• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Half Sovereign or 6oz of Siver?

Hi, I'm a new member here and relatively new to stacking precious metals, I'm just wondering what most stackers would prefer to stack, I think 1 half sovereign is roughly the same price as about 6oz of silver, so say 6 1oz Silver Britannias or other government minted coins. So would you prefer the 1 gold half sovereign or the 6 1oz silver government minted coins? please explain your reason. Thanks.

Hi, and welcome.

From a personal perspective - I would pick the half sov, however, this answer would probably vary from month to month, depending on which I fancied.

I would ask yourself the question of what you want it for - for me, I love the feel of a 1oz silver coin, and to look at a pile of 6 x 1oz, looks nicer than 1 (relatively small) gold coin. However, for a store of value, and, most likely, ease of resale should the need arise, I'd pick the gold. Everyone recognises a sovereign, and a half sov is well within most budgets.

If you're planning to stack for the long term, I'd say the half sov. if you just buy 1 a month then in a year, 12 half sovs will fit easily in the palm of your hand, 72 brits is just short of 3 tubes and 2.5kg.

"To get to where I need to be, I start by walking away from where I am."

If it's a choice between a half sov or 6 silver Britannia's then I'd just go for the half sov.  Better value for money.  Takes up less storage space.

If you want to collect something with visual interest and different designs, then 6oz of various silver could give you more enjoyment.  Afterall, one tiny half sov isn't much to look at.

I have a bit of both myself. 🙂

Edited by Minted

I am trying always to have in my stack approximately the same value gold/silver. So my answer is one month gold, one month silver.

I totally agree that having only gold is more convenient to stack, but the pleasure is almost 0.

Diversifying is more enjoyable and give me a little room to play the gold/silver ratio game.

I have in my stack gold and silver in many shapes and purities. My gold is in coins and jewellery shapes, my silver is in .999 bars, flatware and circulated silver world coins .800 to .925. I am happy with this and I will continue to build my stack in the same style. 

''Noteworthy is that in the instances of gold-seizures, US compulsory purchase of all gold in 1934, UK requiring all gold be submitted to the treasury in 1939 (outbreak of WW2), is that in both cases silver was excluded from that.'' (a forum member)

All the way for silver.

Edited by theman73

More silver coins on my website

dancu.co.uk

Half sovereign. No hesitation. Tax on silver in the UK knocks it out of the running for me. If your a collector and like the silver coins, fine. For stacking purposes, gold. With silver your in the hole for 20% straight away. Even pre-owned carries at least 10% of the original tax as a premium. It might be argued that in this case your only in the hole for 10%. But. In an emergency. Try going to a dealer and getting much more than spot for your silver. Gold on the other hand. 

3 minutes ago, theman73 said:

You are wrong.

I guarantee that buying for me the Lunar Rabbit coins for £26 will not generate a loss, quite the opposite.

You are right at the same time but only if you buy your silver from dealers.

Your choice.

Yep. The premium paid when buying silver from forum will be easily recovered when selling on secondary market.

Will be a loss only for those who will sell to dealers.

3 minutes ago, theman73 said:

You are wrong.

I guarantee that buying for me the Lunar Rabbit coins for £26 will not generate a loss, quite the opposite.

You are right at the same time but only if you buy your silver from dealers.

Your choice.

But that was my point in saying "In an emergency. Try going to a dealer and getting much more than spot for your silver." There will always be individuals or even the odd dealer that are the exception to the rule. but you have to search for them. I'm not against silver. I did say " If your a collector and like the silver coins, fine."

I have silver coins, bars, rounds and other Items. From my experience silver has always been harder to move in a quantity and a value that makes a difference if you need it. Lets say you need £2,500 for a boiler replacement. How much silver do you need to move to cover that. Chances are its kilo's of coins, bars, etc and also multiple customers. If in an emergency situation (Wife and kids freezing in the middle of winter). What are you going to do. Gas man can come tomorrow but he want's paying tomorrow. Is it a dealer or multiple listings here, ebay, facebook, where ever. As with all post's on here, they are personal opinions not financial advise. 

Personally I have 6 times more silver than gold in weight. However, given the choice, and yes it is my opinion. Gold half sovereign every time. And, as its is my choice, how can I be wrong. We are only giving points of view here. To be honest I would choose gold over platinum also and I have some of this also just for a balanced collection. 

17 hours ago, ZRPMs said:

But that was my point in saying "In an emergency. Try going to a dealer and getting much more than spot for your silver." There will always be individuals or even the odd dealer that are the exception to the rule. but you have to search for them. I'm not against silver. I did say " If your a collector and like the silver coins, fine."

I think this is the issue with silver in the UK.  You're essentially flogging to other stackers if you don't want to take a bath on the price.  This is getting a bit close to greater fool theory, as your market could tank for the same reason you do, and you don't have any other exit strategy.  With the price structure in the UK, this means that your value at risk is something like 30% of the value of your silver holdings, even without a change in spot.  Unfortunately there are no alternative markets you can flog it into, so you have a single point of failure in your exit strategy.  With gold the same thing can happen but the value at risk is more like 10%.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.