• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

anyone seen a fake new style gold brit yet?

shinobi

HI anybody seen or heard of fakes yet ?, with the new style gold brit coins , that come with the new security features like the padlock trident , DECUS ET TUTAMEN text , waves etc. Im wondering if a simple size and weight check is enough to confirm its real  due to these features alone, or is a sigma etc still needed at the point of sale ideally, thanks

8 hours ago, shinobi said:

HI anybody seen or heard of fakes yet ?, with the new style gold brit coins , that come with the new security features like the padlock trident , DECUS ET TUTAMEN text , waves etc. Im wondering if a simple size and weight check is enough to confirm its real  due to these features alone, or is a sigma etc still needed at the point of sale ideally, thanks

Haven't seen any personally, that's not to say they don't exist though. 

Magnet check 

Weight check 

Diameter and thickness check with digital calipers ( you will get the coins approx specs from bullionbypost.co.uk)

Ping test

Most important is to buy from reputable sources 

If you are still iffy you can do a specific gravity test.

Basically for a fake coin to weigh the same as geniune britannia, it will be either bigger in Diameter or thicker. Only tungsten can mimic gold but that's slightly Magnetic. 

If you pass all the above tests then your likely golden. 

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

its the tungsten coins that worry me they seem to have the same weight and size?, on other coins i think it was maple leaf the sizes seem exact, one guy on you tube said its the ping test that he found one with, im guessing the magnet test is not perfect with tungsten?

5 minutes ago, shinobi said:

its the tungsten coins that worry me they seem to have the same weight and size?, on other coins i think it was maple leaf the sizes seem exact, one guy on you tube said its the ping test that he found one with, im guessing the magnet test is not perfect with tungsten?

Your main objective should be to buy from reputable sources, dealers or established members on here. Your in effect buying their expertise too.

The tungsten coins are starting off as real coins,then are being drilled out and the innards will have a tungsten disc inside. Seen a few on YouTube/America but never here. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Never looked on Ali express, however I assume that this is where a lot of scammers buy stuff? However, like the one above, don’t know why anyone would make one as bad as that and why anyone would bother buying one?🤔😮

21 minutes ago, dicker said:

The above is horrendous and pounds is spelled with a double P

"PPUNDS" ...  🤣

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

10 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Can’t understand anyone stressing about fakes, just buy them from 100%  genuine dealers and you will have 0% issues.

PROBLEM SOLVED! 

Completely agree.  If you are new and have zero idea of counterfeit from genuine just buy from a dealer.  They cannot afford to rip you off.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, Petra said:

Never looked on Ali express, however I assume that this is where a lot of scammers buy stuff? However, like the one above, don’t know why anyone would make one as bad as that and why anyone would bother buying one?🤔😮

Probably use that to get people's email address and then send emails with the better ones 

Edited by Jake0111

4 hours ago, dicker said:

Sorry and to answer your question properly.  If you are taking about the Brits with the Security feature introduced 2 or 3 years - no.

I have seen on eBay 1 reasonable counterfeit. Lots on aliexpress, laughable really (see the pic)

IMG_3279.png

I think it was decent of the manufacturer of the "souvenir gold plated coin" to pretty clearly stamp it with a "this isn't real".

come on, it says PPUNDS

They are not trying to fool anyone, this is a novelty item

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”