• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

my very first full gold sov arrived

goldlips

21 hours ago, ZRPMs said:

Before you know it you'll be collecting the different monarchs, then the different heads of each monarch. Someone will tell you about the mint marks, then you'll have to have at least one of each of those. Before you know it you'll be doing date runs. 🤣 Congratulations on your first sovereign. 

Date runs? Who even does that ?😏

On 25/07/2023 at 13:13, ZRPMs said:

Before you know it you'll be collecting the different monarchs, then the different heads of each monarch. Someone will tell you about the mint marks, then you'll have to have at least one of each of those. Before you know it you'll be doing date runs. 🤣 Congratulations on your first sovereign. 

I’ve only just joined tonight and you know me so well 🤣🤣🤣

On 25/07/2023 at 11:48, goldlips said:

wow, these things are tiny lol, having never seen one in person before, im quite shocked how small they are, still very happy with it though.

Good stuff goldlips which monarch and year out of interest??

20 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Congratulations, but out of interest what is it?  - Date, type, source, cost etc. You will always remember your first sovereign, so please share. Mine was a 1997 Proof!…..

Cheers,   

hi im not sure what year it is, ill have to get an englarged pic of it so i can make it out, its qe2, bought from Atkinson's, was £380 delivered ( i get a 1% discount on top of this with my credit card) it looks like it was just minted yesterday (but clearly its not as it was a used market coin) not sure what you mean by type though, as ive said else where, im only interested in the cheapest possible ones, as im just turning pounds into gold at the cheapest way possible, hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, 8ace said:

I also have just got my first Sovereign. Whatever you do, don't compare it to a kilo silver coin. 

spacer.png

I know which I'd prefer in my pocket... 😄

Edited by Minted

12 minutes ago, 8ace said:

I also have just got my first Sovereign. Whatever you do, don't compare it to a kilo silver coin. 

spacer.png

Very nice, Mummy and her little boy together. All jokes aside nice coins.

On 25/07/2023 at 13:45, goldlips said:

im not like you gold addicts lol, i wont be collecting any "fancy" coins etc, im just interested in the lowest gram price possible to have a little gold and silver collection, so please do not try and encourage me to take your drugs, some of you have a nasty habbit.

Famous lasts words.

I’m saving this. You’ll be on NBS soon asking ‘where did it all go wrong’?

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

On 25/07/2023 at 20:38, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

[ . . . ]When I look in the mirror I don't recognise myself. 

Try without the makeup.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

On 25/07/2023 at 11:48, goldlips said:

wow, these things are tiny lol, having never seen one in person before, im quite shocked how small they are, still very happy with it though.

Gold has a very high specific gravity, nearly twice that of silver, so the coins tend to be quite small.  You get used to it - get a tube together and you'll start to feel the weight.

Gold was uncommon in Europe, so medieval gold coins tended to be very small.  Florins Ducats, Ecu d'Or, were all very small, about 3.5g.  Guineas were called such because large amounts of gold became available from West Africa, and the New World was a very big deal because gold and silver were really abundant there compared to Europe.  Charlemagne had such a downer on gold coins that he never had any minted for circulation.  Europe mostly used silver-based standards until the introduction of the gold standard in the 19th century.  Even then, silver coins weren't much to write home about; Groats were about 6g and silver pennies about 1.5g.

We have a data point for one year's mintage of sovereigns from Henry VII's reign, where a letter ordering 96lbs of gold to be minted into sovereigns was found in records at the Royal Mint.  Compare this to the height of sovereign mintage just before WWI where the total gold minted into sovs sat around the 200-300 ton mark annually.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

1 hour ago, Silverlocks said:

Gold has a very high specific gravity, nearly twice that of silver, so the coins tend to be quite small.  You get used to it - get a tube together and you'll start to feel the weight.

Gold was uncommon in Europe, so medieval gold coins tended to be very small.  Florins Ducats, Ecu d'Or, were all very small, about 3.5g.  Guineas were called such because large amounts of gold became available from West Africa, and the New World was a very big deal because gold and silver were really abundant there compared to Europe.  Charlemagne had such a downer on gold coins that he never had any minted for circulation.  Europe mostly used silver-based standards until the introduction of the gold standard in the 19th century.  Even then, silver coins weren't much to write home about; Groats were about 6g and silver pennies about 1.5g.

We have a data point for one year's mintage of sovereigns from Henry VII's reign, where a letter ordering 96lbs of gold to be minted into sovereigns was found in records at the Royal Mint.  Compare this to the height of sovereign mintage just before WWI where the total gold minted into sovs sat around the 200-300 ton mark annually.

Thank you, really interesting 🌞

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).