• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

bars or sovereigns . . . long term invest want to keep it simple 💰👑

richGOLD

hey folks new here,

I've spent a few weeks researching gold as i want to diversify some of my cash with banks looking fairly shaky nowadays.

My initial inclination was to buy gold bars but have read a lot about fakes, bars not being as liquid and I don't really like you have to keep them in a plastic wrapper. The general consensus is sovereigns have more advantages over bars.

However I don't really want to go down the rabbit of collecting and selecting different years, heads etc. as I procrastinate enough over other things.

I'm thinking I'll start with 10k and maybe keep that up annually. So far I've been looking on bullionbypost.eu as I'm in Portugal and also bitgild.com.

Any advice would be appreciated, and especially some suggestions on good sovereigns to hold for the long term. 

Ta,

Rich 

If you're just buying for investment purposes you'll want to be a close to spot price as possible (within reason). If you're buying from a reputable dealer like BBP you won't need to worry about fakes, so if bars are a lot cheaper then go for bars. I do prefer coins, but here in the UK we have CGT exemptions to benefit from, you'd have to see if there's something similar in Portugal.

Obviously, where you live is a little different to us here in the UK, but go with what you can get at the best price. I have a few small (very) gold bars … they are nice, but I have mainly gold sovereigns and smaller. Each to their own, but go for what fits in with your position best… maybe a bit of both?🤔😮good luck whichever way you go.

Most people advise to buy the cheapest i.e. bars. However, keep in mind that reputable dealers generally pay below spot for bars in comparison to coins. Yes, bars are cheaper, but you’ll have to hold on to them relatively longer to see any return on investment. Plus selling bars to private individuals is much more tedious due to questionable provenance and risk of counterfeiting.

Edited by Ignorant

Agree with @Ignorant bars can be counterfeit, not least the cast bars, whereas many experienced sovereign collector will spot a fake upon sight. It also depends on the size of bar, if it's too thick people could insert tungsten. Minted bars are safer in this regard, but they have higher premiums so why not just minted coins. 

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Knowing that you are in Europe and using Euros, why not see what deals @SVcollector on Sovereigns. It would be cheaper for you than buying from BBP. 

100% Keep away from bars. More headaches than they are worth.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

It'll come down to your preference for bars or coins and only you can way up the risk of tax free or not in PT. 

As many have said above, we all like to try and get as close to spot as possible, but due to the UK government, the vast majority will aim for sovs or fractional brits (gold) as they are VAT and CGT free. This is because the coins are classed  as legal tender.
Due to this, the above have increased liquidity if you needed to sell some in a short time frame.

Edited by Gruff
Update

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

thanks folks

I can actually order to an address in UK. Been looking at these;

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/gold/gold-coins/1oz-gold-coins/pre-owned-post-2012-uk-britannia-1oz-gold-coin-mixed-dates

Premium is just over 2% on these and CGT / VAT free. Thoughts?

12 hours ago, richGOLD said:

Premium is just over 2% on these and CGT / VAT free. Thoughts?

2% premium on sovs is pretty good. Bars will have no advantage I can see - plus sovs are recognised all over the world.

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

3 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

Sovereigns offer a nice sweet spot of liquidity, low premiums and some nice tax exemptions, so they're a no brainer if you want to accumulate gold.  Having said that, it pays to have some idea of the numismatics of sovereigns if you're going to get into them.  The trio of Marsh, Allen and Spink are a good start to do some homework.

A safe start is Gillicks, Machins, and perhaps George V.  These are all readily available in good condition and low premiums, so you can buy/sell with about as low risk as is possible with sovs, or gold in general.  As they're very common, sovs generally go for lower premiums than gold bars of similar size, or in fact most gold coins of that size.  

Protip: Don't buy shields for the sake of buying shields. By and large, these days they're being sold at prices where the vendor has already extracted the value of them, so there's no particular investment advantage and it's easy to overpay.  They're not as uncommon as some would make out,1 and there are a lot of chancers about flogging poor quality examples at rather inflated prices.  

If you're feeling more adventurous, you can go into pre-WWI sovs, but you do have to start paying more attention to the condition.  Allen's Grading British Coins is a quick guide to what sovereigns (and various other coins) should look like in various grades, so you can use it as a guide to estimate the grade of sovs.  Marsh's The Gold Sovereign has a list of all the variations mintages and can help you identify sovs, and Spink's Coins of England and the United Kingdom has some indicative prices in various grades, so if you find something unusual then you might be able to get some sense of a dealer price.  Chances are you wouldn't realise that much yourself, but you can sometimes identify items that might be worth more than just bullion value.

You can do sovs with limited knowledge if you know what to stick to, and then push the boat out a bit if you're feeling more confident later.

1 - Every sovereign minted in London between 1825 and 1871 is a shield, and about half of all Australian sovs minted between 1872-1887.  Shields are not uncommon, but as they were circulated coinage, examples in good condition are less common.  There are lot of poor quality shields on the market, and if you overpay for poorer quality items you might not get the money back out.

Thanks for the tip mate - and what about the modern sovs? I have been looking at accumulating best value sovs from dealers and they have just sent me 2000 dated sovs

2 minutes ago, 17RSB said:

Thanks for the tip mate - and what about the modern sovs? I have been looking at accumulating best value sovs from dealers and they have just sent me 2000 dated sovs

Modern sovs tend to be a bit love or hate due to the colour (no silver in the alloy), but there are still plenty of folks who will buy them, so I don't think they have a problem with liquidity.

Normally, with best value sovs you would expect a mix - it won't always be modern ones.  However, generally they've already had someone go over them looking for more valuable items so you're probably not going to turn up an uncirculated 1841 out of your best value lot.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

33 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

Modern sovs tend to be a bit love or hate due to the colour (no silver in the alloy), but there are still plenty of folks who will buy them, so I don't think they have a problem with liquidity.

