel Mr Bond😵‍💫

Some QB going for 1800 each when spot is 1600. The dragon and completer especially

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

On 07/01/2024 at 20:11, Brit2023 said:

Queen and Tudor beasts …unlimited mintage.

I'm not sure that this can be true, there is only 125,000 tonnes of gold in existence, and are they still minting 2016-2021 Queen's beasts coins? I think it's more a case of 'currently unknown' mintage. From my uneducated eye I would say that both 'Beasts' sets are a good investment and will hold a nice premium going forward, get 'em while they're hot off the press IMHO.