• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie with some questions

13 minutes ago, Kitalon said:

I'm not sure that this can be true, there is only 125,000 tonnes of gold in existence, and are they still minting 2016-2021 Queen's beasts coins? I think it's more a case of 'currently unknown' mintage. From my uneducated eye I would say that both 'Beasts' sets are a good investment and will hold a nice premium going forward, get 'em while they're hot off the press IMHO.

unlimited mintage simply put means 'there is not an upper limit', as long as they are selling them they will mint them, until the year changes etc etc

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 minute ago, Cubic said:

Just deciding the next purchase which will be soon. Another Brit, a Tudor Beast or a Krug? 

Fenlander had some TBs listed if that helps?

5 minutes ago, Cubic said:

Just deciding the next purchase which will be soon. Another Brit, a Tudor Beast or a Krug? 

If its got to be 1oz, Brit or TB... but your choice, I just sometimes think Krugs are living on past reputation,  or more liquid coins you could get into the sov love affair like most on here, the sov is a right sl@g, everyone loves her 🤣

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Just now, Gordy said:

If its got to be 1oz, Brit or TB... but your choice, I just sometimes think Krugs are living on past reputation,  or more liquid coins you could get into the sov love affair like most on here, the sov is a right sl@g, everyone loves her 🤣

Yeah I plan to get some sovs eventually but liquid isn't something I'm concerned with right now, I'm planning on keeping what I accrue for the long haul!

So many things that need bloody bought and so few pennies to get them bloody bought with!

A Krug is stacking gold at low premium. Krugs can be lovely and you can collect them in their own right but I'd prefer a sov or a Brit for only fractionally more money

The TBs and QBs regularly catch my eye. If I really wanted one I'd buy one. The premiums aren't crazy and 2024 is the Year of the Dragon

Buying CGT-exempt gold like QBs, TBs, Brits and sovs is a no-brainer, the only question is what order you buy them in 😁

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

I've decided that whenever I'm making a major gold purchase Im gonna grab a couple of smaller items at the same time which won't be a short time financial miss but should add up quick over the years. Question is, what's the better option, 1g or sometimes 2g gold bars or 2oz or sometimes 4oz of silver coins?

6 hours ago, Cubic said:

I've decided that whenever I'm making a major gold purchase Im gonna grab a couple of smaller items at the same time which won't be a short time financial miss but should add up quick over the years. Question is, what's the better option, 1g or sometimes 2g gold bars or 2oz or sometimes 4oz of silver coins?

There's not really a better option. They all have their place. I realise that's not much help, but whatever you get will be better than getting nothing.

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

• 1 month later...
On 24/02/2024 at 22:04, Cubic said:

Can anyone recommend me a capsule with various grommet sizes that will take 1oz Brits, gold and silver and sovs please?

Air-tites 'H' capsules have a range of direct fit and black ring versions that will fit coins between sovs and 39mm or so.  22mm rings for sovs, 27mm or 28mm for double sovs or most 1/2oz, 33mm for most 1oz coins, and 36mm for quints or 50 peso coins.  You can also get 'T capsules' in 22mm black ring variants that will fit sovs.  You can also get 39 and 40mm bare caps that will fit 1oz silver coins, and 39mm Leuchtturm ultra caps will also fit into H tubes, although the Leuchtturm 40mm caps don't quite fit H tubes, so you'll need to get Air-Tites ones for that.  The major sources of 40mm coins are U.S. mint (ASEs), Casa Moneia do Mexico (Libertads), Perth Mint, RAM, NZ Mint and KOMSCO.  Most other vendors do 39mm.

The main strike against Air-Tites is that they're a bit pricey and a faff to get as you often have to import them from America.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the city (London) is just a tube ride away, so I prefer 1oz Britannia's with a view to both buy/sell directly (in person) with the likes of Tavex (typically buy) Auronum (typically sell). Price/spreads vary according to whether they have too many/few, so as ever a case of shop (web browse) around at the time. Spreads that way are acceptably low/tight, convenience is good (no issues with post/insurance). Sovs and the premiums are significantly higher, but you may get back some of that if you can sell via post/to others. I prefer the idea that I could relatively easily sell 10 1oz Britannia's in a afternoon without having to instead advertise/wrap/photo/record/insure/post/track ...etc. multiple smaller units all over the place with the additional risk of disputes etc. Similar to in-person banking where you just have to book a appointment/slot in order to make deposits/withdrawals. You'll also be able to use their tester as well, rather than having to buy your own.

As for up/down price projections, I match gold with stock purchases/sales, can't predict which will be higher/lower in a year/whatever time, but there's a degree of inverse correlation so things tend to average/work out. Rather than repeatedly selling some coins one year, buying the next ... cycling, I'll make 'adjustments' by going long or short 'paper' gold (ETF's/Paxos/whatever). Prefer to make actual physical gold purchase/sales in infrequent larger (multiple ounces) amounts. 10+ coins and typically you'll also get a better price.