Normally, with best value sovs you would expect a mix - it won't always be modern ones.  However, generally they've already had someone go over them looking for more valuable items so you're probably not going to turn up an uncirculated 1841 out of your best value lot.

Ah that makes sense. One final question what year did they stop using silver in the alloy?

1 minute ago, 17RSB said:

Ah that makes sense. One final question what year did they stop using silver in the alloy?

About 1980 or thereabouts.  You can see the change in colour of Machin sovs as they use less and less silver.

19th century sovs used silver in the alloy as the refining tech of the day wasn't terribly good and gold normally comes out of the ground with some impurities including silver.  Typically, Victorian sovs were about 0.3% to 0.4% silver; you don't need a lot of silver in the alloy to lift the colour quite substantially.  Chards web site has an article on this.  They carried on with some silver in the alloy until they stopped minting sovs in 1932.

Interestingly, you can see some European coinage from about the turn of the century with a noticeable coppery tinge (I've got some roosters and vrenellis like this), so mints have been producing gold cons with very low silver content for a while.

When they started making Gillick sovs in the 1950s, they kept with an alloy containing some silver (although, from the colour, I think a little less than the pre-war sovs).  Then during the 1970s, you can see the colour of Machin sovs changing as they use less and less silver in the alloy.  By the latter part of the 1980s they were making coins with little or no silver at all.  

The laws only mandate the gold content and don't require silver in the alloy, so currently the Mint uses a gold/copper alloy with the rose gold colour.  If you do the maths, the amount of silver needed would come to about 1.5p per coin.  As this would significantly improve the desirability (and therefore selling price) of the coins, it's not clear why they don't make coins with an alloy containing silver, and the Mint have never provided a satisfactory explanation.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

1 hour ago, Silverlocks said:

.. it's not clear why they don't make coins with an alloy containing silver, and the Mint have never provided a satisfactory explanation.

...maybe because they know silver is far more valuable than they (currently) pretend it is?🧐

Food for thought...

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

34 minutes ago, JohnA1 said:

...maybe because they know silver is far more valuable than they (currently) pretend it is?🧐

Food for thought...

The amount needed is about 20 milligrams per coin.  They can buy it for about 1.5p/coin now.  Even if silver went up by a factor of 10 it would be 15p/coin and the mint could easily recover that by bumping the price of the coin by less than £1.

If you want to go tinfoil hat, a far more likely explanation is that they want to push folks off sovereigns and onto higher margin product lines like Brits or their .917 and fine gold collectibles.

Edited by Silverlocks

I prefer the ‘older colour’ but the new ones are perfectly acceptable and a lot shinier , I if that’s  your bag.    
if you manage to acquire a ‘pile’ of sovs over time they all look great together 

Just now, CANV said:

I prefer the ‘older colour’ but the new ones are perfectly acceptable and a lot shinier , I if that’s  your bag.    
if you manage to acquire a ‘pile’ of sovs over time they all look great together 

What can I say?

image.thumb.jpeg.a077af37bde842d4f437a032223c371c.jpeg

4 hours ago, 17RSB said:

Hi everyone

I am also new and had the same question but I took the plunge and went for sovs over bars purely because of how liquid they are especially on here. 

Smart choice until you build a foundation. Do treat yourself to a must have every once in a while to keep things interesting. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

it's not clear why they don't make coins with an alloy containing silver, and the Mint have never provided a satisfactory explanation

Probably find that they changed their production method to increase volume and a change of alloy was needed to produce satisfactory results (less scratching, oxyidization, ect). 

They wouldn't want to give a answer saying they changed what was tradition to get a extra 5 sovs an hour. 

Complete stab in the dark 

20 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Probably find that they changed their production method to increase volume and a change of alloy was needed to produce satisfactory results (less scratching, oxyidization, ect). 

They wouldn't want to give a answer saying they changed what was tradition to get a extra 5 sovs an hour. 

Complete stab in the dark 

I suspect the flat surface is to do with the die making.  I have read somewhere that the dies are chrome plated now, although they still produce some with satin finishes, which suggests they can make dies with the texture used on the historical sovs. 

I'm not convinced of the argument about production volumes, as the 2000-2015 figures (see below) suggest that the mintages are something like 1% of what they were (about 30m) at the peak of production just before WWI.  In terms of die cutting costs, the die numbering of the 19th century suggests that a small handful of dies made with 1860s technology would be enough for the entire production run of today (let alone what's possible with current tech), so I'm unconvinced of there being significant benefit to chrome plating the dies either.

Unless they've got some hard constraints on the sale price, the cost of manufacture is dominated by the cost of the gold, and I don't see a lot of benefit to penny pinching elsewhere.

Sovereign Proof Sovereign Half Sovereign
2000 129,069 12,159 146,822 7,458
2001 49,462 15,000 94,763 4,596
2002 * 75,264 20,500 61,347 10,000
2003 43,230 16,220 47,818 4,868
2004 30,688 12,685 34,924 4,446
2005 + 45,542 15,458 30,299 5,011
2006 33,012 11,485 Mintage Unknown 4,173
2007 27,628 11,418 75,000 2,442
2008 58,894 10,872 75,000 2,465
2009 x 60,292 9,770 50,000 5,412
2010 243,158 8,828 250,000 5,370
2011 253,773 8,209 50,000 5,287
2012 # 432,925 8,158 250,000 2,303
2013 261,581 10,158 1,051 + 124 Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) 1,863
2014 261,216 7,500 9,900 BU 4,075
2015 113,177 9,800 5,000 BU 4,600

Edited by Silverlocks