• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Moral dilemma, What would you do if you were approached to buy some coins? Then you discover an extremely rare coin in the collection

ZRPMs

6 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Your pictures suck Zac :)

Bottom right

Sorry @Orpster. Hopefully will be getting a camera soon. I have asked @James32 for tips on taking pictures. He told me to lick the lens to give it a nostalgic feel. You're going to tell me now he was pulling my chain. 

By the way, Damn, your right. Well that was a short game. Anyone want a close up fuzzy picture?

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

Thought it was a proof 1953 😆 

So did the guy that tried to sell it to me. His face was a picture when I told him. I would have taken it but we know how good that would have looked.

3 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Sorry @Orpster. Hopefully will be getting a camera soon. I have asked @James32 for tips on taking pictures. He told me to lick the lens to give it a nostalgic feel. You're going to tell me now he was pulling my chain. 

By the way, Damn, your right. Well that was a short game. Anyone want a close up fuzzy picture?

I think you may need to get that appraised by someone more knowledgeable than me Zac, I selected that one as it does appear it may be more matte - really tricky though with your Vaseline coated lens.  I would suggest you stick it in a capsule for now and get some much better pictures.  @Belmont would be a good starting point once you have them.  I think the chances are slim though so do not get too excited 

Thanks @Orpster tbf I most likely have killed the lens. I've been welding with the phone in my pocket. It has weld spatter on it. The phone on several occasions has been bog snorkelling to mention but a few mishaps. It may be just how the light catches it. In person there isn't a great variation between any of them, But may thanks for the advice.   

8 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Magnifying glass app on you phone. Makes a massive difference especially under natural light.

Its the phone really I've killed the lens.

35 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Your pictures suck Zac :)

Bottom right

That is why he is looking for a new camera ☺️

The nicest coin is 1.  No7 is from a polished pendant

Never Chase and Never Regret 

1 hour ago, ZRPMs said:

Here we go. A few pictures of my 1958 sovereigns. The coin in question is amongst these. Which do you think it is (12.5% chance of getting it right), As always with my pictures. They are rubbish.

20231214_121228.thumb.jpg.2b8fa1acc963b423ea4ba37c5cd040f0.jpg20231214_121436.thumb.jpg.e2cf8044aa448a664a9e7bff2dbaceeb.jpg

These are the same coins and same order just different back ground.

20231214_120003.thumb.jpg.56840f7e53c7d04b5a1ea2bf0468b131.jpg20231214_120118.thumb.jpg.b51b621d24d8d30b36507ad6b3508cc2.jpg

Number 3

Edited by Goldfever20

Sorry @Goldfever20 That was one I had from a best buy deal Last year about this time. I managed to get a bucket list purchase. @Orpster got it first time.

Or did you make a reference to the 3 / 8 mix up by the seller. In which case you're right It was 8  

1 minute ago, James32 said:

So this isn't a 1593?

Screenshot_20231214_135307_Chrome.jpg

I take a good picture don't I. Want to buy it. The last one went for £320,000 in 2014, Baldwin's was the auctioneer. Mates rate I can do it for the same price. Totally ignoring inflation. 

I take a good picture don't I. Want to buy it. The last one went for £320,000 in 2014, Baldwin's was the auctioneer. Mates rate I can do it for the same price. Totally ignoring inflation. 

First time I've seen a phone with built-in anti ageing properties.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

On 13/12/2023 at 11:51, ZRPMs said:

Just a quick Moral dilemma for you to mull over. A friend directs some one they've had dealings with or someone finds out you buy or are into coins or whatever. You are approached buy an unfamiliar person. They ask if you'd be interested in buying a small collection of coins (silver and Gold). On the face of it, nothing out of the ordinary. You meet up and a quick scan over the coins they look like average examples of run of the mill coins. You continue to chat and it's clear the guy doesn't know much about them apart from what he's picked up from just looking on the likes of BBP. You explain that they are usually at the higher end of the retail market for the coins and if he was to sell to them they give quite a bit less. That's understood then you get asked for your offer. However you take a closer look now and discover a super rare coin worth tens of thousands of pound going from the last time it sold. What do you do? Would you 

A, Offer him a bit more than BBP would offer but a bit less than their retail.

B, Tell him you like the collection and would give what BBP are charging for them.

C, Explain that you think there is a rare coin but that it's not worth as much as it its just to get the scoop of the century.

D, Or would you come clean and tell him that he may have a super rare coin and that its worth potentially ten's of thousands of pound at a numismatic auction. 

Had the discussion the other night with some folk and found it quite interesting what some would do. I said I don't think I'd feel comfortable with anything less than option D, Only because I wouldn't want any of my family to be in the same position with my collection should I let loose my mortal coil. I've tried to inform them but you never know.  

E - Pat yourself on the back, you got a chance to buy something before @James32 came along 😀😁😆 

I think between A and C, definately not D.

It would be D if it were a close friend/relative

This sort of deals with strangers entail risks of all sorts, that need to be accounted for. Even the risk that what you think is a 'bargin' might turn out to be a scam and you're the mark.

I'd play it safe rather than risk being sorry later on..

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

I would first breakout the XRF.

Funny. Bought from BBP and rare in the same sentence? Now I highly doubt it. Dealers screen all inventory before it leaves the shop.

Chards personally goes with his loupe over every coin before it hits the website and keeps all the rare stuff for himself and subsequently auction’s it off.